Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been checking out the W140's lately, my friend got me hooked after a visit to Arizona and he let me drive his '99 S500 from Phoenix to Tuscon and back, beautiful ride! So anyway, I've been looking and I stumble across this cruddy looking S500 where the owner wants an awful lot of money, $12500. and he claims it's a Grand Edition that's 1 of 600 made. Meanwhile, his interior is stained and chipped up his rims have curb damage and his engine looks filthy and he's got cheesy wal-mart looking, rubber floor mats instead of the Grand Edition floor mats. So that got me to thinking, how does one go about determining, on sight alone if a Grand Edition is really a Grand Edition and not just someone claiming it to be?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
There are many cruddy examples of W140s out there... I've seen a few 600s that look much worse than a S320 all around.

I do believe that all 1999 W140 S500s were the Grand Edition. A lot of owners put the rubber floormats in their cars to protect the original floor from potential mud, dirt, snow, etc... I know I put rubber floormats into every car I cared about.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The Grand Edition was made only one way: Black exterior, light tan interior with black stained wood (including steering wheel), all with Aero wheels.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There is nothing extra ordinary about "Grand Editions"... trim difference with the same options and engine. It's the W140 last push out the door of an MB plant.

If it was a S600, then I would say it is worth 12,500...but an S500...just look at other years for S500...for $12,500...I promise you will find one in mint condition.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, Id like to thank you guys for pointing out tell-tale signs of the differences. I was simply curious, and that guys car, for the price....well it just seemed off. I've seen others, that were simply amazing Grand Edition specimens, for less money, you know? Knowledge is power and I learned something today, thanks to you guys! Right on!:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
There is more than a few "fingernail sized dings" in the interior. Looks like some of the interior wood is either cracked or missing altogether. Also, there is quite a lot of wear on the passenger seat, aswell as the driver seat.

Not sure if it's worth the $12,500.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is more than a few "fingernail sized dings" in the interior. Looks like some of the interior wood is either cracked or missing altogether. Also, there is quite a lot of wear on the passenger seat, aswell as the driver seat.

Not sure if it's worth the $12,500.
That's what I was saying....the rims are all chewed up too...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That's what I was saying....the rims are all chewed up too...
Yes, you see them all the time...the owner has something that they feel is unique and that everybody else will want..and even if it's no way close to what other similar cars are selling for, they feel justify for selling at the those prices....they are living in their own imaginations....sadly, it also shows that they have not done their homework before making the effort to put it up for sale.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Easy way to tell if its a Grand Edition is the light panels on the rockers. Anyone can get the mats and have had a 1999 with the color combo. He is correct it is one of 600 and at this point I would say probably 1 of 200 if its in nice shape. I am proudly the owner of 1 in pretty mint shape.

Only issue I have is trunk pump problems that are pissing me off and I also had the satin sides sprayed to match the body b/c they were fading and I hated the look anyway.

12500 Asking for that car is not a bad price at all. If I sold mine (123k miles) I would probably ask around that and would consider letting it go for 11k

·
Registered
710 Posts
Folks,

If I remember correctly, all '99 S500 were not GE's. I also believe the sill plates said "Grand Edition".

That flea bay model was "rode hard and put away wet". The PO did not show it any respect. This one may also be a shining example of "deferred maintenance".

Just my $0.02.

Good luck in your search.

Mike K.

·
Registered
235 Posts
that car is way too rough for the asking price...

Yes, you see them all the time...the owner has something that they feel is unique and that everybody else will want..and even if it's no way close to what other similar cars are selling for, they feel justify for selling at the those prices....they are living in their own imaginations....sadly, it also shows that they have not done their homework before making the effort to put it up for sale.
I concur, just not worth that kind of money. Keep shoping.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The door sills say "Mercedes Benz". They were an option on any S class.

The biggest tell if it's a Grand Edition in my opinion is the dark wood. I've never seen it on any other S class and hadn't heard it was an option.

The factory floor mats are stitched "Grand Edition" and I believe the owner's manual cover says it and are the only items on the car to my knowledge that actual states Grand Edition.

The one on eBay does appear to be one.

Good luck!

-m

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Lighted door sills

The GE's also have door sills that light up when the doors are opened. The words "Mercedes Benz" glow when the doors are opened. They also came with the window shades for the side windows. The seats have the look of the S600 seats. The black color is also obsidian black which is different from the standard black. If you search theforum there is a copy of a magazine review of the GE. I concur that $12k is too much for that car. That's why he has been trying to sell it for about 6 months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts