Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1980 450SL, Genuine Buddy 125cc Scooter
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no gauge lighting or interior lighting for that matter...except the dome light. Ive replaced the 2 lights (bulb 194) to no avail. The sockets are fine, 2 ohms w bulb..
Im guessing its the printed circuit path inside the panel that I twist the bulbs into. Worn out and not conducting power..? I dunno. I havent taken that apart yet because Ill need to plug the oil tube so I can keep driving it in the meantime.
If its the circuit path I suppose I would try to find some repair at radio shack for printed circuits.

Am I on the right track to a successful repair? anyone have this issue?

thanks again!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Look up "dimmer switch" or "rheostat"

The instrument cluster, switches directly below the center vents and climate control bulbs are connected to this dimmer switch. If this goes bad they all go out.

Some bridge the switch connectors, while some like me get a new replacement.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,783 Posts
You might want to look into this before you tear into the center console. The dimmer controls the climate control lights and the shift gate light as well as the cluster in cars with the vertical buttons (ours).

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,783 Posts
woops, my bad, have to look next time I'm in my car. Either way It does affect the climate lighting which is why he'd be pulling it all apart. So the first step would still be to address the cluster lights. I can't remember if there is a fuse for them or not. If there is he should check that first.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you. I was reading something on another site a minute ago and I never thought to play w the dimmer. for all i know its set to off.

however, I do know all the console lights from the shift gate to the horoz. piece are out, I realized this the way home from buying it.

BTW what is the far left rocker next to the antenna rocker on the horoz piece for? Mine does nothing.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Right, check the fuse first.

If the symptoms include no cluster lights, no lights on switches below center AC vents, no climate control lights, and they went out at the same time, it's a bad dimmer or fuse.

I remember fiddling with the dimmer one time and the PRNDSL light did not dim with the rest of the lights.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,783 Posts
most likely the switch for the rear dome light

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
most likely the switch for the rear dome light
thank you, of course it doesnt do anything, yet when the rear doors are open it lights bright. * Neat little feature I noticed the other day when i was cleaning the rear windows. I still find things like that..like the way you can light either side of the car for..parking i suppose... kinda silly but neat. :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, check the fuse first.

If the symptoms include no cluster lights, no lights on switches below center AC vents, no climate control lights, and they went out at the same time, it's a bad dimmer or fuse.

I remember fiddling with the dimmer one time and the PRNDSL light did not dim with the rest of the lights.
Fuses are all A-OK.

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
I still find things like that..like the way you can light either side of the car for..parking i suppose... kinda silly but neat.
Not silly in Germany, especially on narrow streets where overnight parking with one set of wheels up on the curb/sidewalk is often permitted. So depending upon which side of the car you put "off road", you're required to set the light switch to illuminate the street side set.

Another European thing is the rear fog lights. Whereas you have a switch position to accommodate the European requirement, US-spec rear light housings don't actually have the fog lamp feature installed. At least mine don't.

//greg//

·
Registered
'83 300CD, '11 Ford Flex Limited, '96 Ford F-350 PSD
638 Posts
you might want tot check to see if your tail lamps are working.

·
Registered
1999 CL500
677 Posts
funny thing is, many threads on this subject and its still a pressing subject even for me (problem still unresolved)

and to compound matters, i need a new european cluster for my 84 300D......so damn hard to find!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts