Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week, my GPS (built-in MB nav) has been lost twice while it's been raining. Last week, in a moderate rain in the morning, the GPS had me located somewhere in Europe, while I was on the PA turnpike near Philly! Today, it's raining very heavy, and the GPS is showing my location about 1 mi from where I actually was located. The car was sitting out all evening and morning in a heavy rain. When I left the house, the GPS was accurate and providing directions to a location 10 miles from my house. Along the way it would momentarily (ie. for a few secs) lose track of where I was, then locate itself again. On the way home not using directions, the GPS started locating me about 1/4 mile away from my location and slowly started drifting further away. I've used GPSs of all sorts over the past 6 years, I've never seen this happen. Has anyone else experienced this? Any explanations?

My car particulars, 2010 C300 with premium sound/MM system. Newly updated, 2012 maps.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Look for water in the splitter cable from the GPS antenna. Water in the splitter can cause you to lose contact with all satellites (which is probably why the nav showed you in Europe) or reduce the number of satellites you are receiving (which explains the closer, but still inaccurate readings).

You don't tell us what model car you have, which would have helped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skylaw,
Thanks for the reply. Since it's still under warranty, I guess I need to bring this in. I was curious if this was a "feature" or a defect. It sounds like it's the latter.

Acutally, I did mention that it is a 2010 C300 Sport at the end of the post. Sorry you didn't see it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brought it to the dealer today and they confirmed that there was a short in the antenna. They replaced it under warranty and it seems to be working grant. Hopefully, that'll be the case when it rains, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts