Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced a tail light lense on my 420SEL. Only the Germans could build a unit like that. Six nuts with a million threads per inch followed by 6 screws the size of a gnat's eyelash just to hold together the assembly. More complex curves in the pieces than Madonna in her prime. There's more engineering in this unit than there is in my entire Jeep Commander. The beauty of it is that after 18 years, the gaskets were as good as gold and the sheet metal it attaches to looks like it just came out of the showroom.

Every new project with this car makes me appreciate it more.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
Well at least you got it! Good-O!

You should try the chrome across the back of a coupe. Aaahh... There's where you find Zen...

3 screws on each corner smaller than the ones on the lights. And if you screw them a Nano-Meter too much, they make pokey marks in your brand new chrome that you just had redone.... Oh Joy...

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,103 Posts
3 screws on each corner smaller than the ones on the lights. And if you screw them a Nano-Meter too much, they make pokey marks in your brand new chrome that you just had redone.... Oh Joy...
I remember that job well. Not fun. :mad:

The corner pieces have three screws and the nuts slide in the chrome piece. You'll need the fingers of a 9-year old piano player (long and slim) to hold everything in place while you tighten it down. :surrender:

·
Registered
1991 420SEL, flirting with 200k
150 Posts
Sounds like the things of nightmares, I had to put a taillight in my 300D once, the previous owner backed into something too, which made it really fun, I remember trying to beat it into place with a rubber mallet whilst being gentle enough to not break it.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,051 Posts
You should try to repair a not working seat adjustment switch - thats great :D

Roland

1 - 5 of 5 Posts