Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
C320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I got it from my local dealer, it is named "Mercury Platinum Warranty",
the dealer told me it was the best choice for the car tho is still under the original
warranty, it is $2300 for 75,000 miles or 5 years. Covers everything except
some not important items like seats and sound system and hoses. Hopefully
I will not use it.

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
Buellwinkle, you have such a way with words...
I do have to agree, though. I got a one year/50K mile extention (total of 5 years/100K) for an additional 890.00 thru Mercedes...

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Haha! $890 sounds like a fair deal. It just seems that about 3 times that price is a little steep, the less miles is salt on the wound. I hope he knows I'm kidding when I say about the car falling apart but it would almost have to for the price to justify itself.

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
The poor guy probably has emotional skid-marks across his forehead on the thought of his car having to totally trash itself in order to get his money back on his warranty! :)

·
Registered
'03 C240, '03 ML350
144 Posts
Seems a bit steep for 75k covereage. But I can't fault anyone for buying an extended warranty for their MB. I say good heads up foxlet.

·
Registered
2002 C230
34 Posts
cagalbraith said:
Buellwinkle, you have such a way with words...
I do have to agree, though. I got a one year/50K mile extention (total of 5 years/100K) for an additional 890.00 thru Mercedes...
I know there have been a number of threads on this in the past, but now that someone else has brought it up... the 4 year warranty on my car runs out at the end of June and I am seriously considering an extended warranty.

The warranty I am referring to is the one that is honoured at all Mercedes Benz dealerships.

In Canada, I believe it costs ~$2000 $CAD for an added two years of coverage (probably close to $890US/year), from the dealership. Does Mercedes Benz fix this price, or are the dealers free to charge whatever they wish?

My car has pretty low mileage (~25,500miles), as the previous owner did not drive it through the winter, and not much warranty work has been done on it so far (tie rod replaced, 1 feul injector replaced, small oil leak, sunroof adjusted). I would think it to be a relatively "low risk" case that dealerships might be more tempted to adjust the price on the warranty for, if they actually have the option to do so.

Cheers.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I've owned several MBs and I can tell you that MB's are typically unreliable off the showroom floor. Once you had them for 2 years they are very reliable and I don't think an extended warranty is justified. I've run a W201 for 200K miles and it was very problematic the first year (tranny, radio, horn replace first week).

·
Registered
2002 C230
34 Posts
Buellwinkle said:
I've owned several MBs and I can tell you that MB's are typically unreliable off the showroom floor. Once you had them for 2 years they are very reliable and I don't think an extended warranty is justified. I've run a W201 for 200K miles and it was very problematic the first year (tranny, radio, horn replace first week).
I'm mostly concerned with the panoramic sunroof. I use it all the time... but would be nervous to do so if the car was off warranty. Maintenance / replacement would likely be big bucks.

Has anyone had their panoramic roof serviced / fixed / replaced off warranty? Or does anyone know the costs involved?

·
Registered
'03 C240, '03 ML350
144 Posts
Buellwinkle said:
I agree with you concerning MB reliability Buellwinkle. However, I see ew's as insurance in the case of a major repair bill. Chances are, he won't recoup the 'premium' he paid for his insurance. But if he has an 'accident', he will realize all of his capital and then some. We all, or most of us, buy auto insurance. Most of us will never need it. But those who do realize quickly that it wasn't a waste of money. Same principle with ew's.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Also depends on how much you can fix yourself, or even understand how to do it yourself so you don't get taken by shady mechanics. For me, I look at it this way, EW's are extremely profitable, probably 10-15 cents of every dollar paid by the consumer is paid out in claims. If I paid for ew for my 5 cars then It would cost me a lot for little return. Say each car was $2,300 to add an additional year to the warranty as originally posted, that's $11,500/yr. Yet I paid less than $1,000 repairing all 5 cars (not counting maintenance but including all that was covered under warranty for those cars still under warranty) last year.

A little different than insurance as liability coverage is mandated by the government and collision and comp is mandated by your lender/leasor.

·
Registered
'03 C240, '03 ML350
144 Posts
Right. But when you have 5 cars, you can park one for awhile when it has a problem. If you have two cars and rely on both of them for primary transportation, then you need them fixed and quickly. I'm a diy guy, so most problems I could repair myself. For those who aren't diy, rely on their cars as their main mode of transportation, and don't want the unexpected major out-of-pocket expense right before Christmas, I think an ew is prudent. And while auto insurance is mandated by statute and lending contracts, it is done so for a reason - most people don't have the liquid cash to quickly reimburse others for damages resulting from accidents or payoff the notes to the banks. If we did, we wouldn't finance them to begin with.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I don't drive 5 cars, there are 4 drivers in my house, me, wife, 2 kids, + a spare. The thing is that if you take the money, stuff it in a savings account for each extended warranty, paid for repairs out of that account based on the extended warranty schedule, you would have a nice retirement nest egg. Actually, if you do the math and buy a new C230 every 4 yrs when the factory warranty was up, it's cheaper than doing a 6 yr EW + the additional depreciation. It turns out that MB's really lose a lot of value after 3-4 yrs. For example, the depreciation after 3 yrs is less than years 4 through 6. I did this on kbb.com a few years ago and it was true and probably is still true.

·
Registered
'03 C240, '03 ML350
144 Posts
Buellwinkle said:
I don't drive 5 cars, there are 4 drivers in my house, me, wife, 2 kids, + a spare. The thing is that if you take the money, stuff it in a savings account for each extended warranty, paid for repairs out of that account based on the extended warranty schedule, you would have a nice retirement nest egg. Actually, if you do the math and buy a new C230 every 4 yrs when the factory warranty was up, it's cheaper than doing a 6 yr EW + the additional depreciation. It turns out that MB's really lose a lot of value after 3-4 yrs. For example, the depreciation after 3 yrs is less than years 4 through 6. I did this on kbb.com a few years ago and it was true and probably is still true.
Buellwinkle, I'm not trying to argue with you. Believe me, you are making sense. I just don't think spending a little over 2k for some insurance over major auto repairs is a bad idea. In an age when people are dropping 2-3k easy on a new set of rims and tires, all for looks, I think it's refreshing to know that there are some out there that are more concerned about the overall condition of their ride. Would I pay $2300 for an addtional year and 25k miles? Probably not. But when I was a SA for MB, contrary to your belief, I saw quite a few just out of warranty repairs. Mostly W210 oil leaks but the list ran the gamut from ABS and electrical to tranny problems. Most were "goodwill" warranty repairs, but that was based on dealer service records. All in all, I don't think foxlet should be criticized for looking out for his W203. I hope he doesn't need his ew and he probably won't. But it's there and there are worse things to spend the cash on.

·
Registered
C320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi all friends:

I felt sorry a bit for some unnecessary argues here because of my message.
I remembered that some person asked for the information for the extended warranty, so I put out my own experience here, in order to give your some information might be helpful. Yes someone might said it not worth for $23k--
It is OK. But remember that we come here mainly for information and I hope we can help each other. So I donot think any necessary for the argues. But I always appreciate your nice comments and kind help.

BTW, I think it is worth--Because I seldom use this car, for example last year I used it for only 4k miles, but there was a time where there was a noisy
for the air condition, I took it to the dealer and they said not a big problem but the bill said around $1000(I didnot need to pay for it because of warranty).Honestly,no one knows what will happened to your car tomorrow, compare with the probability for having such two bills in next five years, I prefer the extend warranty. I plan to upgrade my MB next year, but I still want to give the warranty freely to the next owner if possible, to make him feel better--because he will be also an owner of MB.We need to help each other.

Thanks

·
Registered
00 ML320 & 02 C230K
64 Posts
EWs are a good thing.

My 2002 C230K just came out of factory warranty and I signed up for an EW via Warranty Direct. I opted for their Major Care package which covers all the major components like engine, transmission, ABS, ECM, electronics, suspension, stereo, etc... I am now covered until 2010 or 100K miles with a $0 deductible. Very reasonably priced too. It's excellent insurance that I already had to use as my C230 just had the dreaded tranny leak. All fixed under warranty coverage directly billed to Warranty Direct and no added fees whatsoever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts