Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoblz sent me a new/different hood latch with the new "big star" grill. My problem is that I can figure out how to remove the factory hood latch. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Silversurfer, I've got the exact same stuff on the way. The grill appears to be very easy. I think all that is requires is removing the 6 bolts, they're 7mm I think, and installing the new grill. The hood ornament appears to have some kind of a flange that has to be unscrewed with a pair of pliers or long nose vice-grips. Perhaps a visit to a body shop would be worth the investment because it sure does look very different to what i"ve ever seen.

silversurfer1 - 4/19/2005 4:58 AM

Autoblz sent me a new/different hood latch with the new "big star" grill. My problem is that I can figure out how to remove the factory hood latch. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it...

removing the grill wasn't the issue. It was replacing the factory hood release lever with the one that came with the new grill. Circlip hidden in there has to be pulled out...however now the hood won't open because the lever doesn't have enough leverage to pull the latch open...Going to try and "customize" it tomorrow to make it reliable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
RE: I got it...

What is a Circlip? Do you pull it straight down or unscrew it? Also, I was afraid the handle may have a clearance problem with the different grill. Plz let me know how it works out and what you did. Thanks

silversurfer1 - 4/20/2005 4:19 AM

removing the grill wasn't the issue. It was replacing the factory hood release lever with the one that came with the new grill. Circlip hidden in there has to be pulled out...however now the hood won't open because the lever doesn't have enough leverage to pull the latch open...Going to try and "customize" it tomorrow to make it reliable.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts

good luck[:D]hehe my friend has the same problem, but just take your time youll figure it out....

·
BenzWorld Sponsor
CLK320 2005
473 Posts

Aufrecht 55 - 4/20/2005 5:38 PM

good luck[:D]hehe my friend has the same problem, but just take your time youll figure it out....
tell me which friend of yours buddy???

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts

autoblz - 4/20/2005 9:36 PM

Aufrecht 55 - 4/20/2005 5:38 PM

tell me which friend of yours buddy???
well he is not a member of this forum...buddy[:p]

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
autoblz - 4/22/2005 9:40 AM

Then tell me his first name and last name
i have sales invoice beside me
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I actually endorsed your stuff autoblz thanks for being cool..
[:)]

·
BenzWorld Sponsor
CLK320 2005
473 Posts
Aufrecht 55 - 4/22/2005 12:39 PM

autoblz - 4/22/2005 9:40 AM

Then tell me his first name and last name
i have sales invoice beside me
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I actually endorsed your stuff autoblz thanks for being cool..
[:)]
where u from buddy?

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK folks, one more try. How does one remove the Circlip that holds the springed Mercedes emblem on the hood? Does it unscrew, unclip or what? Thanks

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skywagon...

Let me clear one thing up first...if you re-read one my last posts, you'll see that the circlip issue involves the hood release lever, not the emblem removal. The hood emblem removal is relatively easy...needle nose or another skinny pair of pliers - grap the outer metal edges of the emblem's underside and turn 90 degrees counterlockwise. You should then feel it disengage and it will pull right out from the top.

The circlip ...a small hook tool can be wedged into the circlip and it will pull right off the post that holds the spring and hood lever. This allows the hood lever to slide off the post that it's attached to.

Once the old lever is taken off, you have to remove the spring inside the lever and insert it into the new lever, put the circlip back in (using the same method as above) and install the new lever..

Now...this point is where I'm encountering problems...the new autoblz lever does not seem appropriately designed for the factory latch. It does not have enough leverage to pull the latch back and disengage it. So, if you need to drive after the new grill is installed...intend on providing yourself another method (I used zip ties[B)] to open the hood again so that you can permanently resolve the issue.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
35 Posts
RE: Skywagon...

Silversurfer, thanks much. Let me know if you come up with something. I wouldn't have a chance to do mine for a few more days.

silversurfer1 - 4/23/2005 6:25 PM

Let me clear one thing up first...if you re-read one my last posts, you'll see that the circlip issue involves the hood release lever, not the emblem removal. The hood emblem removal is relatively easy...needle nose or another skinny pair of pliers - grap the outer metal edges of the emblem's underside and turn 90 degrees counterlockwise. You should then feel it disengage and it will pull right out from the top.

The circlip ...a small hook tool can be wedged into the circlip and it will pull right off the post that holds the spring and hood lever. This allows the hood lever to slide off the post that it's attached to.

Once the old lever is taken off, you have to remove the spring inside the lever and insert it into the new lever, put the circlip back in (using the same method as above) and install the new lever..

Now...this point is where I'm encountering problems...the new autoblz lever does not seem appropriately designed for the factory latch. It does not have enough leverage to pull the latch back and disengage it. So, if you need to drive after the new grill is installed...intend on providing yourself another method (I used zip ties[B)] to open the hood again so that you can permanently resolve the issue.

Hope this helps...

·
BenzWorld Sponsor
CLK320 2005
473 Posts
Hi guys
i just reach vancouver
i just installed the SL grille on my friend car
i will post the DIY and instruction on the problem you encouter

also existing customer who have similar problem

can email me at [email protected]

thank you