Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 500SEL that I am wrecking had the green stuff when I drained the engine.

It is my presumption that the car sat for a few years before I brought it home and so this kind of coolant must have been in there for at least that long.

Is it safe to say the engine is toast (aside from the fact that it wasn't running to begin with) ?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, all depends... it's not what you Want to see, but if it didn't sit in there for Ages you May have gotten away with it..

Pressure testing the system is the best way to check if there is still life in the cooling system!

Jonathan

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jonathan,

Since I am tearing down the car and scrapping it, should my concern be more with corrosion to the engine? as I was considering pulling it.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
yes, concern is w/ corrosion. If it was leaking into the combustion chamber you would be able to tell as that one hole will be REALLY clean :p

If they all look fairly even in their crud, it's OK for the time being.

Jonathan

·
Registered
w201,w124,w126
2,318 Posts
Doesn't matter if it was Alien coolant or Chinese coolant. Antifreeze loses its anti-corrosion properties over time. That's why you're meant to change it every year.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet having the yellow stuff sit stagnant in a car is more dangerous than the green stuff. Because the yellow stuff has non-organic salts that might start to sediment over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts