Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know there are a lot of smart guys and girls on this site...
Here is the problem...

My car (94 S600 coupe) runs great no problems, but once in a while when I start my car up I hear a grinding noise in the back of my car. I makes a noise grinding noise for about 10 or 15 seconds and everything is fine. What could this noise be????

THanks in Advance!
[:)]

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Parking brake ?? did you have it checked see if the shoes ar releasing??
otherwise have you checked the diff oil level..
lift the car by the diff case and rotate each wheel forward and back see where the sound is coming from..

Just a thought though...

of course if its not the axel.. it could quite possibly be the electric ariel worth a look.. mine somtimes makes a dreadfull noise when i start up..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only makes the grinding nosie once in a while when I start the car up... not when it is rolling. I noticed that my car seems to have a slow acceleration once in a while, but that might be a differnt problem I assume.

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
Possibly a bad fuel pump, which could grind or buzz when on its way out. That could also account for poor intermittent acceleration. You could get underneath and listen to it of feel it when someone else starts it.

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
Possibly a bad fuel pump, which could grind or buzz when on its way out. That could also account for poor intermittent acceleration. You could get underneath and listen to it of feel it when someone else starts it.

That make me remember that my 560SEL made the sound that only my mech. noticed. He told me that my car has 2 fuel pump and one of them is going south. I keep driving the car until one day.... the car cant go faster than 80mph.....
I am glad that my car has 2 fuel pump and I can drive my car to my mech. and ask him to replace both of the fuel pump for me.

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
In adition to an S500 I also have two 560 SELs and had a similar problem on one of them. Yes, two pumps kept me going while I got a replacement!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts