Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
...It’s how I get her to not flinch at bank account ;)
LOL! I feel ya. Good strategy, sir.

West Marin / Lucas Vally is a nice 1hr loop. Throw in China Camp/McNear and 1.5hr. If you want to make a half day of it, you can throw in Tomales bay, and Drinks/Tapas in Petaluma. A little more fun when not during a global pandemic. Let me know how many miles/car time you're looking for and I can certainly recommend a loop.

12 years on a motorcycle gave me a good lay of the land for recreational driving. I'll let you know when my girl is roadworthy, and we'll set the wives up with a play day. (y)

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
awesome, thanks Stu. I’ll give that loop a shot, looks perfect. I’m up for all lengths really. We have been talking about doing a drive up or down the 1 and making a weekend of it and I love Tomales Bay (oysters, cheese, etc.), Up for all that stuff. Let’s chat sometime early next year about that post covid meetup. I’m new to the R107 and vintage cars all together and my friends aren’t much into cars. Should have the car painted by then too. Let me know if you know any paint shops or independent guys who aren’t charging an arm and leg. Have a few leads but haven’t nailed that down yet.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
awesome, thanks Stu. I’ll give that loop a shot, looks perfect. I’m up for all lengths really. We have been talking about doing a drive up or down the 1 and making a weekend of it and I love Tomales Bay (oysters, cheese, etc.), Up for all that stuff. Let’s chat sometime early next year about that post covid meetup. I’m new to the R107 and vintage cars all together and my friends aren’t much into cars. Should have the car painted by then too. Let me know if you know any paint shops or independent guys who aren’t charging an arm and leg. Have a few leads but haven’t nailed that down yet.
Sounds great. I should be ready for drives as soon as a couple weeks. I'll keep you posted. Looks like you and I are in the same boat, being new to the scene. You get over to the European Auto Salvage in Fremont? I was up playing "where's waldo" on google maps satellite view and think I spotted 107's in their yard. Was thinking of trekking over.

I've been growing emboldened by all the people on youtube that are yielding very good results diy car painting. Mainly rust spots, but watched a couple videos of full paint jobs that with the right attention would yield better results than the cheap pay-and-spray spots. I have a contact in Sonoma that may have space to do the spray. Also saw an inflatable spray booth from china, less 2 blowers ($100 ea) for under $1k. All thats needed is having a 13'x26' space to inflate it, which I do have. Watched makeshift diy spray booths on youtube built for $100.

Can't get ahead of myself tho. Gotta tackle some stuff in the engine bay before I go down a different rabbit hole.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey, I'm also in the Bay Area (south bay)! I don't have my SL yet, but I am planning on picking one up soon.
Nice! Happy hunting. I've heard from more than one source to inspect the valvetrain and cam oiler before purchasing. It's the achilles heel of the m117 (if you're shopping v8). Looking at mine is on the list today, along with the O2 sensor, provided I can locate the plug end. I have the footwell opened up and just gotta figure out what's what down there.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
203 Posts
I just moved from the South bay last year! Spent my life in the silllycon valley area! A great two day drive is CA 1 North from Mill Valley, spending the night in Fort Bragg, then North to US 101, turn South and home on 101. Late fall or early spring is best, as the fog usually isn't around at that time.
For paint, you cannot get "good" paint in CA anymore! Check Reno/Sparks area for a place to have it done, as they can still get proper paint. There is a reason a LOT of the old SoCal hot rodders are here in the Boise area.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I just moved from the South bay last year! Spent my life in the silllycon valley area! A great two day drive is CA 1 North from Mill Valley, spending the night in Fort Bragg, then North to US 101, turn South and home on 101. Late fall or early spring is best, as the fog usually isn't around at that time.
For paint, you cannot get "good" paint in CA anymore! Check Reno/Sparks area for a place to have it done, as they can still get proper paint. There is a reason a LOT of the old SoCal hot rodders are here in the Boise area.
I've done that drive more than once. A++. I have a house at the base of Mt. Tamalpias, 1 minute from Hwy 1 (which has been in repair since a direct hit neighbors cypress tree last year, but anyway). Great tip on Reno. Makes sense with their classic car culture there. Not a long drive to save a bunch of ca$h on a better end product.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
thanks for the Reno tip and the weekend drive suggestion. This is the second time i’ve heard of California shops not being good for paint and suggesting Reno so i’ve already got a list of Reno shops to call tomorrow! Got my tax return and the wife seems ok to put it all towards the paint! I’m going back to original, Midnight Blue 904

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I was always a fan of NAUTIKBLAU (929)

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
I was always a fan of NAUTIKBLAU (929)
That’s a beautiful color and honestly probably more what i’m looking for but since I don’t have to paint the jambs and whatnot if I go original and i’m trying to stay on somewhat of a budget, that sold 904 for me. Also there is a member in this forum who has an SL in 904 and man it looks sharp. Almost black so you get that slick glass look when the lighting is right.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That’s a beautiful color and honestly probably more what i’m looking for but since I don’t have to paint the jambs and whatnot if I go original and i’m trying to stay on somewhat of a budget, that sold 904 for me. Also there is a member in this forum who has an SL in 904 and man it looks sharp. Almost black so you get that slick glass look when the lighting is right.
The midnight is indeed gorgeous. I think for a '72 it also makes a lot more sense as nautic blue wasn't available until '84

·
Registered
6 Posts
lets see now,,,,this guy says he has a desireable, free car. He says its not in great running shape..He wants to do the very best he can along the way in repair steps as he can afford them. And the first several suggestions he gets are cosmetic helps that cost thousands???

·
Registered
1986 560SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
From what I've seen in this community, I'm confident that when I bring specific issues about the running condition forward there'll be no shortage of people offering up help and knowledge. I intend to bring issues forward when I get stumped, and when I feel that I've exhausted the already published resources. From what I've seen, most of the issues that need immediate attention have been addressed at some length in other parts of the forum. I've already learned a great deal about the MFI setup, fuel and and idle control systems. There's an amazing overview and diagnostic procedure by isthisdave on this forum that I intend to digest and work through this weekend. While peoples opinions are free and often worth every penny, there's a lot to be learned from experts in the community here, which is priceless. The warm welcome I received by simply introducing myself and "Sadie" (she now has a name) has put a lot of wind in my sail to tackle the intricacies of this beast. For that, I'm super-grateful (y)

·
Registered
1974 450SL, Dark_Blue/Parchment
263 Posts
Wouldn’t be talking about me now, would you? ;)

21 - 40 of 74 Posts