Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not surprised. Looks like the E55's vary quite a bit from car to car. Some are as fast as 4.8, others 5.8. A newer Cobra should smoke the E55 if driven exceptionally well. I just didnt like the E's handling and trac/invasion system.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Got nailed by a Ford Mustang Cobra SVT

I just had to respond to this post. Iam far from an expert on anything, but I have owned 3 mustangs, and Iam an avid drag racer, as well I will be taking delivery of a 2000 E55 on Friday of this week. I have extensive experience with drag racing late model Mustangs, and I can tell you that you should have walked all over the SVT Cobra no matter what year it was made, if and only if it was unmodified. Even with most of the bolt-on aftermarket accessories, he should have been an easy win. But if he was packing a supercharger, an SVT cobra can blow the doors off of any 'stock' car made, Vipers included. So dont feel bad. I will have some more concrete quarter mile data and figures to give the board once I take delivery of the E55 and get some good track time in.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

There was no problem with traction. 0-100 mph and he was going away. Not sure if the SVT was modified. I have not grown comfortable with the E55's potential. Is the car still too tight? Was the adaptive transmission not ready for such driving? I am starting to wonder if I still had my '91 M5, would the outcome have been different.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Re: Got nailed by a Ford Mustang Cobra SVT

If you are comparing the acceleration of your 91 M5 to your E55, maybe your E55 is defective. A 1991 M5 is in no way even comparable to your E55 as far a acceleration is considered. Your old m5 probably ran low to mid 14's at between 96 and 100 miles an hour. The Cobra runs similar times, except the 1999 and up Cobras run low 14's to very high 13's between 100 and 102 mph in the 1/4 mile. The E55 has posted times (in the magazines)of around 13.30 at 107mph. Having driven/raced many Cobras, modified and unmodified, I can tell you that the Cobra that beat you was probably supercharged, even with minor bolt on parts, it cant get close to 107 mph in the quarter mile. But keep in mind I have raced supercharged Cobras that ran 11.30's at over 125 mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Guest (MBNZ) - 6/11/2001 10:22 AM

But if he was packing a supercharger, an SVT cobra can blow the doors off of any 'stock' car made, Vipers included.
You do know the 03-04 cobras come stock with a s/c & forged internals right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts