Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how fellow members on this forum are always impressed by the unusual specification of options found on Euro and worldwide W140s.

Bumped today into this production June of 1996 S 500 L which I think you may like a few of its extra touches (take a look at the pics below):

-Parktronic
-OEM Navigation CD/Radio
-Front and rear seat heaters.
-Timed/remote controlled engine heater (rectangle on top right of central dash).
-Original factory fitted phone at central front armrest.
-Rear Individual Electric Bucket Seats (Notice the central wood console with multi countour backrest controls for each rear bucket seat and an ADDITIONAL rear sunscreen button. Also the full bucket seat electric seat switches (same as used on the front) on the rear side doors plus the individual rear heat switches).
-And, last but not least, rear ELECTRIC folding table.

Opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
great pictures indeed! keep the picture thread going and please repost them there too. most interesting thing about this auto is it having 4-place seating WITHOUT the nappa leather trim - surely a combo thats few and far between... also, theres NO reason mb couldnt have brought a version of this oem radio/nav setup to the us - bmw had nav as early as 97/98 and range rover beginning in 98 w/ the 'j.a.m.e.s.' system. LOVE the pre 01 rr system - it has a british accent (unlike the system in the 01 and 02 models).

·
Registered
676 Posts
that really is nice... the 4 place seating without the wear and tear of napa...

really a good mix... and you will notice the button on the front passenger seat... really a nice option combo... this side of the sea never gets the best of anything :(

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Funny how one would order every possible option, then cheap out on the leather? Why not Nappa?

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny how one would order every possible option, then cheap out on the leather? Why not Nappa?
Let me run you an official price list of the options on the pictures above:

CODE - OPTION - PRICE

xxx - Leather Upholstery - US$2,382.00.00
xxx - Velour Upholstery - US$1,720.00 (standard on S 500 and S 600)
xxx - Nappa Leather - US$3,800.00
xxx - Leather Nappa Exclusive Upholstery - US$8,975.00

224 - Rear Individual Seats, electrically adjustable - US$4,800.00
288 - Multicontour Backrest for Rear Individual Seats - US$600.00
731 - Burred Walnut Wood Finish - US$575.00 (yes, zebrano was standard worldwide up to the S 500, only the S 600 had it standard!)
226 - Footrests in the Rear - US$210.00
227 - Ashtray and cigar lighter on rear doors - US$175.00 (yes! the rear ashtrays were standard BUT the the lighters were an option worldwide except in the U.S.)
340 - Third Stop Brake Light - US$55.00 (yes, another optional thing worldwide, except on markets where it was required by law)
540 - Roller blind, electric, rear window - US$489.00

228 - Auxiliary Heater - US$1,878.00
230 - Remote Control for Auxiliary Heater - US$1,805.00

Notice something peculiar:

There are three (3) types of leather available:
-The standard leather
-The Nappa Leather, and
-The Exclusive Nappa Leather
The Exclusive Nappa Leather cost TWICE as much as the option for the rear individual bucket seats.

If you take into account adding all the costs of other options such as the navigation radio, closing aid for doors and trunk, parktronic, etc, etc, etc, then adding Nappa Leather for many buyers might appear a little excess.

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
i must have missed something: what is the difference between the standard (base) nappa and exclusive nappa??? one tone vs. two tone???

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,478 Posts
i must have missed something: what is the difference between the standard (base) nappa and exclusive nappa??? one tone vs. two tone???
The main difference is, that also a lot, and then I mean a lot!, of interior
parts are clad in leather. Dash, console, door sides, armrest, seat sides,
first aid box, etc. Also the ceiling is covered in amaretta, another brand
of syntetic "leather".

br,
syljua

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
So, there was a $1418 difference between regular leather and nappa leather. That is HARDLY noticable when one is paying $100k+ (US) for a car. Who ever ordered this car was a cheap skate. To order up all those other options then say "well the leather isn't really that important" is very strange. They couldn't have been strapped for money if they checked off every single other option.

Any idea how much the SATNAV cost? Does it still work or is it just about useless?

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
The main difference is, that also a lot, and then I mean a lot!, of interior
parts are clad in leather. Dash, console, door sides, armrest, seat sides,
first aid box, etc. Also the ceiling is covered in amaretta, another brand
of syntetic "leather".

br,
syljua
i see... the standard nappa option is just a swap of the seats themselves, whereas the exclusive nappa option is the package that we had over in the us on 600's and 500 vge's... make sense. all in all, i prefer the style / look / design of the nappa seats, but the hard texture of the non nappa ones - plus, they dont show wear as early.

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,478 Posts
i see... the standard nappa option is just a swap of the seats themselves, whereas the exclusive nappa option is the package that we had over in the us on 600's and 500 vge's... make sense.
No, not available on the S500.
As for availability, the exclusive leather package was standard on S/CL600 and NOT
optional at all on other models. (I read this from the US prospect 97 and 98)
Elsewhere, the exclusive leather was not standard on any model and optional
on all (have even seen it in an S320).

A side note, here are some other "tasty" original designo interiors (images
taken from the official German S-klasse-club);

br,
syljua

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
The blue is a little bit 'far out' but the maroon is not bad at all.

·
Registered
82 500SEL, 97 S600, 88 300TE, 85 300SD, 84 380SE, 86 560SEL, 84 500SEL
64 Posts
I think Willa Wonka must have been the Coupe's first owner. That is one crazy interior.

·
Registered
'07 S65 AMG '95 S600 '98 E430 '83 300SD '81 300D
111 Posts
That "extra" button beside the defroster is for the alarm's motion sensors. Pushing the top of the button deactivates the vehicle's security motion sensor so you can lock the car and still have it moved/towed w/o the alarm going off.

Pushing the bottom of the button deactivates the interior motion sensors, so you could lock the car and leave your pet/child/whatever inside and their movement would not set off the alarm.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
What year was the Designo edition unveiled for the US Market? It must have been right around 2000, because they never offered them on the W140, atleast not in the states.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts