Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody seems to be able to answer this...I'd like to use a GSM phone integrated with the new MB I'm ordering (C230K) MB says its not possible. I know in Europe they obvioulsy offer it, and I've seen a few posts here that its only ~ $250. Anybody know if it will work, or how I could go about buying the 'kit' and installing it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: GSM Phone in US

I assume you mean none of the 'special MB' versions? If they just use various Nokias then I gould use an 88XX. Which brings up a point. does MB use special phones like they do in the US with Motorola?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Re: GSM Phone in US

All telephone-enabled MB cars in Europe are<br> prepared for Nokia phones (61-series, 71series<br> and 62-series. The upcoming 6310 will fit as<br> well). I have such a factory handsfree system connected with COMAND.<br> There is one Motorola model that is tri-band and<br> afaik works well in the US, it is Motorola Timeport.<br> <br> By the way: 88x are crap and i haven't seen<br> handsfree for it besides this crappy earphone piece. They are small indeed and look flashy,<br> but it ain't reliable phone.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Re: Re: GSM Phone in US

So are you saying that ONLY Nokia are used in Europe? Or that the Motorola (P series timeport - I think its called?) is also used?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GSM Phone in US

Not as factory setup. All that they have as<br> factory GSM setup is nokia. Of course you can<br> go for third-party handsfree kit and insert<br> whatever you want, but it wouldn't integrate<br> with onboard electronics. Which is not that<br> bad as i think that GSM motorolas stink and<br> nokia (besides few mistakes like buggy 7110s)<br> makes great GSM phones. But that's only my $.1

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GSM Phone in US

...I wonder if the special logic is in the hardware or in the SIM? If its the SIM then I could use any US nokia phone....I think I'll just have one of my friends visit a dealer for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you look at it this way..

in Europe where there are always new and fancy cellphones being introduced, it's reasonable to assume that users are always upgrading to the latest phone.<br> <br> So I don't think MB Europe would think about using exclusive/proprietary phones there cuz then nobody would buy it. Hence it's probably unlocked/universal there.. Ok, so maybe we should ask somebody (ahem, MB owner) who is LIVING in Europe, don't you think?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know Nokia are about to release a handset that will work on the US band. I will check and let you know if it is a 6 series. If it is that will work in the car kit.<br> <br> Sam

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GSM protocol is currently NOT available for US version M-B's nor is it expected anytime soon. I sat in a M-B/Motorola 'V.60c' (the new M-B phone due in November) introduction meeting today where the GSM issue was addressed by the M-B Technical Manager. He said that GSM was about two years out for M-B cars. <br> <br> We're expecting to have the regional Motorola sales/technical people here next Friday for more training. I'll get additional GSM information at that time and post it. ...RAB

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do I know you ?

I was wondering if I know you because a good friend of mine also like to use Pokerface as his nickname.<p>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts