Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! Been a while since I posted. Been busy with the new job, it's long hours with a long commute, almost 2 hours each way, but well worth it!

So I was going to a work function last night, driving down Vine Ave. between 3rd St. and Beverly Blvd. and I was rear ended by a young lady.

I pulled over and she did too, and we exchanged info and as I was sitting in my car ready to leave, she came over to me and had her parents on the phone and they were wanting to see if they could replace the bumper cover and actually had that part up on their computer, and I told them that these were very rare Euro bumpers and they would have better luck finding Hens teeth or Unicorn babies. I explained the differences to them, and that I was somewhat knowledgeable on this matter and they could look here and see my work. I don't know if they did or not, but we'll see how this all works out. I did explain that these bumpers were basically "Willed" to me by Greg whose car met its untimely death at the hands of a hit and run driver, and that they are EXTREMELY hard to find.

She hit me so hard that my radio popped out of it's mount, and it was securely mounted in there, and the visors were dislodged. It was a pretty hard whack and my neck and shoulders hurt.

I did have front and rear camera's going to a recorder in the car to aide in just this sort of issue, so we will see what will happen.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1991 560SEC (Federal), 1991 420SEL (California)
2,784 Posts
Hi Mike, is good to see you back from time to time!

I am glad to hear that you are pretty much all right. I hope that your neck and shoulders will be fine soon, wish you a quick and complete recovery. I also understand that despite the hard hit (the radio popped out), mostly the bumper is damaged. If it was on the corner of the car, the damage would have much more extensive.

Anyway, glad to hear that overall you are fine, the damage is little, and you enjoy the new job.

·
Premium Member
07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
2,834 Posts
One of my cars got smacked in the back a few months ago. He drove away, but witnesses identified him. I contacted him on the phone and he admitted it and said "get it fixed, I will pay". I think he had done this before and was worried about too many insurance claims on his policy. The whole arrangement made me a little nervous. But I picked out the body shop and they contacted him about payment before starting. Turned out they knew the guy (previous customer). Body shop made the repair and the guy drove in and paid them $2,100.

·
Registered
1991 350SDL
1,124 Posts
Hopefully the body isn't crinkled :(

Are euro bumpers shock mounted like DOT ones?

-J

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mike, is good to see you back from time to time!

I am glad to hear that you are pretty much all right. I hope that your neck and shoulders will be fine soon, wish you a quick and complete recovery. I also understand that despite the hard hit (the radio popped out), mostly the bumper is damaged. If it was on the corner of the car, the damage would have much more extensive.

Anyway, glad to hear that overall you are fine, the damage is little, and you enjoy the new job.
Yeah, the damage is not that bad. She called me to tell me that her dad restores old cars too and rattled off a bunch of cars he did and he is in charge of the SD Classic Museum or something and since the damage is so "slight" they just reported it to Farmers, which I have too.

I'm going to the doctors today to get checked out, and I will start the search of another Gen II Euro bumper. Maybe David has one he would part with? He's about the only one that can find Unicorn babies.

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you're okay Mike! Sorry to hear about that bumper, what terrible luck. If your trunk is damaged let me know I got one here you can have for free buddy.
Thanks Bud!

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully the body isn't crinkled :(

Are euro bumpers shock mounted like DOT ones?

-J
I think they are. It is a little caved in on the drivers side of it and the chrome top piece is bent up a little.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
"This is why I drive a $1500 beater daily driver"

It is amazing the amount of people you see texting and driving these days. Its pretty obvious when they have their heads turned downwards and eyes high lining the road.

If they come up with a way to block texting while GPS is moving, I'm for it. But that would leave passengers out with the ability to text. So its a complex issue.

Yeah I have a Gen2 bumper set. Charlie, the front is still waiting to be picked up.

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"This is why I drive a $1500 beater daily driver"

It is amazing the amount of people you see texting and driving these days. Its pretty obvious when they have their heads turned downwards and eyes high lining the road.

If they come up with a way to block texting while GPS is moving, I'm for it. But that would leave passengers out with the ability to text. So its a complex issue.

Yeah I have a Gen2 bumper set. Charlie, the front is still waiting to be picked up.
Well save it for me and I will let the adjuster know if mine cannot be fixed.

You wouldn't by any chance have a Gen II Euro front spoiler would you?

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,599 Posts
Mike - very glad to hear you came through OK. What can I do to help with the car (Vegas Pic-a-part??)?

On the non-car side, I was volunteered to be in a 4-car accident up in San Fran, which totaled my pristine (of course it was) '82 300D. Jim Baubel pointed out that a part of the settlement will be a multiplier (not a percentage) of the medical bills, and he was right. Go get yourself extremely well checked out!!! I did a series of chiropractor visits (again, at Jim's insistence) which not only helped me, but helped the bottom line.

Did I mention that you need to go get some excellent medical assistance? :)

Get well, buddy!

Reactions: Teutone

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Go get yourself extremely well checked out!!! I did a series of chiropractor visits (again, at Jim's insistence) which not only helped me, but helped the bottom line.

+1 on medical assistance.

Jim sure knew the shtick and was very detailed when it came to insurance advice...

·
Registered
1991 560SEL, 1981 300SD
162 Posts
I've been rear ended twice with this baby installed, no damage either time. I never take the ball out anymore.

·
Registered
1983 DIY 500 SE 117.963..5-liter V8, 1994 DIY E420 5-liter M119.960..V8, '09 CLK550 5.5-liter M273
338 Posts
Mclare you have a very kind, considerate and forgiving heart, because in the state of California, anyone who drives following too close, such that they rear-end another vehicle, is more than likely going to find themselves and their insurance company at the business end of a robust, multi-pronged lawsuit seeking MAJOR cash damages as compensation for the costly medical management of whiplash injuries, whether they occurred or not, as an opening salvo.

My cynical mind regards the focus on vehicular repairs by the other party as a ploy intended to divert attention from your very strong position in any litigation that might be under consideration.

The pain in your neck and shoulders should certainly be looked into by a chiropractor, just for your own peace of mind, even if you have opted to allow the person whose car crashed into your vehicle from behind, to walk away after settling a car repair bill alone.

·
Registered
1983 DIY 500 SE 117.963..5-liter V8, 1994 DIY E420 5-liter M119.960..V8, '09 CLK550 5.5-liter M273
338 Posts
I've been rear ended twice with this baby installed, no damage either time. I never take the ball out anymore.

I like this idea. Fear of the tow hitch is the beginning of wisdom for tailgaters crowding up behind your car on the freeway ha ha.

·
Registered
2010 glk350 91 560sec 74 230 66 220seb 86 300e 88 300e
1,020 Posts
Lift up the spare tire cover and check for frame damage also move seat back all the way forward and backward to make sure it is still straight. euro bumpers bolt to the frame not a shock:frown

Just remember the car means nothing if you can sit in it comfortably and drive.
get yourself checked out. I thought a sore back after an accident would be fine but it still will bother me 15 years after the accident now and then

Good luck hope it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mike - very glad to hear you came through OK. What can I do to help with the car (Vegas Pic-a-part??)?

On the non-car side, I was volunteered to be in a 4-car accident up in San Fran, which totaled my pristine (of course it was) '82 300D. Jim Baubel pointed out that a part of the settlement will be a multiplier (not a percentage) of the medical bills, and he was right. Go get yourself extremely well checked out!!! I did a series of chiropractor visits (again, at Jim's insistence) which not only helped me, but helped the bottom line.

Get well, buddy!
Thanks Mike.

Yes, Jim was correct about the Multiplier, it is usually trebled damages, that is to say triple whatever the doctor or chiropractor charges, with one third going to the Doctor/Chiropractor, one third to the lawyer and one third to me. But the problem is that most chiro's only charge 40-50 an hour and I make far more than that, so if that's what I would end up getting paid, then it's going to cost me money to get "better". If I was making 10-25 an hour, then yeah, that's a payday. But I've got a killer job making some real coin and I have a heavy work load and a LONG commute everyday, and I don't want to be gone during the day away from work, and I'm sure that the soreness will subside in a day or two.

Also, I have a real problem with lying about my "Injuries". I don't like it when people falsely inflate their injuries to get money from "The system" and I truly believe if more people were honest in the first place, our insurance rates would be lower. I also pride myself on my honesty, and the main reason cited to me by the Director of HR the day they hired me was the fact that I disclosed EVERYTHING about my past. We all have warts, and I was honest about mine. My ex-wife did some shady shit and I admitted it on my apps. The HR Director said that I was the 22nd candidate that they had interviewed for this position, and that the 21 before ALL had lied or grossly inflated something on their resume, and/or they had, after the LiveScan, found out some criminal activity that they had not disclosed.

In the hiring conversation, he made it a point to thank me for that brutal honesty, and that was why I got this job. I am working for a very prestigious private school, and most of our students are from "A" list celebs or studio moguls, so they are extra careful about who they hire here. Security is very tight and all of our guards are usually off duty LAPD or LASD officers, and the first time I was allowed on campus, I had to show and scan my license and have a picture badge worn.

So it's not worth my time for a few extra thousand bucks. I don't drop dollars to pick up dimes. I'll just be happy if they fix my car.

As for her, (The girl that hit me) I know for a fact that she was looking down at something, probably her phone and either texting or something. My phone was in the ashtray and I was listening to music, trying to get to my event, which was a sales presentation, and then they screened us Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which was fabulous! I highly recommend it. The Director came on and asked us not to reveal anything about the movie, but I can tell you it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and the chick playing Wonder Woman was hot as fuck!

Well that's my .02.

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lift up the spare tire cover and check for frame damage also move seat back all the way forward and backward to make sure it is still straight. euro bumpers bolt to the frame not a shock:frown

Just remember the car means nothing if you can sit in it comfortably and drive.
get yourself checked out. I thought a sore back after an accident would be fine but it still will bother me 15 years after the accident now and then

Good luck hope it works out for you.
Hi and thanks for the advice! Having installed these myself, i do know how they mount, and this weekend I will tear down the car and see what's up. I was doing to start driving the SEL and take down the coupe for some scheduled maintenance anyway, so now is a good time to do that too. I have to replace the Tranny. I am having a custom one built to handle the increased HP, as the clutches are slipping in the original one, and with 230K on the clock, it's time.

I'm also going to redo all of the chrome on the car too. Prolly do a blackout scheme, which is what I've been wanting for some years now anyways.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.