Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting a gripe list (anybody at MBUSA out there?) I haven't got to drive this much yet, so the list is going to grow. I should note I'm 95% happy with this vehicle; however, these are things, if rectified, would make me and undoubtedly some others happier.

In no particular order:

1. Why can't the US get the AMG Sport exterior on the 350, though nearly every other country on earth can?
  2. Why the "bong" and "Don't forget your key" message when entering the vehicle? Of what possible use is that?
  3. Why no key dependant settings?
  4. Why do you have to hold down the memory button to change seat/mirror settings rather than pressing it once?
  5. How about a front license plate bracket that doesn't require drilling through the fascia?
  6. Why no Conditioned Based Service intervals rather than dictated one-term-fits-all?
  7. Why no exposed tailpipes? Concealed ones emasculate what is supposed to be a truck.

·
Registered
2013 ML350 Bluetec
19 Posts
Certainly there are small things each of us would like to change about every vehicle we own, no matter what we drive. There are several things I would change about my 2008 E350 that I would improve upon, but it is the best driving vehicle I have owned. The ML addresses some of the changes I would like to make to my car, but I'm sure it's not perfect. I would like to know before I order my ML BT if there are any big reliability issues, or if anyone is seriously disappointed with their decision to buy one.

·
Registered
'06 ML500, 00' ML430
34 Posts
1. Buy a 550!!! ;-)
2. Good point!!!
3. Good call also!!!!
4. Because if someone 6'3" hit #1 in my car they would be killed by the steering wheel pressing into their chest!!!
5. true, mine is all * expletive removed by moderator up now!!!!
6. OK
7. Major * expletive removed by moderator there!!! A 400hp ML550 with no pipes!!!! * expletive removed by moderator!!!

also:

-can't active headlight washers by themselves!!!
- seat no longer moves on entry/exit!!!!

did we hit them all yet???

Starting a gripe list (anybody at MBUSA out there?) I haven't got to drive this much yet, so the list is going to grow. In no particular order:

1. Why can't the US get the AMG Sport exterior on the 350, though nearly every other country on earth can?
  2. Why the "bong" and "Don't forget your key" message when entering the vehicle? Of what possible use is that?
  3. Why no key dependant settings?
  4. Why do you have to hold down the memory button to change seat/mirror settings rather than pressing it once?
  5. How about a front license plate bracket that doesn't require drilling through the fascia?
  6. Why no Conditioned Based Service intervals rather than dictated one-term-fits-all?
  7. Why no exposed tailpipes? Concealed ones emasculate what is supposed to be a truck.

·
Registered
Aegean Blue 2005 SL500, Steel Grey 2012 ML450
107 Posts
1. Buy a 550!!! ;-)
Not quite sir :) ... the ML550 now ONLY comes with running boards, so it still gets your pant legs dirty and looks bloated/less sporty.

7. A 400hp ML550 with no pipes!!!!
How about the '13 GL with the "real" 550 motor.. 427 horsepower and better exhaust note, rather than the de-tuned/low hp model they put in the ML :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2011 E-350 Coupe
56 Posts
Agreed with all. I had two requests to the dealer. 1) Swap out the running boards with a vehicle off of there lot. 2) DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THE FRONT FASCIA. Dealer drilled 4 holes for the license plate bracket. Ugh. The dealer did do the right thing though. They swapped out both the running boards and the front fascia with new vehicles off of there lot. Did get to drive a new GLK as a loaner. Glad we did not purchase that model, ML-350 BLUEtec is loads better. T

·
Registered
'06 ML500, 00' ML430
34 Posts
How about the '13 GL with the "real" 550 motor.. 427 horsepower and better exhaust note, rather than the de-tuned/low hp model they put in the ML :thumbsup:
According to the Renntech guys all M278 550s put out the same 427 hp. It is underrated from MB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2013 GLK with AMG package, When picking it up I found that that the front license plate bracket (not installed yet) will cover a good part of the chrome fascia and will require holes in the fascia Does anyone have any good solutions?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
My gripe list:

1) The digital speedometer and GPS route guidance can't display simultaneously on the multifunction display.

2) Nav system has no touch screen.

3) Old Mbrace 1 system on MY 2012.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've only had my 550 a few days and I love it, but I'm ready to start listing some "gripes."
-I agree, the "bong" and "don't forget your key" message is pretty idiotic, I needed my key to enter the vehicle, didn't I???
-Why on earth do I have to hold the memory button in for my settings???
-Why aren't they linked to the key???
-Why??? Why doesn't the garage opener work with out the vehicle being on???
-When I try to search for a song on my iPod, why does it always revert back to the beginning of the play list?
-The sonar for the parktronic doesn't override the stereo when it "beeps."
-No touch screen
-The "unconnect" system in my older grand Cherokee was implemented while Chrysler was partnered with Benz, it was far more intuitive.
-Not sure if I would have liked it or not but why no Eco start/stop on the 550?
-The range on the key fob is very weak... Another issue I don't understand, my jeeps key fob(identical to the Benz) had more than twice the range.
-I know that the dealerships want my money but it's pretty frustrating that you can get remote start from the factory on some 20k vehicles but I have to pay $1300 for it as a dealer installed option...
-Not a fan of the hidden exhaust tips...
Overall I'm thrilled with the truck, the V8 have great torque and I love the interior.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've only had my 550 a few days and I love it, but I'm ready to start listing some "gripes."
-I agree, the "bong" and "don't forget your key" message is pretty idiotic, I needed my key to enter the vehicle, didn't I???
-Why on earth do I have to hold the memory button in for my settings???
-Why aren't they linked to the key???
-Why??? Why doesn't the garage opener work with out the vehicle being on???
-When I try to search for a song on my iPod, why does it always revert back to the beginning of the play list?
-The sonar for the parktronic doesn't override the stereo when it "beeps."
-No touch screen
-The "unconnect" system in my older grand Cherokee was implemented while Chrysler was partnered with Benz, it was far more intuitive.
-Not sure if I would have liked it or not but why no Eco start/stop on the 550?
-The range on the key fob is very weak... Another issue I don't understand, my jeeps key fob(identical to the Benz) had more than twice the range.
-I know that the dealerships want my money but it's pretty frustrating that you can get remote start from the factory on some 20k vehicles but I have to pay $1300 for it as a dealer installed option...
Overall I'm thrilled with the truck, the V8 have great torque and I love the interior.

I guess no car can be perfect? I can't wait for my ML550 to come! Of all your gripes, I'll probably be annoyed by the fact that the screen is not touch. Come on Mercedes, what isn't touch screen nowadays?

·
Registered
ML350
137 Posts
Why??? Why doesn't the garage opener work with out the vehicle being on???

Regarding the garage door opener: Because if you park your vehicle in the driveway, you don't want someone breaking your window and opening up your garage with a push of a button. If the engine has to be on, then at least there is a sense of security because the owner should have the key!

Regarding the remote start: Because only Mafia bosses and rap stars need their cars started remotely. Anyone else should just start it themselves. ;)

Regarding hidden exhaust tips: On the fence on that one. I think it's kind of a design risk by MB, one that I give credit to for at least being different than every other car out there.

·
Registered
2017 CLS550
195 Posts
Exhaust tips have to be polished constantly to look really good and sometimes that can be a real pain. Hiding them is a simple but brilliant solution!

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
The Nav feels antiquated. Apart from no touch screen, I have more gripes:

1) Boot up time takes too long. You can't do anything with it for 30 seconds or so after start up.

2) It needs a faster processor. It can feel sluggish at times to your input.

3) Routing sucks. Why is there no "maximize highway" option? It wants you to drive through miles and miles of city traffic for some strange reason when I can just hop on to the the freeway.

·
Registered
2012 BMW X5 (totaled by GF, now driving her Lexus RX300)
116 Posts
The Nav feels antiquated. Apart from no touch screen, I have more gripes:

1) Boot up time takes too long. You can't do anything with it for 30 seconds or so after start up.

2) It needs a faster processor. It can feel sluggish at times to your input.

3) Routing sucks. Why is there no "maximize highway" option? It wants you to drive through miles and miles of city traffic for some strange reason when I can just hop on to the the freeway.
What year is your ML? For 2013, they've upgraded the Nav system. Not sure if it boots faster, but it looks a lot better. And I think with the new mBrace2, you can subscribe to traffic routing.

See: Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class

But again,not sure if its any improvement in terms of the issue you mention.

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
What year is your ML? For 2013, they've upgraded the Nav system. Not sure if it boots faster, but it looks a lot better. And I think with the new mBrace2, you can subscribe to traffic routing.
Mine is 2012 with the old mBrace 1 system. Why did they put an old system on an all new model for just 1 model year? :confused:

·
Registered
2012 BMW X5 (totaled by GF, now driving her Lexus RX300)
116 Posts
Mine is 2012 with the old mBrace 1 system. Why did they put an old system on an all new model for just 1 model year? :confused:
I kmow. MB often makes so sense. Why ruin the cool AMG style of the ML550 with stupid standard running boards that so many people hate? (obviously my latest gripe). But sotware projects by nature are notoriously late, so not too surprised. it would not be so bad if there were a software upgrade. I wonder if they will offer it at some point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe that someone posted on another board that mbrace2 is a hardware upgrade, not just software, so no upgrade of existing mbrace1 systems was possible.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One more gripe

A small area that could use improvement. The hitch drawbar has too much play in the receiver. When lightly loaded (towed a utility trailer today), this produces lots of clunking. On my W164 I tapped a pointed head bolt into the bottom of the receiver. I think I will do the same for this one.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts