Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from OKC with this newbie’s first 107 post about my new-to-me ’86 560SL.

I’ve been privileged to own Benzes for 30 years but this is my first SL. The classic lines the 107 made it the model I always wanted to own. So, now as a man of a certain age it seemed to be the right time to give it a go. During my search, this Forum became (and remains) a daily read as a reference tool educating me on various aspects of the 107. The discussions from the knowledgeable owners who regularly post here allowed me to take the plunge with my eyes wide open.

Knowing that these aging beauties have issues and as a guy, while mechanically literate, not especially skilled under the hood (but having an excellent long-time Benz mechanic), I searched for the best 107 I could find. My selection criteria included (1) one-owner; (2) complete service history; (3) condition of major mechanicals; (4) condition of body and interior; (5) color combination; and (6) realistic pricing. After a lengthy search checking out literally hundreds of 107s, I chose and purchased the red/palomino 107 pictured here - a one-owner with 70K miles.

The service history and discussions with Owner #1 showed her to not only be well maintained throughout but also well loved. A negative was she had been driven less than 1000 miles in the last four years. A positive, on the other hand, O#1 had begun dealing with aging as within the last 12 months he had replaced:
A/C compressor, condenser, drier and R134 conversion
Upper control arms
Lower ball joints
Tie rods
Center link
Steering shock and steering coupling
Brake rotors, pads, hoses and calipers

Still, I remained concerned of other possible issues caused by the car’s lack of routine driving. Just prior to taking her into the shop for a thorough check, she began a serious transmission fluid leak. The end of the story is the transmission seals were toast and properly repairing the seals meant dropping the transmission. How many times do I want to drop a transmission? So one rebuilt transmission later, no more leaks and shifts like a dream. While in the shop I swallowed hard and had several major and minor items replaced including:
Rebuilt transmission mentioned above
Timing chain and tensioner replaced (8 degrees of stretch on old)
Sub-frame mounts replaced
Exhaust system replaced (irreparable hole in resonator; replacement meets CA EPA requirements-although she’ll never be there)
Brake flush
Sparkplugs
Heater mono valve and temp sensor vacuum hose

Cosmetically, this lady is beautiful and suffers no body damage, no rust, and no dings. Her original paint is remarkable and her only interior blemish is a slight fade of the leather. She is completely original with two exceptions: 1) the radio was updated by O#1 to an Alpine with CD – not my most favorite look, and I would like to change to a more stock look (maybe a Becker 4602; any comments/suggestions would be appreciated); and 2) I have fitted her with a Homelink rear view mirror attached to a 107 stalk. I discovered this resource on BW (see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1531269-great-126-upgrade-gentex-rear-view.html). Both the original Becker radio and rear view mirror are retained.

While I believe I have brought all systems up to par, she’s 24 years old with lots of 24 year old parts. So who knows what’s next – it’s just a matter of time. Next up I plan tend to a couple of non-critical matters - replacing the front tires with Michelins to match the rears (which have less than 2K miles), refinishing the wheels as the clear-coat has deteriorated and repainting the rocker panels.

I like to think of myself as Spock-like, i.e., all logic, but with this SL, maybe not so much. So, for now, I’m a little poorer, a little wiser, but having a great time. She’s my weekend fair weather cruiser and I’m looking forward to having much fun with her and, most definitely, enjoying the ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,197 Posts
...and a beauty it is. Thanks for joining the crowd.

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, and you're doing all the right things. Just avoid the stubby rubber antenna...you'll get shunned if not banned.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,507 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Virtual handshake..............

Attachments

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Really nice car - thanks for the writeup, and also for the mirror upgrade link. I'm sure you'll "enjoy the ride." I do mine.

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You For The Welcome

Thanks for the welcoming comments. The Forum is great and I look forward to being a contributor from time to time.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
A hearty welcom to BW 107.

That's a sweet looking car. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts