Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, but it's difficult on the phone.

I've read about the codes (P0016 and P0017) on other classes, but anyone get it on their R350?

What are the chances it's the magnets, sensors or the intermediate shaft?

I'll start with the magnets and then the sensors. Just need to add it to the ball joint repair list...

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Definitely try the magnets first. One of the things we do at our shop is drain the engine oil then see if the tech can find a tooth/teeth on the bottom the oil pan, insert a magnet into the drain hole. If they find a tooth, then the motor is bad, if not, it would be a good idea to start off with magnets the monitor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Good idea on the search for the gear tooth in the oil pan.

As far as the engine goes, it's running like a top ( knock on wood ) so I'm nit sure what that tells me.

Looks like we need to starting looking for another ride. With 117K miles, it's getting long in the tooth, which is sad for a Benz. The days of 200K miles and more are gone.

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Nah, 200k miles is not a problem, its the things around the engine and transmission that will probably fail first, pretty much all newer cars are built the same way now a days.

·
Registered
02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
1,632 Posts
In my case 2 years ago, during city driving the R started to shake then CEL came out. Took out the OBD reader - no codes read. When I reset the CEL the R went back to running and no more shaking. Two months after, code PO0016 & PO0017 showed up and was able to go home. In short, I changed all 4 solenoids/magnet. Car running smoothly for about 3 to 4 months. When one day was attending to a party 40 miles away the R stalled and towed to MB shop. Next day, SA called the problem was the "camshaft". The R stayed at the dealer for 10 days. I am not scaring you but sounds like....the start of something big.

·
Registered
2006 R350
191 Posts
Had mine done about oh, four months ago. Camshaft sensor. If not magnets, it's probably sensor. don't let 'em run you around. There is a TSB out for it. They have to check, it was issued about a year or so ago. Mine spent 6 days in shop before they went back to check TSB's and found it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking back, I want to say the dealer replaced the magnets and/or sensors under a TSB a good while back. I'll have to check our records.

I'm not very friendly with our one and only local dealer after our car was flooded by water intrusion in the air box intake. Neither the dealer or MBUSA were helpful.

I'll drop it by our indy asap for a diagnoses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it's the balance shaft issue you should call around to local dealers. I have talked to mine about it and he said mercedes is covering it even if the vehicle is out of warranty. He did say you need to have both codes show up before they will be able to get it warrantied, so no preventative repairs unfortunately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the CEL a week back, went to a local AutoZone to get the codes and alas got the P0016 and P0017. A930ROCKET - did you get a chance to take a look at yours?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have a semi-update. Took the car to our Indy to read the codes. Looks like an internal issue as suggested by others - an intermediate/balance shaft issue. As our one and only local dealer sucks, I'll have to take it 2 hours away for service.

Any suggestions from you guys on what do and say to get the best deal from the dealer/MBUSA?

What about current lawsuits on the issue? Where do we stand on those?

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100K? Well, that sucks if true. Our car has 120K (mostly highway miles).

We have an appointment this Friday, so we will find out what the repair cost will be...

·
Registered
37 Posts
100K? Well, that sucks if true. Our car has 120K (mostly highway miles).

We have an appointment this Friday, so we will find out what the repair cost will be...

They should prorate after 100K, not sure what mileage the coverage goes to zero. I would hope they give their vehicles an expected lifespan of 150kish.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update: Got the estimate for over $9K including new manifold. Now I have to see what MBUSA will do if anything, find an indy that can do it if MBUSA won't help or install a used engine outside the affected range.

How hard is it to replace the manifold and why would it need replacing? Does it crack or is it a gasket/vacuum leak issue? It just started to hunt at idle.

I can't imagine the car is worth mote than $15K, so a $9K repair bill makes it difficult to swallow.

Thoughts?

Complaint:Engine light on,Idles rough
and engine reving
Parts list:Intake manifold 1150.00
Balance shaft* 550.00.
Timing chain** 395.00
Spark plugs****** 210.00
Intake gaskets20.50
Air filters************ 88.00
Times 2 oil & filter change 240.00
Cam plugs********* 40.00
Engine mounts375.00
Trans mount***** 95.00
Poly belt*************** 110.00
Belt tensioner* **245.00
Idler pulley********* 95.00
Total*********************** 3613.50
Tax******************************* 252.95
Parts total************ 3866.45
Labor************************ 5200.00
Grand total********** 9066.45

·
Registered
2006 MB R350
83 Posts
Update: Got the estimate for over $9K including new manifold. Now I have to see what MBUSA will do if anything, find an indy that can do it if MBUSA won't help or install a used engine outside the affected range.

How hard is it to replace the manifold and why would it need replacing? Does it crack or is it a gasket/vacuum leak issue? It just started to hunt at idle.

I can't imagine the car is worth mote than $15K, so a $9K repair bill makes it difficult to swallow.

Thoughts?

Complaint:Engine light on,Idles rough
and engine reving
Parts list:Intake manifold 1150.00
Balance shaft* 550.00.
Timing chain** 395.00
Spark plugs****** 210.00
Intake gaskets20.50
Air filters************ 88.00
Times 2 oil & filter change 240.00
Cam plugs********* 40.00
Engine mounts375.00
Trans mount***** 95.00
Poly belt*************** 110.00
Belt tensioner* **245.00
Idler pulley********* 95.00
Total*********************** 3613.50
Tax******************************* 252.95
Parts total************ 3866.45
Labor************************ 5200.00
Grand total********** 9066.45[/QUOTE
So you are complaining about a cracked manifold and MB sounds like they want to rebuild your engine. I would try taking it somewhere else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Two separate issues: The balance shaft and the engine idle surging. I'm familiar with the known balance shaft issue, but not the intake manifold.

Nevertheless, it's crazy money and there are plenty of items on the list I can myself or I think don't need to be replaced, such as motor and trans mounts, belt, plugs, etc.

[quote/]"So you are complaining about a cracked manifold and MB sounds like they want to rebuild your engine. I would try taking it somewhere else".[/quote]

·
Registered
2006 MB R350
83 Posts
Yes, I would think you would be able to reuse or not need to replace a lot of those parts at this time.

I also have the balance shaft problem, I just bought my R350 1 month ago from a used dealer who also gave me a 6 month warranty. They say they are going to fix the problem themselves (they do have a qualified mechanic on site). But I am just under 100k miles and wonder if MB would fix this even though I am not the original owner.?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Called MBUSA and the case manager says MBUSA will not help. She reported that I didn't get my car serviced at the dealer. When did that become a requirement? Asked for her manager and she refused.

Same run around deal when the air intake drain clogged and water damaged the blower motor. I fixed that in an hour and a $150 part.

Maybe I should have bought a 200,000 mile warranty instead of a 100,000 warranty...

Can MBUSA suck any more?

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts
Called MBUSA and the case manager says MBUSA will not help. She reported that I didn't get my car serviced at the dealer. When did that become a requirement? Asked for her manager and she refused.

Same run around deal when the air intake drain clogged and water damaged the blower motor. I fixed that in an hour and a $150 part.

Maybe I should have bought a 200,000 mile warranty instead of a 100,000 warranty...

Can MBUSA suck any more?
That sucks, and I'm sure that you would have had the same issue even MB had done the service, it is just a lame excuse from MBUSA

Do you have all receipts from your service done, listing the parts and oil used etc, as I believe that this should be enough to verify that you followed the service manual and you should be able to fight with them.

On the other hand I would let an INDY MB service place make the repair, as if MBUSA is not willing to work with you they should not get the repair job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts