Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230G, 300SE C200k 04
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to come across a clean G in Australia? Also does anyone know how difficult it is to import a G into Australia?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
yamraptor - 5/5/2005 6:40 PM

How hard is it to come across a clean G in Australia? Also does anyone know how difficult it is to import a G into Australia?
G's in Australia are apparently very few and far between. To import one, it must be RHD.

There was some discussion here recently by an American moving to OZ; and he was going to have to sell his LHD G in the US before he left.

·
Registered
230G, 300SE C200k 04
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, DUTCH.
My G is a RHD so that is not a concern.
For the guys that are in Australia, are parts readily available? And how difficult is it to import a vehicle into Australia?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 300 GD Wolf, LR Range Rover HSE TD6
54 Posts
Dear Yamraptor,

You can import a vehicle into Australia if it has been registered in your name overseas for a minimum of 12 months and you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or have applied to become an Australian citizen or permanent resident ). If it's over 15 years old this restriction does't apply. You need to apply for an import approval from the federal government department of transport and regional services before the vehicle goes to customs (see www.dotars.gov.au). If it's a personal import, it doesn't need to meet Australian design rules.

The Gs were sold here during most of the 1980s, so parts can be procured from the MB dealer network. All except the most common components (engine/drivetrain) tend to require special order from Europe (at a cost and with delays).

Most used Gs here have done 200k+ km.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 300GD
47 Posts
Bringing a G down under

Hi Yamraptor,

I'm the American Dutch talked about who last year had to sell his G before moving to Australia. I was able to find another one, RHD/1987, and import it. For me everything worked out very well in the end. I still have all of my paperwork and am happy to help and answer any questions you have.

One thing to remember when importing to Australia is that even once you get an import approval from DOTARS, each state has it's own compliance laws. Even though my G was over 15 years old, when I went to register it here in the ACT I had to spend a little money to bring into compliance.

There are Gs for sale here but they are not common. Prices vary greatly and you have very little choice about what you end up with.

Parts are also hard to find and expensive. The G owners here work together to minimise this buy bulk-ordering parts whenever they can and some people have connections with wholesalers, etc. But we're spread out all over the country and if you need something you'll probably have to special order it. So you end up paying more for parts and waiting for them to be shipped.

An example from my experience:
I bought some alloy wheels from another G owner here in Australia, but had to find the right bolts. MB Australia wanted $29 AUD per bolt!!!!
I ended up buying some in the States (for ~$6/bolt) when I went over on a business trip.

Good luck!
JD

Attachments

·
Registered
300GD LWB 1985, 300GD LWB 1988
73 Posts
Hi Yamraptor,

We have a small but entusiastic group of G owners here in Australia and as Skenties said we are spread across most of Australia. Only three to four hundred vehicles were officially sold her by MB and most of these were around 1983 with a spattering of later 80's (87/88). Check out our web pages at www.agoa.org.au and if you send me an Email to [email protected] I will send you our last (and first!) PDF Newsletter which has a sample of the G's for sale in Australia at present.

If you are happy with your current G I would suggest bringing it with you. What part of Australia are you heading to?

Let me know if we can be of further help.

John

·
Registered
1987 GE230
49 Posts
Hi,
I have a GE-230 for sale, Good condition,Mags, Bullbar, winch,snorkel.
Done 200,00km's for $18,000, completely rebuilt except for the gearbox over the last 2 years.

Regards Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
300E, 300GD
47 Posts
It's funny how many Gs are for sale down here at the moment - I went for months seeing only the occasional, now there are probably four that I know of. You'd think it would push the price down a bit eh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 290GDT, 2001 and coming to Australia

Hello
I am an Aussie citizen lived most of my life is South Africa and an immigrating to Australia in about 12 months time.
I have a 461, 290GD turbo, RHD, 5-door, LWB, 12V, ±104 000 kms on the clock and I am considering bringing it with me and then probably sell. It all depends on the value of this vehicle. It was one of the last RHDs made (Feb 2001) What do you think this vehicle is worth in Australia?
( I am still deciding where I will live)
I am the author of 4x4 books, some 13 of them over the past 12 years. I have loved both of the G's that I have owned.

·
Registered
300E, 300GD
47 Posts
At a guess . . . $50,000+

I got my 1983 w460 for $17,000 and it was a good price. When you consider my brother bought a fully loaded 2002 Ford V8 ute for the same price (new $50k+) it's a good investment.

Make sure you know 100% what you're doing when you try to register in over here - there are some hell funny laws.

·
Registered
1987 300GD
47 Posts
Sounds like a great machine. I'd certainly love to get my hands on a late model 290GD.

Can you post some photos of it?

I have some South African 4X4 books; which ones are yours?

Cheers,
JD

·
Registered
1982 300GD *2
388 Posts
Wellcome to the forum

st.pierre said:
Hello
I am an Aussie citizen lived most of my life is South Africa and an immigrating to Australia in about 12 months time.
I have a 461, 290GD turbo, RHD, 5-door, LWB, 12V, ±104 000 kms on the clock and I am considering bringing it with me and then probably sell. It all depends on the value of this vehicle. It was one of the last RHDs made (Feb 2001) What do you think this vehicle is worth in Australia?
( I am still deciding where I will live)
I am the author of 4x4 books, some 13 of them over the past 12 years. I have loved both of the G's that I have owned.
Hi St Pierre
YEs I have seen and enjoyed your videos shown. There is a G gathering in Franshoek on the 18th Nov , contact me offline for details. BTW what is the VIN no of your 2001 G?
PEter Merle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts