Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stainless steel stock exhaust tailpipes are almost black.
Does anyone have any good remedies for bringing the shine back to them?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
A similar post on the "other" R171 forum resulted in a few chrome polish recommendations...[^]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
41 Posts
Hi Anthony, There is a product I use in the restaurant called Shiela Shine. It is a stainless steel cleaner polisher and protectent. We use it on all our metal surfaces and it's amazing. Don't know if it's in the UK but if you know anyone in the restaurant business they might have something simular
[8D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
lion126 - 3/10/2005 11:21 AM

Hi Anthony, There is a product I use in the restaurant called Shiela Shine. It is a stainless steel cleaner polisher and protectent. We use it on all our metal surfaces and it's amazing. Don't know if it's in the UK but if you know anyone in the restaurant business they might have something simular
[8D]
Where would I buy it? On-line?

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
lion126 - 3/10/2005 2:21 PM

[8D]
I have used it and similar products myself for years in the restaurant industry. I would be a little leery about using it on other surfaces though. I would only use a product formulated and tested on chrome for a chrome finish.

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
Wipe them down after every wash and put some wax on them from time to time, and wash the car often. That is how you avoid the problem, since you have the problem, I suggest you spray them with Orange Cleaner or 409 and let it soak for a while, then use a nice Chrome Polish or Tarnish Remover.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Anthony100 - 3/10/2005 12:30 PM

My stainless steel stock exhaust tailpipes are almost black.
Does anyone have any good remedies for bringing the shine back to them?

Quick remedy.
Scrunch up some Aluminium foil - shiny side out, and use this to polish them. Will bring the chrome back up a treat. I use it - leaves no scratches or blemishes.

Was recommended to me by a guy with a Harley (lots of chrome!!). It really works.
He also said for really baked on stuff add a little coca cola (mildly acidic!), but not tried that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts