Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S280
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have replaced my stock grille to S600 style. That was easy enough, but now I want to paint it black. I know how to remove the centre easily enough, but the chrome surround is not so straightforward.

I don't want to force it off and crack it, can anyone advise me how this surround comes off?

Many thanks.

PS Could not find it on the search forum

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
take off all the bolts and it should come off. also painting a grille is not all the easy because it flakes easy. it involves alot of prep work.

·
Registered
1998 S280
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there seperate bolts for the outer chrome surround?

I am looking at sanding it slightly to get a rough surface, applying primer and then a matt black finish.

The challenge is the outer chrome surround at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,882 Posts
I did mine, exactly as you mentioned. Slight sanding back, very thick coat of primer and then matt. She's still holding well after a year :)

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
if i remember it right my chrome overlay (well accent pieces) is stapled to the grille itself.

i haven't had problems with chipping paint on it, but i suspect if you want to achieve that polished look you will have a high maintenance product. matte, industrial look holds up excellent.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
isn't it one piece and it comes out forward? because mine was on piece(i had the star grille and when i changed it to used oem 600 grille i just used the bolts)

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
no he is asking how to take the actual grille itself apart. it's stamp/plastic welds on there, not bolts. bolts attach the whole grille to the bonnet

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
oh my bad i thought he wanted to remove the whole grille. the chrome things slide off right?

·
Registered
1998 S280
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies,

The look I am after is exactly like Haku's.

I will post pics of the car as my project comes along.

So far it has been lowered with Vogtland springs, next spacers to bring out the wheels to fill the arches (cannot afford rims at this time).

Finally the grille in black.

On the subject of Vogtland springs I can say they are Great!!!
Thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts