Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my 2009 C-350 Sport with 39000 miles and I couldn't be happier, no more $350 to $550 oil changes and a multitude of problems.
I had the car for 16 months and the car was in the shop 18 times and the stealership never really took care of my problems like I thought they should be taken care of.
No more Mercedes for me, I bought a new 2011 Avalon, the car is quieter and rides smoother, has same size engine 3.5 as my Mercedes and oil changes are only $35 great car better price and better service.

·
Registered
2012 ML350 Dakota Brown Bluetec
27 Posts
Hey, good luck with your new ride. Hope the gas pedal does not get stuck with the floor mats!! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've never understood posts like this on car forums.

What's the point? To start a discussion on a Benz forum about how much better another car is? Just bitterness that you had bad luck and got a car that caused you trouble?

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
I've never understood posts like this on car forums.

What's the point? To start a discussion on a Benz forum about how much better another car is? Just bitterness that you had bad luck and got a car that caused you trouble?
I hope we can all wish him well and good luck with his new car, but if he feels the Avalon is a "great car", he probably never should have been in an MB showroom in the first place. Notwithstanding the quality issues with his particular car, one cannot derive high personal satisfaction from a car which aspired to be a "Japanese Buick or Mercury", and understand an MB well enough to appreciate it. May his "smooth ride" keep him comfortable and happy!!:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
One aspect that makes me chuckle about these kinds of posts... I remember when I was shortly out of school, 22 or so, and I broke up with the woman who was my first serious basically-lives-with-me girlfriend.

Shortly after I met somebody new and I was pumped and delighted because the Ex was just awful and was on my case non-stop and we'd be at one anothers throats far too often.

And this new woman seemed none of that. And I told my sister "It's great, she just doesn't have any drama." And my sister said "Shane, she's a woman, we all have drama."

She was, of course, right. It just takes some time, you don't discover the drama on a test drive. :) I did end up marrying that woman but oooooh boy do I chuckle at how naive I was :)

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
One aspect that makes me chuckle about these kinds of posts... I remember when I was shortly out of school, 22 or so, and I broke up with the woman who was my first serious basically-lives-with-me girlfriend.

Shortly after I met somebody new and I was pumped and delighted because the Ex was just awful and was on my case non-stop and we'd be at one anothers throats far too often.

And this new woman seemed none of that. And I told my sister "It's great, she just doesn't have any drama." And my sister said "Shane, she's a woman, we all have drama."

She was, of course, right. It just takes some time, you don't discover the drama on a test drive. :) I did end up marrying that woman but oooooh boy do I chuckle at how naive I was :)
Great story! But, in this case, the OP has done an outstanding job at finding possibly the most "no drama" car on the market. Assuming the Avalon doesn't unexpectedly accelerate, I just hope he can stay awake driving it! Most of the folks who buy that car are 60s+, have a commensurate mindset*, and drive away figuring they are living large in their higher quality alternative to a Lincoln! Bless their hearts!

(*BTW, I'm just about 57, but refuse to go along...still require 3 pedals in my cars!)

·
Registered
08 C350 Sport, Mars Red. 04 330i ZHP
34 Posts
$350 oil changes? WTF!! 9 qts of M1 0W-40, $45. One oil filter, $10 or so. .5 hours in your garage and done. Can't get much easier and for a total of about $55 - $60. Is his mechanic named Jeves? Must have got the oil changed in a clean lab at the CDC.

·
Registered
2008 C350 Blk with Gray (sold), 2011 E550 Cab, 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera/Targa 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback
230 Posts
$350 oil changes? WTF!! 9 qts of M1 0W-40, $45. One oil filter, $10 or so. .5 hours in your garage and done. Can't get much easier and for a total of about $55 - $60. Is his mechanic named Jeves? Must have got the oil changed in a clean lab at the CDC.
LOL! I was thinking the same thing. My stealership charges about $140 for an oil change and about $225 for an A service. Still high but it is a 43k german car after all! Im sure the Avalon is a nice car and hope he enjoys it, its just not my cup of tea!

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
1,021 Posts
OP needed to shop around for his Service A & B if he's paying those prices. I've seen dealers charge as low as $100 for service A and $200 for service B. Indies will charge even less. Sounds like you had issues differentiating the difference between dealer and manufacturer. Sorry the dealer tainted your opinion of MB, but you'll find shady dealers everywhere, regardless of make. Good luck in your Avalon

·
Registered
'16 GMC Canyon, '09 C300,'66 Mustang cnvrt-High Cntry Spl,'01 Mustng Cobr, Elec.golf car-35 MPH!
115 Posts
"miles and I couldn't be happier, no more $350 to $550 oil changes"

I've told ya a million times - stop exaggerating! LOL :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice gurl car - good luck with that (coming from a former Avalon owner)... ;)

I just traded in my 2009 C-350 Sport with 39000 miles and I couldn't be happier, no more $350 to $550 oil changes and a multitude of problems.
I had the car for 16 months and the car was in the shop 18 times and the stealership never really took care of my problems like I thought they should be taken care of.
No more Mercedes for me, I bought a new 2011 Avalon, the car is quieter and rides smoother, has same size engine 3.5 as my Mercedes and oil changes are only $35 great car better price and better service.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Good luck w/Avalon, no doubt the "geezer-pleaser" (as described by press) will have lower operating costs.

·
Registered
2008 mercedes c-350
89 Posts
Boring Toyota

Its shows this gentleman doesn't know ANYTHING about cars.Sure Toyota's are reliable(Or use to be) but so is everything else,they all look alike no character. At least a Mercedes looks like a Mercedes and you are driving something that won't be mistaken for a Kia.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had (still have it) my C300 4Matic for the last 2 years and have 40K miles on it. I took it to dealership only twice, for A and B service. I can't complain. It's a great car. Last weekend we had 6 inches of snow and I was driving 50-60 mph on the freeway passing all other cars (including SUVs) who could only do 30-40 mph. :)

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes C350
40 Posts
Did the OP buy his car used?!! :confused: I don't understand why oil changes were that much? In any event good luck to you on your new purchase! You do know that you most likely had a lemon right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive got to say, well first I dont post much, cause I dont even own a Benz yet, (still researching, lol) but Ive been a Toyota guy since 1983, love them, I dont know many manufactors that you can get 200K + miles with nothing more than normal maintenance, Ive been known to beat my 4runners, take them places they are NOT desinged to be driven, been known to drive it like a race car, lol, and it just keeps purring.

Now, like others have said, no matter what the manufactor, there will always be one thats not up to par, no matter how many quaility checks they have, one will slip by, heck Ive heard of $300K cars having issues, the point to this is, seems like the OP got the bad one that slipped by....

I wish ya the best with the yota :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
18 trips to same dealership requires more patience than I have, switching to another dealership can only be a better alternative.

I use a independent for my Mercedes service, savings of 30% is average so far.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
I thought the W204's were real MB's.

Guess not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought the W204's were real MB's.

Guess not.
lol.

But seriously, after 4-5 trips to the same dealer, why not switch? :surrender: surrender yourself to another...don't let yourself be captive if they are doing a poor job..

also, the warranty is pretty nice on MBs...so, even used, isn't it covered up to 50k miles? i'm about to buy extended warranty on mine...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts