Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 ML550
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new ML key at Foreign Motors in Natick. The parts guy threw me the key and said I was all set. When I got home and tried the key, it started the car but the remote function would not work. Called the dealer and they said "oh it has to be programmed". WHY DIDN"T THEY PROGRAM THE DAMN THING BEFORE I PICKED IT UP!!!!!!!! Now i need to call again and go back to get programmed. They better not think of charging me........

So frustrated with this dealer, but they are around the corner from me. Think they could get a key replacement right!!!!!!!????????

Stewart

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
Stew, the dealer can't program the key without inserting them to your ML, then they will hook the lap top to program the key.[:(][:)]

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,018 Posts
Stew, the dealer can't program the key without inserting them to your ML, then they will hook the lap top to program the key.
A key can be ordered from MBZ that will come “pre-programmed� for the vehicle’s Drive Authorization System, so it would not be necessary to have the vehicle in order to get a key that starts the engine. However, the remote lock/unlock function does in fact have to be programmed on the vehicle itself. The good news is that it does not have to be done by the dealer – it can be done by the user.

For ML’s built after October 1997, insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to position 2 (but don’t start the engine), then back to position 1. Remove the key from the ignition switch. Immediately (within 60 seconds) press and hold the fob’s LOCK button, and while holding it, press and release the fob’s UNLOCK button five consecutive times. Release the LOCK button, then press and release any button on the fob to activate.

If you have a build prior to November 1997, then do the same thing, except while holding the LOCK button, press the fob’s TRUNK button and hold them both for 15 seconds, then release, then press and release any button on the fob TWICE to activate.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Awesome Explanation!

rudeney - 4/20/2005 4:45 PM

Stew, the dealer can't program the key without inserting them to your ML, then they will hook the lap top to program the key.
A key can be ordered from MBZ that will come “pre-programmed� for the vehicle’s Drive Authorization System, so it would not be necessary to have the vehicle in order to get a key that starts the engine. However, the remote lock/unlock function does in fact have to be programmed on the vehicle itself. The good news is that it does not have to be done by the dealer – it can be done by the user.

For ML’s built after October 1997, insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to position 2 (but don’t start the engine), then back to position 1. Remove the key from the ignition switch. Immediately (within 60 seconds) press and hold the fob’s LOCK button, and while holding it, press and release the fob’s UNLOCK button five consecutive times. Release the LOCK button, then press and release any button on the fob to activate.

If you have a build prior to November 1997, then do the same thing, except while holding the LOCK button, press the fob’s TRUNK button and hold them both for 15 seconds, then release, then press and release any button on the fob TWICE to activate.

- RODNEY
My remote function actually stopped working--it had somehow been deactivated. I assumed it was the battery but I watched the SA insert the key and then remove it and apparently did the routine you mentioned and it was all back to normal. He had no explanation for why the key and the car were not on the same wavelength all of a sudden. Been fine ever since.

Side note: Although the Ratso's of the Benzworld are no longer around and we don't have mods of the month, et al. Rodney--you get my award for some of the top posts on this message board. I have no reason to ass kiss--I just think you provide very valuable information. Keep it coming and thanks!!

·
20,018 Posts
RE: Awesome Explanation!

Side note: Although the Ratso's of the Benzworld are no longer around and we don't have mods of the month, et al. Rodney--you get my award for some of the top posts on this message board. I have no reason to ass kiss--I just think you provide very valuable information. Keep it coming and thanks!!
Thanks! And certainly, if I ever post anything that’s incorrect, please, somebody let me know.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2009 ML550
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rodney, it did not work??

Tried a few times. Any other ideas???

Thanks,
Stewart

·
20,018 Posts
RE: Rodney, it did not work??

I would try the battery, and if that fails, it may be a defective RCL transmitter.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2009 ML550
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer programmed key, finally....

Tried Rodney's fix, but to no avail. Took it to the dealer expecting to "make an appt" and be charged, but Foreign Motors came thru and took care of it on the spot and at no fee. The SA was great, hope to run into him again....

Stewart

·
20,018 Posts
RE: Dealer programmed key, finally....

So what did they do to fix it? Replace it? Or were they able to program it to work somehow?

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2009 ML550
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer Magic Dust

They were very busy but fit me in right away. They took the truck into the service bay and had it back in 5 minutes. Said they had to hook it to the laptop. They asked me if I tried the method you suggested and I said yes.

Anyway it works !!

Thanks,
Stewart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts