Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1105 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
My shout out here is really to thank Paul for all his help. I had many computer issues and he stayed with me working things out. Today was my first connect day on a C-3 and while I have a bunch of modules I can’t read its not software I am positive on what is starting to work. I have some rooftop issues and have tried to diagnose it by testing the controller but believe this will be much easier. At any rate Paul and the rest of you are wonderful and without this forum many of these cars would be in the boneyard simply because some glitch in a controller stopped them from running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,

I am going to buy a C3 to work on a W211 E55. I really need it to have developer mode enabled, does any one know what software version I should go for?

I heard some newer C3 software versions won't work with the E55 or perhaps it's the developer mode on those newer software versions won't work on the W211 E55?

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When working on my W164 I had to get 2012 software as the latest I could get with offline programming and developer mode. I have 2016 as well on another hard drive, I’m using d630 with C4

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey guys,

I am going to buy a C3 to work on a W211 E55. I really need it to have developer mode enabled, does any one know what software version I should go for?

I heard some newer C3 software versions won't work with the E55 or perhaps it's the developer mode on those newer software versions won't work on the W211 E55?

Thanks.
I just lately helped 2 fellow benzworlders setting up there C3 both had missing connections in the cables, this resulted in the unability to connect to several control units.
Not sure how old your W211 is but if it still has the big round ODB adapter under the hood I would go with a C4.
If its ODB2 only you should be fine. As software I use 09-2016 and it works great.
Paul

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I just lately helped 2 fellow benzworlders setting up there C3 both had missing connections in the cables, this resulted in the unability to connect to several control units.
Not sure how old your W211 is but if it still has the big round ODB adapter under the hood I would go with a C4.
If its ODB2 only you should be fine. As software I use 09-2016 and it works great.
Paul
Paul600600,
Could you explain further on what specific connections were missing? Did this involve missing wires between the connector and the mux, un-hooked up wires, or what? What modules couldn't be tested?
Thanks.
Jon

·
Registered
379 Posts
Paul600600,
Could you explain further on what specific connections were missing? Did this involve missing wires between the connector and the mux, un-hooked up wires, or what? What modules couldn't be tested?
Thanks.
Jon
this involved cable from mux to vehicle scroll down in this post page4
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Paul, bobterry99, I am one of the ones that could not read a lot of the systems with my C3. Today I decided to test continuity between the pins on the cable. After getting about 10 pins with no continuity I decided to take one end apart to see where things were at. I fully expected to see 38 or so wires. Well I only have 16 wires so no wonder things were not working�� But my question to you can I get by with the 16 wires for a 99 sl? If so do I follow bobterrys pinout? Is there a vendor that sells good cables which would be easier to correct. If I can use my existing cable I am lucky since they did not solder the ends. They are a slide on crimp fit. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
When working on my W164 I had to get 2012 software as the latest I could get with offline programming and developer mode. I have 2016 as well on another hard drive, I’m using d630 with C4
Paul
Thanks guys. I think I will go with a C3 because I have heard a C4 won't offer much else in the case of a W211. It will connect by OBD2, hopefully it should be fine.

So Paul you use 09-2016 with the C3 and it has the developer function or is that with a C4?

·
7,939 Posts
Guys,

I'm venturing in left-field on my own again as always do with the tranny work I do...

Can I do this by directly connecting a 722.9 conductor plate to MB Star?

Can I just get a OBD port from a junk late model MB car, and wire my five-wire 722.9 conductor plate to the OBD port

722.9 Pin-out -------------------------------OBD Pin-out

1-CAN-High----------------------------------6-CAN-High
2-CAN-Low-----------------------------------14-CAN-Low
3-Diagnostic----------------------------------11-Gearbox??
4- +12v it looks like--------------------------16- +12v feed from a power supply
5-GND it is what it looks like-----------------4 & 5 GND

Is that possible? Or is there a intermediate module that OBD Port talks to?

722.9 is page 5 of this link

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/skin/frontend/default/atsg/corrections/2011 blue 722-9.pdf

ODB port

Mercedes OBD II diagnostic connector pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com

I'm itching to try this as I think the youtube-The box is just a break-out box... I just do not want to blow-up my MB tester...

Thanks,

Martin

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,105 Posts
But my question to you can I get by with the 16 wires for a 99 sl?
A '99 SL500 lacking the rare ADS option needs just 12 wires, so you have 4 more than you need for your vehicle. If all 12 you need are not wired, then making changes is easy, as you apparently have already observed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Can I just get a OBD port from a junk late model MB car, and wire my five-wire 722.9 conductor plate to the OBD port
Martin,
You should have cable with banana type connectors on the end, so you don't have to build a adapter.
I don't think you could damage your mux as long as you hook up the power correctly.
Keep in mind if you use a new or used conductor plate to replace yours you need SCN coding to make it work.

·
7,939 Posts
Martin,
You should have cable with banana type connectors on the end, so you don't have to build a adapter.
I don't think you could damage your mux as long as you hook up the power correctly.
Keep in mind if you use a new or used conductor plate to replace yours you need SCN coding to make it work.
Thank you for your reply. I will verify Power and Ground.

Yes, I'm aware of the SCN coding

Martin

·
7,939 Posts
So it looks likes like pin 3, or the diagnostic pin is not connected, so the communication is only done by CAN-High and CAN-Low. Power and Ground are correct.

Martin

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,212 Posts
Guys,

I'm venturing in left-field on my own again as always do with the tranny work I do...

Can I do this by directly connecting a 722.9 conductor plate to MB Star?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jt6Mxok7kU

722.9 Pin-out -------------------------------OBD Pin-out

1-CAN-High----------------------------------6-CAN-High
2-CAN-Low-----------------------------------14-CAN-Low
3-Diagnostic----------------------------------11-Gearbox??
4- +12v it looks like--------------------------16- +12v feed from a power supply
5-GND it is what it looks like-----------------4 & 5 GND

Is that possible? Or is there a intermediate module that OBD Port talks to?

722.9 is page 5 of this link

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/skin/frontend/default/atsg/corrections/2011 blue 722-9.pdf

ODB port

Mercedes OBD II diagnostic connector pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com

I'm itching to try this as I think the youtube-The box is just a break-out box... I just do not want to blow-up my MB tester...

Thanks,

Martin
Should've asked me. Yes you can connect direct.

https://www.mk3.com/mercedes-benz-gear-box-ism-dsm-renew-cable-for-vvdi-mb

I use this, some cars you need to virgin on bench, others you can virgin in car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello paul i have cloned my hdd icom and is not possible to use can you help me please thanks you if you have mail or skype or watts app i can send you picture :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I think this is the correct post to add this to. I ordered a C3 analyzer a while ago and thanks to Paul, we worked out most of the software/computer issues but it never really worked since it would not read many of the sections. I have a 99 sl so was mostly interested in the RST function. Well at any rate I took the cable apart at both ends and at the soldered ends I found a couple not soldered and many not done according to the many posts here, especially those from Ear, bobterry and Paul. So I decided to begin anew and unsoldered all the connections on the MUX end, and pulled the pins on the car side. I should say there were also jumpers on some of the pins on the MUX side and I did away with those. Anyway I meticulously went back and resolders all the wires (16) according to the lists provided. Now I the system won't read anything and I get an error saying the cable is not recognized. So its it possible the inside of the MUX was wired differently than what we post? If so how do I correct this? Has someone resoldered the cable like I did, or better yet can someone take a picture of the MUX end of the cable with the cover off so I can see exactly where the wires are soldered? I am not against buying a new cable but I could get the same deal, that is one that won't work

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I picked up a C3 system a few months ago after some deliberation and after reading this entire thread. It has paid for itself twice over in the last month with SRS and Soft Top diagnosis as well as CEL's investigations. The one thing that bothered me was the fact that I couldn't clone the hard drive..

Well after some testing with a few products here or there I did find that Clonezilla will copy a working system without needing to update keys or any tricks. I was able to do this by using the disk to disk copy feature and also to a larger disk drive, however the partitioning is still the same. At some point I'll repartition the disk to give me more space but right now I don;t need it.

So for those of you needing a decent backup of your original hard disks give it a try. I did mine for an old Dell 630 using a usb connection to an external and swapped it in to the internal afterwards to keep my original as a source for future copies.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,105 Posts
I should say there were also jumpers on some of the pins on the MUX side and I did away with those.
I presume that was a mistake, since you now have communication with no controllers.

I also presume there was nothing wrong with the original wiring of the cable, and the issue was that 2 or 3 needed connections were lacking. A fix would have been to simply move 2 or 3 wires from connections that you did not need to the ones you did need.

901 - 920 of 1105 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
164 Participants
ceta4zng
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing