Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the prices of G500s, it seems like there is a gap between what people are willing to pay and the offered prices by dealers. For instance, there is a G500 in RI, 2003 with 14k miles, the dealer is asking $66k!! There has been a couple being re-listed on ebay due to reserve not met.

What do you think is a fair price for a 2003 with 25k miles? 2004 with 25k miles?

Thanks,
JK

·
Registered
2004 G500
5 Posts
i just purchased a 2004 G500 with 25,600 miles (no telephone or sirius but everything else) for $50K (exactly) This was from a non-benz dealer however who too it in trade.
just negociate hard :)

Right now (as of 2 weeks ago) Manheim auctions (dealer only auctions) listed an average Wholesale price for a 2004 G500 at $46,900 w/33K miles estimated retail is $51K- above is 16 miles @ 51,699, estimated retail is $54.5K in this case.

·
Registered
2004 G500, '95 discovery '96 525i.
11 Posts
last october I purchased an '04 G500 with 4,000 miles and amg wheels for 62k out the door from MB dealer in san diego. this included an extended warranty until 2010, taxes and licence.

I had been lusting over the G for a few years, checking on E bay for used '02-03's, scared to pull the trigger and buy on line. i stopped in to local MB dealer to ask mechanic about any issues i should be aware of on certain years-(this was before i found this forum) just so happened there was a trade-in that came in while i was talking to him and a salesperson.

in my opinion, even if some would say I "overpaid", i feel I got a great value, especially when comparing this one to the "new" '06's that were on the lot for another 30k.
i now have 15k on it. i love it, but i'd sell it for 66k and ship it to Rhode Island in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
I've been window shopping for a G55 for a while. Unfortunately I have to unload the Range Rover first. The G is an oddity in the used car market. While most cars will be within a few dollars either way of KBB or NADA values, it seems that the many G's fall into one of two categories. Either the seller is trying to get rich off the sale by hanging his hat on the "rarity" blah..blah...or the truck is silly under priced because the dealer doesn't know what he has (or care). Many in the mainstream car market consider the G an eye sore and probably assume that nobody is going to buy something this ugly. For example...in January of this year, I nearly shat myself when I found a G55 in a local dealer magazine here in Hicksvile U.S.A. and it was priced about $15K under KBB. It was advertised simply as a "Mercedes SUV". It was at a local Dodge dealership and I assume that they probably pulled values for the G500 to price it. I don't know, but by the time I called the add was only three or four days old and someone had already snapped it up....probably an MB dealer. When I have the cash together, I'm going to shop cars.com (always about 100 G's on there) try to find a silly deal and jump on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same question I had earlier in the year. Pricing is all over the place. I ended up buying an '04 with 50K miles, CPO, for 44K at the end of April. The market fluctuates so radically -- I was negotiating on two other Gs, and both got snatched out from under me for WAY more than I was offering. Did I overpay? Probably (I tend to be very shrewd on these sorts of things), but I got a single owner, VERY CLEAN truck (sold and serviced by same dealer), with a reassuring netstar history and carfax, and manufacturer backed warranty.

If you are looking at '04 CPOs with 25K miles or under, expect to see retail pricing well over 50K. I imagine that you'd end up paying low 50s. In my view -- look to the overall condition and history of the truck.

And drive before you buy. I drove one with 33K that was a total heap of crap, and another with 44K that was tight as a drum. It matters how (and where) the previous driver drove the car. Drive a bunch of them, and you'll quickly get a sense of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes G500 & 2005 BMW 745Li
117 Posts
When I shopped around my G, I've heard that most of used Gs are being exported to eastern European countries. They only purchase later 2003s or later year models due to the import duty tax issues in those countries. The dealer told me this is why later model Gs prices are getting higher and hard to find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
JK320, that's a really high price for a 2004. There's a used 2005 G500 Grand Edition with under 2000 miles (yes, two thousand, not twenty thousand) for the same price at a BMW dealership in Universal City.

·
Registered
2007 ML CDI, 1967 250SL(early), 1984 280 SL, 2004 E320 wagon, 2015 ML 250, 1999 E300TD
449 Posts
I traded in my 2002 G with 80K miles for an 2007 ML CDI last fall for $30K to the same dealer I bought it from. Recently I received a promo brochure from my local MB dealer where I get service . They said they are actively seeking to by 2002 and 2003 G's and are offering incentives on a trade in of a used G.
Go figure- shipping to Russia?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts