Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone with an R129 using an aftermarket GPS? <br> I'm looking for something that is neat, tidy and clean. I've heard good things about the Garmin Street Pilot lll, but find it rather clunky and untidy. For instance, is there anything that could be installed into the compartment above the center vents on the dash? <br> Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Garmin SP III is not very neat but does work through the soft top when placed on the shift console. With the hard top on my SL the SPIII w/ bean bag mount fits snugly under the dash compartment cover (when open) and is easy to see on the dash. Not very pretty but functional & easy to reach.

I found the SPIII a good product especially since I can take it from car to car.

·
Registered
Actually: S202/R129/C126/ 2W124/S124/ C124/A124/C123/ 2W201/W115/W108
173 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi! as you can see in the pictures is not a very very nice system, but I have yhe Nokia Ph...

Hi! as you can see in the pictures is not a very very nice system, but I have yhe Nokia Phone
9210 (9290 in the USA) with his GPS module that costs 300 $ more or less since six months ago and I don't have any idea to put this system in my 190, but when I purchased the Sl I see it clear...
The support is maded in stainless steel and is the cheaper piece that you can put in an Sl... I know that is not so elegant.. but I use the GPS only when I don't know the route. The GPS module comes with an external antenna that you can instal in exterior with no holes, cause is strongly magnetic, and the software included in this sistem is the TOMTOM citymaps and Routeplaner(The same that use the PALM)... but I only have the Europe version, I don't know if nokia sells that kit in the US, but you can take a look in Nokia.com.
The reception and the details are so good, and normaly you can go without the antenna, but with less detail... and you have the phone at the same time, wich is so great, cause you can plan your city travels with an option to go by foot!

Attachments

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
Here's a custom installion of a GPS that will fit neatly into your SL. It's an Alpine navigation system. If You want something more a compact, easier to read get a canon palm pilot organizer ($299-$499) and get an attachment/GPS software @ your local circuit city. It will attach to the winshield like a radar detector. I find it much suitable. You can take it with you anywhere and the good thing is that your can take from car to car, all you need is a car cigar lighter for power.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, it's the same solution

Yes, you are right, and I think that is the same software for both solutions, mine it's a little bit more complicated, but you have the phone included...
OOOps! and you have a QWERTY keipad, wich is very useful when you put directions to go!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alpine GPS

Quicksilver827:

I really like the look of your Alpine custom installation. Could you supply details? Model, interface requirements, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
Levind, The GPS Navigation is a Alpine NVE-N852A. I had it installed professionally b...

Levind,
The GPS Navigation is a Alpine NVE-N852A. I had it installed professionally by my cousin last august. The installation itself is pretty easy. The Nav. Hard Drive is installed in the rear storage compartment behind the seats, the connection wires are run through underneath the center console . Silvia is currently in a storage work shop. A revision of the navigation, sound, entertainment system is going to be installed when my cousin get back from Japan. If you are planning to get my installed I suggest a professional. You can find more info about this system @
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xgcWWfo0rbG/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?s=2&c=3&g=79600&i=500nven852&o=m&a=0ets
what I meant by revised is that I'm going to get the whole interior of my car redone. My cousin is going to do it for me and we are trying to get it to look like something like this or better:

Attachments

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
The GPS nav. sys. should put you back at $2k (like that of my previous configuration). If ...

The GPS nav. sys. should put you back at $2k (like that of my previous configuration). If you don't plan on wasting that amount of money, I recommend the palm pilot, It works in my 911 and Viper. Very simple, compact, and versitile. These pictures are not that of my car. My cousin saw these modifications in Japan and emailed them to me. This is what we are planning to do when he gets back in July. By way, Chinche, in no way disrespecting you, I can indeed input address even phone numbers. Can yours do that? Does yours have voice guidance so you wouldn't have to look back and forth and be a death hazard to you and everone else on the road? instant route calculation? and my screen/monitor is much more viewable and can yours play DVD (hooked up)? [}:)][:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Of Course Quicksilver

Of Course that this system is better than mine!
I'm not the center of the Universe! I'm comparing my system to the Palm system, not to a system like that, I Want to put a system like this in the future, with DVD player and TV too, but this message starts with a question about a cheap system, I'm sorry if I don't explain myself correctly, be sure that I'm realistic, I'm impressed with the system that you have shown us!... but you must understand that english is not my language, it's for this reason that I can be wrong with certain expressions that I use here, I'm sorry.

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
Chinche there's no need to be sorry. I'm just pointing out the features. btw even with ...

Chinche there's no need to be sorry. I'm just pointing out the features. btw even with the palm pilot, here in the states, you can input direction and some of the newer palm organizer do have the phone feature that has a touch screen keypad. One my friend has one in his 550 Maranello. He find it easier and less expensive. There is really no need to have a System like mine. To him, why have a high tech system? When You have a larger entertainment, security system at home. [:)]

·
Registered
ML 320 2000
332 Posts
I think you can all, buy used Navigator Systems, from others MB cars, and install them with an Alpine GPS antena, I already saw some working...

Anyone has more information to add![:)]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts