Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML55 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to take an opportunity to introduce myself. I have been a "shadow" member of this forum for a while, but have now began tweaking with the car in earnest, and require some opinions/advice from the established members.

Special thanks to Drew, UniquelySanFrancisco for their advice and posts in the past....

·
Registered
ML55 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So,

Heres the situation

2001 ml55 AMG, Black on Charcoal Ash. I'm interested in updating the look of the truck by doing some minor upgrades...

1) Headlights - wanna do the 2002 look, but I am unsure if i need just the housings (and can re-use the existing HID low and Halogen Hi beam setup) even with some minor modifications, or do I need the entire Bi-xenon setup....

2) Interior LEDs, Mirror LED indicators, and Lit Entry Panels....

Some extensive wiring involved here, but I am not leery... Specifically with the turn signal leds (all over the car) will i need to install load balancers, (btw, what is a load balancer and where can i get one)...

I will be posting pictures of my truck soon, any advice is appreciated....

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,114 Posts
RE: Lights

BillAMG - 5/1/2005 10:27 AM

So,

Heres the situation

2001 ml55 AMG, Black on Charcoal Ash. I'm interested in updating the look of the truck by doing some minor upgrades...

1) Headlights - wanna do the 2002 look, but I am unsure if i need just the housings (and can re-use the existing HID low and Halogen Hi beam setup) even with some minor modifications, or do I need the entire Bi-xenon setup....

2) Interior LEDs, Mirror LED indicators, and Lit Entry Panels....

Some extensive wiring involved here, but I am not leery... Specifically with the turn signal leds (all over the car) will i need to install load balancers, (btw, what is a load balancer and where can i get one)...

I will be posting pictures of my truck soon, any advice is appreciated....
You'll need new headlights, get the taillights while you're at it (there is a separate part number involved for the side markers in the taillights). The lights make a huge difference, IMO. Here are the part comparisons:

·
Registered
ML55 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Greg,

Thanks a million,

I need the entire assembly, eg both the lighting wiring, bulbs, ballast, etc.... AND the housing, correct? Or should I try to use the existing wiring in the new housing....

bjm

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,114 Posts

BillAMG - 5/1/2005 7:22 PM

Greg,

Thanks a million,

I need the entire assembly, eg both the lighting wiring, bulbs, ballast, etc.... AND the housing, correct? Or should I try to use the existing wiring in the new housing....

bjm
The bi-xenons come complete with bulbs and ballasts. I'm not sure if a wiring harness adapeter is needed for yours, I think I needed them on my '98. They're not cheap, but are great lights. I also did a wiring trick so you can have the halogens on with the high beams--a lot of light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts