Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great trip with Michelin Latitude 285/60R18 tires, but a problem appeared after the trip.

When I arrived back to Houston, I noticed this chirping sound from both of my front wheels. If I raise my ML and put it in neutral and spin just the wheels, I get this chirping sound while rotating. The chirping does not change when I apply the brakes. The chirping increases in frequency, and pitch, when I rotate the wheels faster.

I wonder if my wheel bearings are bad..? I had my rotors and brakes replaced some time ago. I can't imagine why both wheels will do this sound. It sounds like the chirping is coming out of the center of the wheel. Brakes look fine..

Now, I want to say that the Michelin Latitude 285/60R18 are the smoothest and quiet tires I have ever installed on my ML.

I had the Yokohama Geolander HTS, which seemed like a great tire, but they began to develop a road noise and the thread was all uneven. The tire pressure and the alignment were correct, so I don't know what happened to them.

One thing I found is that the Yokohama Geolander HTS did not have a mileage warranty, so I could not get new tires and prorate based on the tread left. I was very surprise that there was no warranty on those tires.

I went driving to Atlanta and took my wife and her parents to visit some family. The trip was great. The Michellin tires were so quiet that I could only here the wind, and they absorved all the road noise and small bumps to the point that I could not feel most of them. The engine is whisper quiet too..

Overall a great trip, and everybody praised the smooth and quiet ride of the ML. I have Bilstean shocks in the front so I had a great ride.

I am planning a trip to the dealer but I am wondering what is causing the chirping before I go to the dealer..

By the way, it is the first time on all my ML's that I have seen 21 mpg in my trip computer average mpg. This translated to around 19 with the tank refill vs. mileage test, but this is great for my V8 ML 500, with a full load of passengers and cargo. I wonder if the Michellin Latitude has something to do with this. Maybe they have a smaller rolling resistance..?

AC

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
I'm thinking that your pads are glazed from the long trip. If you don't apply the brakes they still touch the rotor and the sound can radiate to the center. Usually wheel bearing noise is more like a grinding sound that gets louder as you drive faster.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
This is my first post here and I hope it is helpful.
I had chirping coming from the front of my 430 for the longest time and 3 mechanics couldn't find the problem and they came up with crazy explanations. (the catalytic converter is rusted loose and rubbing, the fender is rubbing and such)
It always started above 40 mph.
I decide to crawl under the front of the truck, lube and tighten everything in sight and I noticed that on the inside of each brake assembly there is a large backing plate (I don't know if this is the right word, looks like a dirt shield or air scoop) and it is mounted with bolts against the brake assembly. When I touched one of them I noticed that it was not very sturdy and it moved left and right and I hear it touching the brake rotor and making a metallic noise. I tighten the bolts up a bit and then bend the shield away from the rotors. Problem solved! From that moment on the chirping was gone.
I don't know if this is your problem but it is worth a try.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I have been driving on a new set of General Grabber HTS tires, and they are just great. I previously was driving on a set of Michelin Cross-Terrains so I was used to the best, but now I think that the Generals are better. I switched because the Cross-Terrains were discontinued and the Michelin Latitudes were reported to have faster wear (at least for the version of the Latitudes that was available in my size).

The General Grabber HTS tires are very quiet, quieter than my previous Michelins, handle just fine and have a strong tread that goes all the way to the edge for a pronounced masculine look. I never liked the way the Michelin tread tapers off to nothing at the edge of the tire. Tire Rack rated the Grabber HTS as the best all-around "driving mostly on the road" tire for SUVs. As a bonus, the Grabbers are made in the USA and cost less than the Michelins.

DelJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts