Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm temporarily G-less, I'm surfing different forums and came across this.

An experienced offroader got caught by surprise when a dirt ledge collapsed and dropped the car over. The guy was by himself, but able to roll the truck back over.

What probably impresses me even more is his diligence in packing. Everything is packed away neatly and so secure that nothing was out of place after the rollover...very impressive.

By the way...we will be there next week
[:D]

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Thanks Tom. Good he was prepared. I imagine that with all of the recent rain there will be a lot of unstable soil and eroded areas. You guys take care down there. Wildflower city.

-Dai

·
Registered
1984 280GE Cabrio
255 Posts
I hope you were kidding when you called this guy experienced. Whay kind of driver turns his truck over on flat ground! LOL!! They are still laughing their #^%es off on the Rover pirate board. I hope he did not ruin his picnic.

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
I would like to have seen a photo of the passenger side of the vehicle after the recovery, and how much damage the vehicle sustained as a result of the rollover.

Re: the Pirate board, in my experience it's bad karma to be too critical unless you were there. It doesn't appear that the driver was doing anything obviously stupid when the rollover happened.

Re: Tom being G-less - Tom, I was wondering, what are you taking to Death Valley?

— Spalding

·
Registered
C230 and Land Rover
19 Posts
Here is a photo of the other side of the truck, plus all the food pics: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/deathvalley3/ .

There is a three page discussion about the incident here: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6708&page=1&pp=25 .

Matt

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Captain Spalding - 3/27/2005 8:27 PM

Re: Tom being G-less - Tom, I was wondering, what are you taking to Death Valley?

— Spalding
My '96 Range Rover...it's no G, but it's cheap and fairly capable.

·
Registered
GD300 -82 LWB
235 Posts
his diligence in packing. Everything is packed away neatly and so secure that nothing was out of place after the rollover...very impressive.
What I don't understand is why people pack all this crap to their roofs. If he didn't have all the weight up there, the car wouldn't have (probably) rolled in the first place.

You mount your spare (or two since they look so cool and professional), ramps, rooftent, etc. etc. on your roof and then you are all surprised when the car feels unstable???

-UG-

·
Registered
'91 G300D SWB Manual, '99 ML320 7 seater
827 Posts
UG - 3/28/2005 8:42 AM
What I don't understand is why people pack all this crap to their roofs. If he didn't have all the weight up there, the car wouldn't have (probably) rolled in the first place.

You mount your spare (or two since they look so cool and professional), ramps, rooftent, etc. etc. on your roof and then you are all surprised when the car feels unstable???

-UG-
Well maybe that's the reply to the question. Maybe, just maybe, that the guy was just provoking a situation in order to gain notoriety amongst his LR pals by getting the truck to roll over just to show how good he was at putting it straight up again.

It's just like that idiot who sawed his own arm when it got caught by a big boulder after the guy went trekking on his own with no supplies or communication facilities. Some say that he provoked the danger situation so that he could prove how big his balls were....

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
"By Himself"

whelanrob2002 - 3/28/2005 6:39 AM

who took the second picture if he was by himself
Tripod?

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discovery - 3/27/2005 10:58 PM

Here is a photo of the other side of the truck, plus all the food pics: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/deathvalley3/ .

There is a three page discussion about the incident here: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6708&page=1&pp=25 .

Matt
Was this an offroad expedition or a picnic gone terribly wrong? I don't eat that well at home!

Bacon, eggs, ham, bread, chili, beans, water, beer, nuts, chips, and an iron skillet is all I travel with.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Trail Food

mb230s - 3/28/2005 9:20 AM

Discovery - 3/27/2005 10:58 PM

Matt
Was this an offroad expedition or a picnic gone terribly wrong? I don't eat that well at home!

Bacon, eggs, ham, bread, chili, beans, water, beer, nuts, chips, and an iron skillet is all I travel with.
Read the discoweb.org discussion. It explains it pretty well.

Btw, until you've traveled with an Engel, you don't know what you've been missing. [:D]

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
Seems like he did pretty well. About the only critique Id'd make is that it seems like he could have dragged the truck less if he had pulled from a point higher on the body, perhaps the sill guard.

As to people laughing about rolling over on flat ground. Most photos seems to minimize the danger of a situation. I nearly rolled my G on a similar looking drop when the dirt supporting the downhill wheels caved in. I got lucky and powered the nose of the truck downhill in time. Of course, I had a new problem to deal with, but at least the shiny side was up.

·
Registered
'82 300gd
115 Posts
I read the forum,he actually did have someone with him,not that it matters,but it would be strange in a situation like that to be wasting your time taking self portraits of yourself standing alongside and around and behind your crashed vehicle

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
whelanrob2002 - 3/28/2005 5:52 PM
....it would be strange in a situation like that to be wasting your time taking self portraits of yourself standing alongside and around and behind your crashed vehicle
I read it too Rob. Funny to recognise a lot of those names, and none of them changed a bit. I hung around the "Discoweb" for a while when I had my '98 Disco. I couldn't take that kind of endless garbage for long. I think I bagged it after about 3 days.

What I'm gettin' at is....trust me, you don't really want to know these guys. Taking pictures of their food, and documenting their own grand self recoveries (even when due entirely to not having a clue what the $*&# to do when the truck feels like it's rolling), are really a big part of what they're all about. I love John and Ho to death, but they do run with a whacky crowd.

And congrats to those who took the right message from this whole thing. It matters not the badge on your vehicle. Knowing how to pack it, and how to drive it are key. Some of the LR guys love the "Came Trophy Look" of all those cases inside and on the roof, but the simple fact is the CT chews up vehicles in much the way this one was chewed, and for much the same reasons. Having everything packed in cases is fine, but the cases themselves have weight, so you need to throw out some ammount of gear for every case you pack. Anything on the roof (this from the nut carrying a friggin' TENT up there!) has to be on your mind all the time, and make you doubly aware of what you'll do WHEN (not if - approach it as REALITY) the vehicle starts to tip. Drive a truck, but think like a backpacker. The lighter the load, the better your chance of coming through unscathed.

-Dave G.

PS - love his SVEA 123, best damned stove ever built. But I'll be darned if I'll set it on the carpeted tailgate. Mine gets HOT!

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
You are a funny man Dave, I still use my SVEA 123 too. Something about setting it alight to get it to go is fun but not on a tailgate.

-Dai

1 - 20 of 21 Posts