Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 420sel W126 Australian Compliance
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Last night I did a lot of searching on the forum to find a suitable grommet where I could run some 0ga power cable through the firewall. I found quite a few threads on this, but all the places they mentioned (some with photos too), did not exist on my 420SEL.

It is a 1990 420SEL, Australian Delivery. So as far as I know, it is a euro. And it's right hand drive. I'm thinking the grommets might be different on the right hand drives compared to the left hand drives.

I have found a few grommets, however they are very small (for cables only a few mm in diameter).

If anyone knows where I could look in my firewall for a suitable grommet that would be great.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
Hmm dont know what 0ga is. But on mine the is a main grommet behind the battery area. Mine is right hand drive too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry that's 0awg power cable (conductor is 8.25mm diameter).
I'm used to just calling it 0ga on the car audio forums.
Behind my battery (which is on the passenger/left hand side), there is an area with a few cables going through the firewall, however they are not through a grommet - they are all sealed up by some very thick rubbery stuff - looks like it was a liquid when applied and then set. Do you have this? I'm thinking this is where the gormmet that everyone uses would have been.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
I think it is. I'm at work minus car though so i cant refresh my memory. I'll have a look later if nobody else chimes in to confirm.
Also i seem to remember a hole through on the drivers side too where vacuum lines go through etc for headlamp adjustment and stuff. That one would be harder to use though anyway.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
The holes drilled in the body are the same LHD to RHD, but the difference is that on one they are filled and the other empty. So if we talk about the pass-though being on the right, that is for a LHD car so on yours your would use the one on the left.

The only problem with that is that not all of the components change sides. The brake booster changes sides of course, but the fusebox does not.

For a 0GA wire (What the hell kind of amp are you running?) you probably should drill its own pass-through and use its own grommet.

Also, if I were you with that kind of power demand I would run a 200 AMP Alternator instead of the normal 160.

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
The bulk of the wiring passes into the cabin below and behind the fuse box on the LHD cars. There's a big hole there. I don't know if there's a grommet in there but I'd explore that passageway. I'm not sure what's different with the RHD cars.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
Mine is a left-hand drive, but I did not have much of an issue getting a 0-gauge cable through the firewall grommet.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
If you are running that big of wire it appears you are going to be setting up something that draws a lot of power. Like Mclare suggested, this is a good time to upgrade your alternator to a something more powerful than your 80 amp stock Bosch AL69X to the 120 amp AL129X.

You won't be able to get more juice than the 120 amp without having one made up like mramey has done out in Las Vegas.

We gen I owners have even less juice with our stock 70 amp Bosch units.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies everyone, I'll have any look at it tonight. I might pull the battery out and see if I can find something behind it. Same with the fusebox.

For a 0GA wire (What the hell kind of amp are you running?) you probably should drill its own pass-through and use its own grommet.

Also, if I were you with that kind of power demand I would run a 200 AMP Alternator instead of the normal 160.
I'm not running crazy power, but I'm installing 0ga now so if I upgrade in the future, I won't have to run more later. It's more just overkill/future planning for now.

I was hoping not to have to drill into the body, however I might have to I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts