Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I would stay away

I'd predict that car will go for an insanely high price.

People go crazy with auction fever

People go crazy over low mileage cars, and low mileage by itself means little as to the condition of the car.

Probably, as with typical auction cars, there is NO way to have it inspected, or test driven.

Someone on another site ran the carfax on it. That
thing has been all over the place, Alaska, Europe, Texas, wherever its owners were posted. Probably has NEVER been serviced, and has all original fluids in it. It is a USED car without any warranty or recourse.

MAYBE it would be a good car, but then again, maybe it's a flood car. How would you know?:dunno:

·
Registered
1985 300CD, '85 500SEC, '97 SL320, '08 CLK350 Cabriolet
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have nothing to do with the site, I've done business with them before here in Maryland. The government has contracted with that company to dispose of government surplus equipment instead of each base having onsite auctions. Most bases you can go and preview the items with advance notice so you can get on the base (security reasons).

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
^^^How would it work in this case with a car?

^^^^^How close can you get to the vehicle? Can you start it, test drive it, have it off removed off site for inspection, inspect paperwork or service records, before bidding?

So, how does it really worK, with this auction setup?

Do you think auction fever, combined with the low stated mileage would push the bids into the stratosphere?

It's still buyer beware, sold "as is", where is, all sales final, no guarantees whatsoever, right?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
i think you buy it as is, no test drives, nothing, and there is no guarantee. i bought a car from an auction like that before, it didn't even have any keys to start the car, had to hot wire it, and got the keys made at the dealer later. it was a really good deal though, payed like $2000 for a $10000 dollar car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts