Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Beautiful day today and I put on 270 miles driving around the Catskill mountains. One incident though. I suddenly came upon and at 60 mph ran over two pieces of conduit pipe joined together by what looked like a six gang junction box. It was nine or ten feet long and laid completely across my lane. GOD awful noise. The pipe ripped apart at the junction box, half shooting out to the right from under my car and the other half shooting to the left. The only thing that seems to have taken the hit is my mid muffler which now leaks more and makes considerably more noise than it did before. Looks like I will be replacing it sooner than I had hoped. Could have been a lot worse so I'll take it. The car though seems to vibrate more at idle. Could compression loss at the mid muffler cause a rough idle?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,896 Posts
Could it have also damaged the O2 sensor? That could cause a rough idle. I do not know about the 80's models. Is it a vacuum modulator on the trans? Maybe a vacuum leak. Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
89 420sel, 83 volvo 244
202 Posts
werner: i have a 560sl with cats. have you driven both? i have been thinking about removing mine and modifying the exhaust. i'm unfamiliar with your model and assuming it has the same engine. if so, is it worth the trouble to presumably get a bit more horsepower?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,896 Posts
Aside from MB and Timevalve, does anyone know where I can buy a muffler for a grey market 500 SL?
You might try searching older model SL's that didn't have cats and see if they look like your setup. I eliminated it on my '73 and it didn't make much difference. Of course I don't hear very well so it may be really loud.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Today I went under the car to give it a good look over and check for damage after running over the conduit pipe and junction box. I found a good reason to leave in that crossover pipe that joins the two pipes between the manifold and mid muffler. That cross over pipe took a big hit and it is now bent and dented. However if it didn't take the hit, the transmission pan directly behind it would have. Pretty much the the full length of the exhaust got banged up.

Oddly enough the rough idle went away today. Only had it out for thirty miles or so though.

·
Registered
1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
7,563 Posts
Werner;
I have the mid muffler (1074902215) - I bought it by mistake, thought I needed it when all I needed was the rear (which I just bought from autohaus). PM me if you need it, I'll give you a good deal...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts