Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
97 E420 w/208K miles, tranny fluid was changed was around 200K miles (according to the PO, also a member on here). Already did some searching here, but didn't really find anything exactly similar.

A couple of days ago I noticed a couple of drops of something on the driveway. Didn't really look like tranny fluid or oil and didn't see anything when looking underneath, so I decided to wait until this coming weekend to get it on ramps to check it more closely.

Well... Today, when my daughter started driving home from school, she said it started to make a grinding noise. You can hear it while idling still and it comes somewhere from the backside of the engine bay, so I'm assuming tranny... I checked it a bit and noticed that when stationary in P or N you can hear the grinding, but when you put it in R, D etc., the noise stops. However, the instant you take your foot off the brake and start to move, even without giving it gas, the noise is back. If stationary and you give it gas, the really doesn't change much at all.

While driving, the tranny shifts fine but makes the noise through the first two gears. Also, if I go over 1700rpm or so, it goes away, too. After that it also comes back intermittently.

While reading the other threads, I saw many references to rattling cat/s, but I just don't know. Haven't had too much time to diagnose yet. No CEL at this point. Not sure about any tranny codes.

Any and all help, pointers and ideas are more than welcome.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
In my case I could only hear the cats rattle at idle and low RPMs; the noises were absent at normal in-town driving speeds and highways at 75-80.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately the symptoms in this thread sound way too familiar... :(

Input shaft bearings...

As much as I hate to do it, I guess I'll have to visit the local indy shop and see what they say. All in all..., sounds like it might be time for some tranny work...

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The fluid was changed with what fluid ? This could be accentuated with the "MB says backwards compatible" (but not really) updated MB tranny fluid, which works terribly on high mileage W210 trannys. Sortof like their "sealed for life" debacle.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I'd still rule out the cats first. Tap on all of them with a rubber mallet to see if you can duplicate the grinding.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't tap on the cats yet, but tried driving it around the block again and now it also started occasional jerking and at one point it even lost a gear for a moment.

And the grinding is still there...

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the car yesterday to a good and reliable transmission shop here in town to get an idea what's going on and to get an estimate.

The verdict: metal shavings from planetary gears in the pan, needs a rebuild. Cost: $5200, give or take a few. :D

Oh yeah!!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Geez, that's expensive and I'm sorry to hear the tranny is shot. The consensus here has been it costs less to buy one already rebuilt but I'd rather have mine refurbished unless the price difference was exorbitant. IIRC, rebuilts are closer to $3500 and come with a 12/12,000 warranty.

I wonder what a dealer charges for what you need? Probably a couple of thousand more would be my WAG. Please give us the progress report once you make a decision.

Best wishes!

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... Of course I could not be present when they took the pan out, but I guess I'll have to take their word for it. It sure is making grinding noise, so I guess usually that is not a very good sign... :rolleyes:

They are now putting it back together and I'll start drawing the scenarios here: Sell it? Rebuild the existing one? Get already rebuilt one? Get a used one? Part it out?

Not really making too much sense to spend thousands of dollars in a car worth about 3000. Hence rebuilding the existing one or getting one already rebuilt do not sound too tempting. I found a used one with a little over 100K miles on it for $600, but you never know about those...

Love the car otherwise.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lowest price I have seen so far for a rebuilt unit is $2500 w/exchange and 2-year warranty. Local indy shop quoted ~$800 for labor.

It just doesn't make sense to spend $3-$3.5K... Even spending $1500-$1600 for a used one w/1-year warranty is borderline crazy.

Wish I would have a lift. Then it would pretty much be a no-brainer to get a used one and put it on myself. Doing that in my garage lying on my back with the car on jack stands just doesn't sound too appealing...

Damn... I guess it's time to sell the whole thing and start over. :(

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
In my opinion, the 722.6 transmission can be rebuilt by the home mechanic if the unit can be safely removed and then installed. There are no special tools needed and I've built a few of these for customers.

The basic kit includes all of the friction discs and seals. You will also want to change the conductor plate.

The torque converter should be flushed to remove any debris as well as the lines and the oil cooler. Keep in mind that if flushing costs more than $200, just buy new lines and a radiator. I typically just install new lines and radiator. It is cheaper than trying to flush it out.

I do have a service manual. PM me if you need help.

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
Took the car yesterday to a good and reliable transmission shop here in town to get an idea what's going on and to get an estimate.

The verdict: metal shavings from planetary gears in the pan, needs a rebuild. Cost: $5200, give or take a few. :D

Oh yeah!!! :thumbsup:
That's steep. I'd get a second opinion. I've had two MB 5-speers rebuilt: one was the TC, the other was the planetaries (not so much a grinding, more a kind of circularised ringing noise, if that makes any sense). Bother were around 1500 UK, so say 3000 US, not 5...

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my opinion, the 722.6 transmission can be rebuilt by the home mechanic if the unit can be safely removed and then installed.
I've never rebuilt a transmission and don't plan on starting with this one. :surrender: I can do almost all other stuff, but tranny has always been the unchartered territory for me... :eek:

That's steep. I'd get a second opinion.
Yup. Steep it is. :rolleyes: I'm sure I could get it a bit cheaper somewhere else, but paying 100+ bucks every time I get an opinion from somebody as they need to open the pan is going to rack up, too.

Then again,
whether it is 3K or 5K doesn't really make that much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I'd take a chance and go with the used one for $600 and do the labor yourself. If that buys you another 50,000 miles you come out ahead.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd take a chance and go with the used one for $600 and do the labor yourself. If that buys you another 50,000 miles you come out ahead.
That's the main option besides selling it that I'm contemplating here. Doing it in my garage is not really tempting, though... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 E350/41k, 1997 E320/290k, 1999 FJ100/256k
314 Posts
Tranny - rebuild - and blocks...

In my opinion, the 722.6 transmission can be rebuilt by the home mechanic if the unit can be safely removed and then installed. There are no special tools needed and I've built a few of these for customers.

The basic kit includes all of the friction discs and seals. You will also want to change the conductor plate.

I do have a service manual. PM me if you need help.
Got my interest!!! Read this on the Bart and wow - I'd be up for it if had to. Worth the risk.. Where does one get the service manual?

Doing it in my garage is not really tempting, though...
Maybe try building these...

Here's a pic from the site..

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Try this first....

Go to MB nowhere else, and get 15 qts of tranny fluid.
put a hose on the line and flush out all the old fluid.
There is a DIY on this.
Also, change the o-rings on the connector.
That tranny is bullet proof (not teen proof) but it loves fresh mb fluid.
B

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
On the 722.6 transmission there is a common fault. Where the input and output shafts meet there is a bushing that tends to collapse. The repair involves replacing both shafts with the moded version which now has a bearing instead of a bushing. Cheaper to change the whole transmission imho.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts