1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my '02 E55 on Saturday. It's awesome.<br>
Check it out if you like http://www.golding.com/e55<br>
<br>
I have a problem though... when I'm in D and gradually accelerate usually under a little load up a hill there is a weird rattle in the trunk area when the exhaust hits that sweet note. I've pulled the tools, jack and even put some furniture defender pads behind the plastic part that holds the jack where it touches the pan. It got better but it's still there. Any ideas other than turning on the radio? Could it be the rear deck lid, CD changer?? Any help would be great.<br>
<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dame nice looking automobile. Re the rattle, I recommend you save yourself a lot of aggrevation and take it to the dealer. I tried to find an dash rattle once, and ended up pulling all sorts of interior panels out, back of the glove box, etc. Still couldn't find the source of the sound. Finally gave up and took my car to the dealer. Turned out the noise was coming from the sunroof. We hadn't pulled fifty feet from the store before the shop manager reached up and put his hand on the exact source directly over his head. He then slipped a styroform wedge into place, and that was the end of it. Thirty seconds, tops. I'd wasted two hours screwing around with the dash, and I wasn't even close. Acoustics are weird. Give the techs who work with this stuff all the time a crack at finding your rattle first before you go nuts.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call. It seemed like I had it licked. Anyway, no loss of time... at this point there is no loss of time working/touching this car. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on the new ride...I had to chuckle when I saw your pix since that is the exact set-up that I have down to the baby seat in the right rear seat!<br> <br> Enjoy and hope you find the source of the rattle.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey cool car, I have the same set up too!! Are you going to follow the break-in requirements or just blast away? I have driven mine agressively since day one and truly think its faster now than when I first go it. Any mods in the near future?? <br>
<br>
In the regards to the rattle I agree with the others- you spent too much money to try to fix it yourself- have the dealer fix the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
E55s with baby seats

LOL. Did ALL of our wives tell us 'you can get a new car, but it has to be something practical?'

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats Jason ... and mbmb: you bet they did ...

... tell us we should get something practical. <br> <br> And what could be more practical than a 4-Door, with Eight Airbags AND a baby-seat anchor to boot!<br> <br> Jason/MosE55 (and those with baby-seats in the back of their Beasts like me): I have a 5-month old, and was concerned about placing the seat on either side of the center because of the 'side-airbags'. As a result, I have been putting my son's seat in the center, facing the rear. Any thoughts?<br> <br> Vic: I gave my Beast up to 800 miles to break-in ... until I opened her up with that first M5 encounter. Even though I haven't babied her like you have yours, I noticed an appreciable increase in speed around 4K miles. My Beast felt quicker and comforatably looser.<br> <br> Anyway, Jason Congrats! and Welcome to the Club!<br> <br> Drew<br> '01 E55 AMG<br> Brilliant Silver/Charcoal

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Congrats Jason ... and mbmb: you bet they did ...

Interesting you guys call it the beast too... I say this because I am a BMW guy by trade. I was Extremely close to buying an M5 but bought the E55 instead. The bmwm5 board calls the M 'the beast' too. We just got an '01 E320 wagon slv/charcoal about 6 months ago and are really happy with both cars. Our first mercs.<br> <br> I'm taking it to the dealer. I live in Marin (would NOT buy it from RAB) and don't like driving to San Jose. SF merc any good?? Any recs?? <br> <br> No major mods planned, at least not yet... probably a free air 10' and amp to give it a bit more on the sonic side. Have been pretty easy. Mostly 1/2 and 3/4 throttle NO kickdown or full and only moderate to easy going through the gears. mostly D though. <br> <br> Who needs a sub though. I don't think I've turned on the radio yet... Just listening to the exhaust :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Congrats Jason ... and mbmb: you bet they did ...

I would put the infant seat in the center but I spoke with my dealer and he said it's OK for a toddler (mine is 2 yo) to sit in the outboard seat...there is still alot of clearance between the edge of the seat and the door so I am thinking it shouldn't be a problem. Plus the car seat design has solid side bolsters around the thigh and head to protect against the side bag explosion when it activates. <br> <br> I am expecting a newborn in a couple of months and need to put it on the other outboard seat since it won't fit in the middle with the other car seat on the outboard position. I may have to get the dealer to deactivate that side bag just to be on the safe side...infants are too fragile to sit so close to an explosive charge!<br> <br> I had to sell my Porsche 930 after kid number one came so there was no other 'option' for me except to get the E55 (hey, it's kinda hard to give up the acceleration rush...my kid likes it too since he yells 'wheee' every time I punch the throttle...I guess he is my kid afterall...<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too funny about the radio.....

Hey Jason, I was the same way when I first got mine 1 year ago. I just love to hear the beast growl. But, like with all my cars I get fed-up with the factory systems so I swapped all the speakers out and added two 10 inch JL subs with JL amps. Truly a difference and its not no cheesy boom and tinkle system- its very clean and I even added tweeters in the rear pillars to complete the sound. You can check the pic out here in the gallery (W210) under Vic55. Congrats again on a fine a$$ ride.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baby seat

We moved our seats in the cars to the outboard location when we turned it forward... I think the recommedation is like 15 to 20 pounds and nearly 1 year old. Yes, I've read that the side bags won't hit or hurt the 'second stage' and higher seats. I should actually help give the cushion to the side bolsters on the chair. Hi-Larious!! We're car guys talking about baby seats...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Baby seat

<br> I year ya Jason: we buy these high-priced high-performance cars ... and we end up talking about baby seats. Next, we'll probably discuss 'what color clothing goes best with our charcoal interiors'!!!<br> <br> But with the child-seats ... its just a fact of life, and one that we shouldn't (and aren't) take lightly. <br> <br> My 5-month old IS 20 lbs., and has just about overgrown his infant car-seat, so we're shopping for a replacement. You (and I think MosE55)mentioned that up to 20 lbs. and one year old, was the minimum requirement to go with the front-facing, outboard-placed child seat. I've been getting conflicting information: some say stay 'rear facing and in the middle' for as long as you can' ... and others say 'as long as the seat is approved for the purpose and utility ... go with that'. We have a pediatrician appointment (6-Month checkup) next week, so I'll get a opinion from the Doc. too.<br> <br> Maybe we should start a new thread to discuss this issue. We can call it: 'Beast & the Baby' !!!<br> <br> So Vic ... you keep up your 'partying ways' ... you might find yourself having to ask what you should do witha baby seat too !!! (BTW: any juicy single-guy stories from this weekend? I love living vicariously through you!!!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Baby seat

Hey, I laugh but figure the baby thing is the reason many of us end up with the E55...I know otherwise I'd be riding around in a 911 twin turbo!<br> <br> Drew, check out Britax Roundabout seat...good for infant to 40lbs and can be mounted back or front facing. If your kid is only 5 months, keep him back facing since it is usually the development of the neck and shoulder muscles that determines when you switch to forward facing car seats.<br> <br> OK, now I am seriously going OT...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL!

<br> The Britax is first on our list. It's funny ... got lots of advice while 'we' were pregnant about almost everything ... except how much this whole 'baby' deal would cost!<br> <br> I'm finding myself riding around town looking at C-Class's going 'I could deal with that if I had to' (in contemplation of the Bankruptcy proceedings this child is driving me to).<br> <br> Tough call if it came to it: The Beast vs. The Baby? (probably could get a heck of a lot of more money for the Baby than the Beast ... if it didn't look so much like me though!).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...except how much this whole 'baby' deal would cost!

If your thinking about bankruptcy now, just wait until your child is old enough to absorb all the commercials on PBS, Nickelodeon and Disney!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: LOL!

The latest estimate is that the little rug rat will cost around $200K by the time you give him the boot after high school...then of course you will probably continue to fund the college education for another cool $200-225K (by then)...lets just say it is an even half million bucks. The way I look at it, the opportunity cost for having a kid is a Ferrari Maranello, an E55, a G500 and a Subaru WRX. Pretty sobering, huh?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2001 E55. Had a rattle when you would hit small bumps in the pavement or shut the door. Try this. Take all of the things (except CD Chankger out of trunk and see if it still makes noise. If so it might be the headliner, yes the headliner in the area beind the hole for the moonroof is made in some weird fashion. The test- with trunk empty if noise persist have passenger press headliner to top of car to see if noise persist. If it still does it then it may be the rear shade loose in the area behind the seat. Good luck. I have been through two shades (this one is still wacked) but the noise in my car was the roof/ headliner thing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fixed it

Thanks for the reply... I didn't get the cell phone option (use nextel) and the coax style cable that connects to the phone unit wasn't zipped down in the wiring loom. The metal female connector was resting against the inside of the rear quarter panel and was rattling metal to metal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts