Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Wouldn’t be talking about me now, would you? ;)
Haha, I think the member I was talking about has Nathan in the the user name but your car looks beautiful too. hopefully i’ll be joining that club soon. my friends painter is oversees for august but said he can get me in September so we shall see

·
Registered
1974 450SL, Dark_Blue/Parchment
263 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys but my car is definitely a ten footer, camera is very kind to her!

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm taking Sadie in for emissions testing today. Fixed several vacuum leaks and replaced the o2 sensor (which was a dirty liar), cleaned the ICV. Seems to have fixed the seesaw idle. She's not smelling as rich. If all goes well, we're goin for a drive to the beach today. I'll smoke the system again to look for smaller leaks that may have been previously inevident. I'll pay attention to Injector seals, throttle body, intake boots. I haven't tested the injectors yet, and anticipate replacing the lot. I also scooped up an $80 fuel distributor off LA Craigslist last week to rebuild, kinda for fun, and kinda because I'm sure 35 years and 135k mi means there could be a lot of improvement with a transplant. I've read a ton of resources on calibration of the FD and have ideas on flow testing it. I'll be okay with 'running good', but really shooting for 'running perfectly'.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sadie had her maiden voyage today. Did around 125mi solo along the coast, through the redwoods. She did AMAZING!

She's running like she's looking.

We're going to get along just fine 😍

Attachments

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
@BayAreaBenz - I'm ready for that drive!
It’s going to be a little bit for me, gotta do some work to the suspension, tie rods changed and then finally get the guides changed out too and then right when all that gets done it’ll be time for a paint job but as soon as she is ready to go I’m all for a drive with our ladies.... and maybe the wives can come along too

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
@StuartTrappe ; is in the bay too. Maybe we can all meet up for a drive.

edit: hmm not sure why that mention didn’t work...

·
Registered
1989 560 SL
20 Posts
Wouldn’t be talking about me now, would you? ;)
...or maybe me? 😎
Love the color, it’s very deep! Gray interior is classic, but looking at other pics of R107 in 904 with the saddle brown contrasting interior looks amazing! 🤤

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
...or maybe me?
Love the color, it’s very deep! Gray interior is classic, but looking at other pics of R107 in 904 with the saddle brown contrasting interior looks amazing!

View attachment 2646504
Wow, another beautiful example. Trying to be patient for my paint guy to get back from overseas but it’s getting harder and harder. My shocks, tie rods and subframe bushings came today so it looks like I have a weekend project lined up.... in what the forecast shows to be 103 degree heat... ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 560 SL
20 Posts
...or maybe me? 😎
Love the color, it’s very deep! Gray interior is classic, but looking at other pics of R107 in 904 with the saddle brown contrasting interior looks amazing! 🤤

View attachment 2646504
Wow, another beautiful example. Trying to be patient for my paint guy to get back from overseas but it’s getting harder and harder. My shocks, tie rods and subframe bushings came today so it looks like I have a weekend project lined up.... in what the forecast shows to be 103 degree heat... ugh

Thanks! Mine is maybe a “5-footer”, definitely has a “good side” for better photo taking. Working on the rough idle and banging into gear issues and then will work on the cosmetics.

But, I will pull the trigger on wheel refurbishing...got a good deal at $65 per wheel. Gotta get all the NYC road rash out of the wheels!

Good luck with the projects this weekend...stay hydrated, stay cool 👍🏼

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yeah. I was watching videos to see it approach refurbishing the wheels on Sadie. Not crazy about the chrome, not to mention is flaking pretty bad.been looking at new, but having a hard time deciding style.

·
Registered
1989 560 SL
20 Posts
The cost to get your 15” wheels isn’t too bad so I’d take them back to factory spec and have a secondary set to drive on as well. That’s actually what I am doing...buy a secondary set while the originals get refinished. Don’t have to worry about 4 seasons here in GA but I’ve always had winter and summer sets of tires.

Yeah. I was watching videos to see it approach refurbishing the wheels on Sadie. Not crazy about the chrome, not to mention is flaking pretty bad.been looking at new, but having a hard time deciding style.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
My shocks, tie rods and subframe bushings came today so it looks like I have a weekend project lined up...
I think this will be the next thing I tackle, as well as control arm bushings. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
I think this will be the next thing I tackle, as well as control arm bushings. Let me know how it goes.
I got most of the work done on the passenger side yesterday but it got too hot and then my mother in law came over and I had to entertain the rest of the night. It’s even hotter today it seems so i’m just waiting for it to cool down.

easy job but I just tried to take a shortcut and ran out of brake line and then realized I didn’t have a 19mm socket for the caliper. Tie rods are easy, shocks are easy, just have to move some stuff up top or work between some hoses. The sub frame bushings are what I tried a shortcut on but you really have to take the brake caliper off, let the control arm rest on a jack, unhook the caliper, shock and sub frame bushing bolts and lower the jack down. That will expose some room to shimmy the bushings out, new ones in and put the two bolts back in and that’s it. Easy stuff, just wish I wasn’t out in the sun. Don’t have a garage...

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
well looks like those two 19mm bolts aren’t holding the caliper down fully. i’m used to those being the only things i need to remove for other brakes but either mine are stuck which I doubt or more likely these 4 allen head bolts need to be removed.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts