Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
g500
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the wheels of the G when I noticed I needed to scrub a lot of grease from the inner part of the wheels. So I went underneath to look and I looks like a lot of grease on the ball joints on both sides of the front axle. I'm no expert but is it supposed to look like this with a lot of build up? Advice is appreciate..thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Yes grease is supposed to be there. In fact if let's say for the drivers side you turn your wheel all the way to the right you will on the backside of the hub housing you will see a bolt that you remove to top up the grease. You will fill it up to the hole. You can then turn the wheel the other way and do the other wheel.

Mark

·
Registered
- Class G320 V6 2003 WDB4632501
244 Posts
Hello has first view(sight) he(it) seems to me that fat is mixed with some oil on photos he(it) has can be has to see the level of the bridge(deck) there and to see has to replace the joint spinnaker of the trumpet has to watch

·
Registered
G 400 CDI 1986/02/10
15 Posts
Remember not to use high pressure water to clean ball joints, discs or any other related to this area. Water in this system (grease) is no good.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Yep, looks just like mine too. I go under every 2-3 months and wipe off the grease with some paper towels, then squeeze some new grease in to zerk fittings - no big deal.

I have wondered if there is a "wiper" or seal that wears out over time permitting more grease to escape the ball joints ?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
Yep, looks just like mine too. I go under every 2-3 months and wipe off the grease with some paper towels, then squeeze some new grease in to zerk fittings - no big deal.

I have wondered if there is a "wiper" or seal that wears out over time permitting more grease to escape the ball joints ?
Yes, there is a swipe seal that can stretch or wear with time.

There is no grease zerk to fill the swivel ball. You have to remove the large in-hex plug in order to refill it.

Also, be careful to not over fill the slip joint on the drive shafts. 2-3 pumps on the grease gun maximum, or you could blow the seal and/or cause undue stress on the internals of the transfer case.

·
Registered
1993 GELENDERWAGEN engine # 617931-10-011-100 vin chassis # VAG 460323179 - 01328
1 Posts
What grade of heavy oil or grease should I be filling the ball joints with, using the large hexplug that is there?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
What grade of heavy oil or grease should I be filling the ball joints with, using the large hexplug that is there?
Multipurpose grease gun grease.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Here is the relevant document from Mercedes (see first PDF)

If you want to get REALLY picky this is the recommended grease:

grease.jpg

This is the seal ring, looks like a wee bit of trouble to replace (see second PDF):

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
The grease has no real lubrication function at all. It is there strictly to seal the CV joint and bearings from dirt and water intrusion. It is designed to slowly weep past the seal ring which keeps a positive flow against water and dirt ingress.

No question the seal ring replacement is a major pita. Been there and done that more than once, and it ain't fun. Also, that split seal is pretty much useless in my own personal experience. The complete circle seal really needs to be used for replacement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts