Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
'95 SL500, '99 ML320, '08 ML550 4MATIC w/Sport & Lighting Pkg, '12 ML350 4MATIC w/P2 Pkg & Pano Roof
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Forum Members:

DHL Couriers arrived at the door this morning with the MB STAR C4 Diagnostic package.

The great news is that the cost of import duties, CDN sales taxes, and handling fees by DHL were only a total of $28.15 USD. I was expecting a lot more. :smile

Everything was extremely well packaged by the seller.

The first thing I immediately noticed was the high quality of the cables... very thick and heavy-duty. The connectors were also of very high quality.

I inserted the HDD (hard disk drive), with the pre-loaded MB STAR software, into the DELL D630. It booted up into Windows XP flawlessly.

One thing I found was that the MUX needs to be connected to the DELL D630, otherwise the laptop gets a window pop-up and warning message that the "Connection Has Failed". So, when you are doing simulation DAS exercises on the laptop, or simply cruising through EPC, STAR Finder, etc., you should still have the MUX connected

There are lots of software programs that are included with this baby:

1) DAS Simulator
2) Xentry Simulator
3) STAR Utilities
4) WIS
5) EPC
6) Key Dongle
7) SD Media
(applicable for SL R230's and later, plus all other late model vehicles. Provides videos and PDF files on repairs, and How To's)
8) Team Viewer
9) XENTRY AKT
10) DAS-offline Tools
11) Support Tool
12) STAR Finder 2009
(locates all the parts of your vehicle and gives a picture of it, too. Includes R129)
13) DAS
14) Xentry

I have included a few pics of the cables, MUX, etc., plus a few screen shots of SD Media, and STAR Finder (from internet pics) to give you a very minor sampling.

This MB STAR C4 system is AWESOME!

Oh, and last point..... there are no AAA batteries required for this C4 version of the MUX..... it's powered from the vehicle's 38-pin or 16-pin OBDII socket. :grin

That's it for now.... I need to delve into this system further.

God Bless, Arctic

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Nice ! After you get the bugs worked out, I see one of those bad boys in my future !

·
Registered
1998 SL500, silver/gray, 48K
289 Posts
Given the success others are having I'll likely snag one myself. Leaning towards the full package including new laptop.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,728 Posts
HHT-WIN is a bit clunky though, have you tried it yet Arctic?

·
Registered
'95 SL500, '99 ML320, '08 ML550 4MATIC w/Sport & Lighting Pkg, '12 ML350 4MATIC w/P2 Pkg & Pano Roof
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HHT-WIN is a bit clunky though, have you tried it yet Arctic?
James:

Now that the MB STAR C4 has arrived safely, and is up and running, I had to email the supplier the Hardware I.D., and they will be sending me back the specific "Key" with instructions on how to activate DAS and Xentry.

Should have this in the next 24 hours.

I'm blown away by the depth of the other programs, and the strength of what this system can do. It's incredible what Mercedes-Benz packed into their Star Diagnostic System.

One thing I did learn by "surfing" within the C4's realm, is that the MUX needs to be attached to the laptop (but not necessarily to a vehicle) at all times, even when using simulation programs, etc., otherwise a "Pop-up Window" and Warning Message appears on the laptop screen advising that the "Connection Failed". When the Warning appears, the only way to remove it from the screen is to reboot the Program.

I feel like I'm back at university, and taking my Engineering courses all over again. This is such a blast!

It will be wonderful to service the SL500, ML320, and the ML350 with this C4 system.

Once I get the program activated, I'll try out the HHT on the SL500 and see how it performs, and post my experience for you.

God Bless, Arctic

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,292 Posts
Yes HHT is clunky, but it's the older system. Still reliable though, and does what it can.

DAS comes with a HHT simulator, and you should be able to use that assuming the seller did their homework and HTT activates properly and gives no error codes.

Also, be very careful with developer mode.....and learn German....it helps a lot.

·
2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Previously 2002 CLK320, 1995 C220, 1980 300SD TurboDiesel)
2,670 Posts
How much did this cost?

Someone has to figure out a way to emulate this, I'm sure it's not hard.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,292 Posts
How much did this cost?

Someone has to figure out a way to emulate this, I'm sure it's not hard.
Emulator already exist...you can actually run everything in vmare. The issue is the hardware itself....It's so complex that to even think about emulating it you need a computer with the processing power of a cluster.

This isn't the BMW gt1/dis/inpa where everything (including the expensive OPP and ICOM) is emulated and you only need a $20 cable to actually plug in the car.

·
Registered
GL320
1 Posts
Where did you buy it at?

Where did you buy it at and for how much approx. if you don't mind sharing please? I am shopping one for my self.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you buy it at and for how much approx. if you don't mind sharing please? I am shopping one for my self.
From my research, there are about five competent Sellers of this equipment, all from China.

Here is the Seller I selected:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Cost-Effective-Mb-Star-C4-for-both-Cars-and-Trucks-with-Xentry-2014-01-Version/1783909054.html

Cost was $350 USD and FREE shipping via DHL Courier Services.

Any import duties and sales taxes are to your account.

The Seller also incorporates "Team Viewer" software on the HDD that they ship to you, so if there are any problems, they lock into your laptop and can make whatever changes/fixes necessary to correct the situation via the internet..... all for free.

Aliexpress (Alibaba) holds your payment in escrow from all Sellers until you recieve the item and are satisfied that it works as advertised... better than eBay's policy for Buyers.

Hope this is of help.

God Bless, Arctic

·
Registered
2005 SL500 ; 2007 S550
11 Posts
Hey im new to the forum, I found your thread! I am interested as well, if I understand correctly, you buy a refurb DELL D630 then pop in the hard drive that comes with the kit? How do you know which cable goes for which model benz?

Lastly, is the DELL D630 an important model due to it having a COM1 port onboard or something?

Thx!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey im new to the forum, I found your thread! I am interested as well, if I understand correctly, you buy a refurb DELL D630 then pop in the hard drive that comes with the kit? How do you know which cable goes for which model benz?

Lastly, is the DELL D630 an important model due to it having a COM1 port onboard or something?

Thx!
Snoopy:

The STAR C4 comes with all the necessary cables & socket adapters to hook up to every MB made, both cars and trucks, diesel & gas engines.

Yes, the HDD that is pre-loaded with the software by the Seller, is inserted into the DELL D630.

For the "Compact C4", it doesn't use WiFi, and requires a dedicated RS-232 COM port.

The DELL D630 is the fastest laptop with the RS232 feature. You can readily get a good, used DELL D630 for well under $100 USD.

MAKE SURE you get a DELL D630 with at least 2.0 GHz Duo CPU, and a minimum of 2 GB Memory.... max is 4 GB Memory.

I'm running with 2.2 GHz CPU and 3 GB RAM..... works flawlessly with STAR C4.

Hope this helps.

God Bless, Arctic

·
Registered
2005 SL500 ; 2007 S550
11 Posts
Hey Arctic - thx for the quik informative answer!~

I downloaded an 8gb ISO image called mercedesxentry0512 and was geeking out hardcore ripping out my GFs laptop hard drive and popping in an old one from a pile and installing XP on it lol . .halfway through im like . . "wait . .even if i get it to run . . how the hell am i going to plug it into the car lol"?

Then i googled a few mins and found this fresh thread! yayyy!

now im geeking out on craigslist for Dell 630s / / spamming all over town haha . . . my cars are OBD, im OCD lolol

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Arctic - thx for the quik informative answer!~

I downloaded an 8gb ISO image called mercedesxentry0512 and was geeking out hardcore ripping out my GFs laptop hard drive and popping in an old one from a pile and installing XP on it lol . .halfway through im like . . "wait . .even if i get it to run . . how the hell am i going to plug it into the car lol"?

Then i googled a few mins and found this fresh thread! yayyy!

now im geeking out on craigslist for Dell 630s / / spamming all over town haha . . . my cars are OBD, im OCD lolol
Snoopy:

Welcome to BenzWorld Forum.

Please fill out your Avatar, with your geographic location, model and year of your MB Vehicle(s), and post some pics.

Doing so will help other Forum Members to better understand your specifics, and to allow their recommendations to be more informed.

BTW, most of the R129 Gang are OCD, too, Welcome to the Club. :wink

God Bless, Arctic

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
HMMMMM,

Big thoughts....

Ever since I remember.

I like women more then cars, or anything ells.

Do you classify this under OCD?

Regards,
aam.

1 - 20 of 1142 Posts