Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been thinking of changed my 18" amg wheels for bigger 19" or 20 " wheels.

During my search I have found a company that do SLK wheels. I love the SLR turbine 20" wheels for the SLK. They will look awesome!!

Give me some feedback please

Here is the link :

http://www.wheels4u.co.uk/wheel_model.php?id=2&width=1024&height=768

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
From my experience, to reach it's full potential, the SLK needs wider wheels and wider, stickier tires, not necessarily larger diameter wheels. With 19 or 20 inch wheels, I'd expect the tire choice in 30-series to be limited, the ride to suffer and the rims to be very vulnerable to damge.

I really like the AMG 230 wheels that come on the SLK55. I'm trying to determine if the 9.5 x 18 AMG 230 wheels for the SL500 (MB Part # B6 603 1112) would provide a proper fit on the rear of the SLK55. (Depends of clearances and offset.) Perhaps you can check this out in the UK. I've asked the Tire Rack in the USA.

If so, I'll try to put the stock rear 8.5 X 18 AMG wheels onto the front and get the 9.5 in wide wheels for the rear.

Now tires are another question ---

·
Registered
SLK 350, Mars Red
9 Posts
SLK55er, have you heard back from Tirerack about the AMG 230 and whether or not they work for the SLK? It looks like that wheel comes in either chrome or "painted". I wonder about the durability of the "painted" wheel. I've ordered an SLK 350 which is supposed to be built March 30. It looks like there's no advantage to getting the 18 inch wheels when you order since it's an "accessory" and you're still stuck with the 17's.

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
TireRack says that the SLK55 is too new and that they have not been able to test it with various wheels. I offered to test for them, but they only do this in their South Bend, Indiana shop -- too far for me to drive from Utah. 8^(

WHO LIVES NEAR SOUTH BEND AND COULD TAKE THEIR SLK55 (or SLK350) TO CHECK IT OUT?

I see no problem with the painted wheels -- that's what is stock, and personally, I do not care for chromed wheels. They seem too glitzy for my taste and distract from the rest of the car.

I'm sorry that I don't fully understand your comment WRT ordering a 350,
It looks like there's no advantage to getting the 18 inch wheels when you order since it's an "accessory" and you're still stuck with the 17's.
I'd like to have wider wheels & tires, at least at the rear of my 55. Kleemann put the following on without apparent body mods)

Wheels: TS6 light alloy 8.5JX19 front
TS6 light alloy 9.5JX19 rear

Tyres: 235/35 ZR19 front
275/30 ZR19 rear

So I'd like to check using the 9.5 x18 AMG 230s on the rear and move the stock 8.5 x 18 AMG 230s to the front.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 55
104 Posts
I do love the 20" SLR turbine wheels, and the only thing stopping me from getting them (other than the price) is they are directional wheels. This looks great for the left side of the car, but if you look closely you see it's the same wheels on the right side of the car going backwards. I confirmed this on the SLR. One would think if you spend that much on a car they could at least give you two types of wheel, but then you have front and back, so it would really be 4 types of whels on a four wheeled car. Forget rotating tires:=)

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7960727622&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

check these out 19x8.5 235/35/19 fronts; 19.9.5 265/30/19 rears. They look great and the price is good.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I am going shopping for aftermarket wheels this weekend, what size and offset should I go for? I need to upgrade to 18" only, if the rears are wider than the front, does that cause a problem because most sellers only have four identical rims? Is the ofset typically stamped on the wheels?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts