Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of doing the grill swap from the 2002 grill to the 2009 grill and headlight bezels. The auxiliary fan motors for the AC are rubbing on the new grill. Took grill out and dremelled the area that needed to be cleared for the grill to fit and still having issues.

Is there something that we are over looking? Do the fan motors need to be upgraded to the 2009 model year as well?

During this process I also think one of the fan Motors has stopped working, is there a good source for these replacements other then dealer?

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes G55 AMG
5 Posts
What did you end up doing about this?

I just had the same issue and I used a couple of large black washers on the passenger side of the grill to give it some space. But I think there must be a better solution out there with how many people have swapped the grill.

Anyone else have the older style A/C fans rub the '09+ grill?

·
Registered
g500
136 Posts
This is what I did

I'm sure most places just push it up right against the fan and just screw it in from the top. Which isn't a good idea.

I have a 2005 and first thing you will notice that the new grill is a little bit wider than the previous grill, ALSO the previous screw holes don't line up, I think just one hole does, so I drilled two new ones that match the position of the new grill. First I marked the holes with a pencil before drilling and then centered it first.

Once you got that done you have to try and center it, screw it in from the top with just one screw for now. Then put on the headlight frames and you can see that the gaps on each side will be different, that is when you move the grill side to side to see if it is in the middle.

Now you can drill the holes so that the grill will stay on securely.

I was ready to put the grill on and then that is when I realized that the grill didn't lay back correctly. It can be forced, but its not a good idea. After checking to see what it was pushing up against, I found out that the horns were in the way. There are 2 horns directly behind each side of the grill.

I had to take off the bracket for the horns and re-position them by bending it in a different angle so they are a little farther back, not a lot. Then you can mount the horns back on.

If you leave the horns the way they are..the grill will be pushing on it and when you try and honk the horn it sounds muffled from not being able to vibrate freely.

And after that you get addicted to changing everything else on the G to match the newer ones...ha

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes G55 AMG
5 Posts
G55 AC Fans Causing Friction with New Grill

I have to agree about your last statement. Definitely addicting. I started with the headlights, then foglights, then grill, then the spare tire decal. Not crazy about the new LED taillights, but they might be next.

I too noticed the problem with the horns, however, the problem with the AC fans is worse because they stick out farther and (at least on a 2004 G55) there is nothing between the grill and the back of the spinning fan. When I first tried to install, it looked great but turning the car on caused friction and the smell of burnt plastic. Grinding the mesh on the grill won't be enough and I'm not really sure what my other options are.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes G55 AMG
5 Posts
That's weird, mine is COMPLETELY different. I should've taken a picture during installation. My fans are smaller and there is nothing that protrudes more than they do. I guess the bigger engine needs more room? Who knows...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran into the same issue, I wonder if it’s just a bad batch from a China. A friend of mine had no issues, said his went right on.

For the horns I just angled the brackets up a bit and pushed them in a bit and that def cleared more space for the grill but the AuxFans are still touching. I can’t return the grill now so I’m left with trying to make it work. I’m debating on using a dremel to take some of the inter grill off, or maybe finding an updated fan... unless someone has an answer on what to do.

the bezels I ordered were bad, both leds and module. This whole process is just a fail haha

any updates would be appreciated!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts