Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from Austria. I brought back tons of cool information. And no, nobody has a decisive answer (yet) about the future of the G.

Harald

interesting new wheel for the G below

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
4x4abc - 2/7/2005 2:38 PM

just got back from Austria. I brought back tons of cool information. And no, nobody has a decisive answer (yet) about the future of the G.

Harald

interesting new wheel for the G below
Welcome back Harald! That's a beautiful wheel and it doesn't surprise me in the least that no one at the conference had a decisive answer about the G.

I speculate that when the civilian W463 production ends, that is going to ultimately be it. Mercedes has invested so much money in the upcoming G or GL or MLG that they really don't care about those of us who wish to see the W463 continued. From what I have read, the new Cheif Executive is looking to cut costs from wherever he can and the W463 is just another thorn in the bush.

But there is always hope for the G, isn't there? [:)]

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,203 Posts
Love the Wheels!!!

I Love the look of the wheels.
Do they come in 16"?

Chuck

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Are the part numbers up on your website? Any change in width or offsets? Any new tires?

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't have them up on the site yet. Jet lag got me bad this time - have a hard time figuring out what time of the day it is.
All new wheels are 7,5x18 ET63 - no ET43 planned.

Harald

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
Harald,

It is interesting, your comment about DCAG's unwillingness to clearly say "Yes" or "No" about the G, suggests that there is still some processing of something important occurring. Or, it could just be not wanting to spoil potential sales of 2005 models. What is your best guess?

Also, prior to your departure you had a feeling about the possibility of there being a civilan production model of the 461. Did you pick up any further indications of that possibility?

Good luck with the jetlag.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
RE: Love the Wheels!!!

Welcome back Herr G Extremist,

The second wheel is my choice. It is so much like the first alloy for the G. A great look.

-Dai

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

To clear things up - the 2 day 4x4 congress was hosted by MagnaSteyr but had no connections with the G. Congress was very impressive with more than 500 participants.
http://www.magnasteyr.com/frames.php?seite=http%3A//www.magnasteyr.com/news/803_1351_ENG_HTML.html

In addition I toured the birthplace of the G and other Magna facilities. Plus I had some interesting talks with MagnaSteyr folks.

Before going to Graz I had talked to some G heads in Stuttgart for a day.

Bottom line: MagnaSteyr would love to keep building the G - most guys at DC responsible for the G would love to keep selling the G - however, unless the DC board decides otherwise, the G is dead.

Harald

·
Registered
2013 G 63 AMG
327 Posts
Maybe Shaikh Mohammed, crown prince of Dubai (aka CEO of Dubai Inc.) will intervene on our behalf. The government of Dubai bought 2% of DC last week and is now the third largest investor. He has been driving G-Wagen's since the early 80's and many people regularly see him driving around Dubai in his trademark white G-Class with license plate number "1". I saw him driving a new white G55 Kompressor a couple of weeks ago.

He has several in his "fleet" and travels to all official engagements in the city in his G55 usually accompanied by several other G55's and 500's in his entourage. I'm sure keeping important investors/customers happy is critical for DC's board. :)

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jimmy,

unfortunately 2% have no weight at DC.

Two things could save the G:

A MB board decides to continue G production
B private investor pruduces G under license (like Pinzgauer)

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts

Harald, I noticed my favorite speach was on Friday, Forum B at 8:30.

"Pre-emptive torque management"

I guess because there are terrorists under our hood with horsepower of mass destruction!?

Wow, one fellow owns 2% of DC. Well if the G constitutes about 2% of their market i could see him saying "I WANT MY DAMN G!"... or at that rate i could see him getting bitter, selling his DC stock, and he and his buddies buying Magna-Styer and and the whole lot, and the G and licensing it like the Pinz.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

well, Kuwait owns 7% of DC, MGM Mirage majority owner Kirk Kerkorian owns 3.3%

·
Registered
UK:V40;UAE:G500-2000
99 Posts
not to forget Deutsche Bank, with around 10.4%. and that dubai share of "only" 2% was bought with around $1bn..lol and we think $100k for a truck is too much :p

·
Registered
G400CDI,G320,G500
82 Posts
didn't know you were around in dubai.........strange............every time I try to get the G club going in the UAE nobody cares..........I have been driving them for 20 years in the UAE and my family was the first to import one a G230 long wheel base..........at the time everyone lauged at us calling it a BOX!!!!!!!Now we still have 8 cars and are going strong..........I think we will still be able to buy the G55 AMG but at very high prices..............special orders................this part of the world has the buying power and influence to push orders through at Graz........[;)]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts