Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes-Benz E 430 - Brilliant Silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I was on here awhile back and gratefully received help from Rob (OhLord) concerning my ac issue, though I cannot remember what he thought the problem may be!
My EC button has been stuck on for about a year. After looking through some of the threads on here, I found one that said to go through the process of getting the error codes, then hold the 'auto' buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. I did this, pushed the EC button and it turned off!
Well, now, I do know that the error codes I have seem to be related to my refrigerant level being low. Rob put a whole can in about a year ago but the air still blew warm.
I would like to get this issue fixed before summer time and rely on financial aid to do so which is only disbursed twice a year so I would like to get some sort of idea of what needs to be done, cost, etc. so I can plan for it.
The following are the codes I got:

1 - 66
2 - 53
3 - 100
4 - 98
5 - 55
6 - 107
7 - 03
8 - 60

Eb1 234
Eb1 241 (I think this is right...the left side of my display does not work)
FF

Thank you all in advance for any advise or direction you can give me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just ran through all those numbers again with the EC off and the new numbers are so crazy compared to the others that I quit writing them down after #5. Here they are:

1 - 71
2 - 136 (isn't that outside temp??)
3 - 08
4 - 85
5 - 164

Error code - FF

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,734 Posts
Somebody pleeeeeese help me here. I am loosing it:crybaby2:

Mercedes financial aid, financial aid mercedes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering my finances are none of your affair, I am a bit humored that you would waste the time and effort to type out that magnificent display:D. God bless you:):)

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Considering my finances are none of your affair, I am a bit humored that you would waste the time and effort to type out that magnificent display:D. God bless you:):)
Think of what you said---------first, it took a year to turn off your EC light, second, you went to a Mamie yocum repair guy and without testing put in a can of 134a that did not help, third at some point in time you learn to get the actual values, fourth you try again and quit in disgust because the inexperienced you doesn't trust the data, fifth you have the balls to then ask for help with producing a corrective plan and budget, with financial stipulations------------I think that your approach needs to start over

Redo the actual value and fault test and post that data. I am sure you will get comments. Have a good holiday season.

·
Registered
1999 S500 W220
156 Posts
The numbers you provide do not make sense.
Codes are as follows
1. Inside temp.
2. Outside temp (front of car usually)
3. Left heat exch temp
4. Right heat exch temp
5. evaporator temp
6 coolant temp
7 refrig pressure
8 refrig temp.

You need to be more specific with test process. It is not clear if car was at operating temp in first figures as the tempeartures are low. In second set of numbers the temps are high which indicate at operating temperature. Either way the heat exch temp is not consistent. Please do tests again within a short period with compressor on and and compressor off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plutoe, the "Mamie Yocum Repair Guy" you refer to is actually one of this board's most knowledgeable and respectable members. Your unfamiliarity of his name makes me wonder if he has been absent for awhile.
Since you insist on carrying on with with nonsensical matters which, again, are nobody's business, I will humor you and the other guy with a more elaborate explanation: I live in the SEATTLE area which means I do not have a NEED for an air conditioner; therefore, fixing mine has not been at the top of my to-do-list.
I used the board's past threads yesterday to fix several minor issues including getting the EC button off. It took me a year to get it off because I did not bother looking for a way on the board to get it off before.
Peterstar, thank you for your response. The car had been running for 3 minutes before each test was done. The only difference between the two was the EC being on in the first and off in the second.
I looked at my thread from over a year ago where a couple of the senior members gave their input (Oh Lord being one of them) and I see what was suggested, though I am not sure if those solutions would still apply since the refrigerant had not been put in at that time. My only guess is there is a leak, but even if there was a leak, I would think that the EC light would have turned off temporarily immediately after the refrigerant was put in.
Here is the link to the past thread. The numbers are identical to the numbers I got last night with the EC off. Every single number is the same.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1481859-ec-button-wont-shut-off.html

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
That's my point------Forget about all the previous manusha---------run the actual value test and faults again and post em.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
manusha? how bout "minutiae?"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I stated, they are exactly the same values as were posted in my thread from a year ago which I posted the link to. here they are:

1) 69
2) 136
3) 08
4) 85
5) 164
6) Fluctuated between 13.3 and 13.5
7) 32
8) 00

Error code - FF

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I would start by

My interpretation is that you have a bad evaporator temp sensor.

When that sensor goes, and gives the system obviously spurious data, then the air con will not work.

Check the DIY links at the top of the forum, should be about a $35 part and a 20 min DIY.

My suggestion is after that is replaced, I am not committing to a cure all necessarily, then you can see what your new values are and a very good chance you will be up and running A-OK.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
It's important to get accurate and consistent data.
Here's the procedure copied/pasted from another post:
----------------------------------------------
RETRIEVE DATA:

Turn on ignition (run car)
Put both sides Temp settings at 72
Push and hold “REST” button till you get a 1 in the left side
Push the left “AUTO” button to scroll forward and right auto button to scroll back.
Let the car run 3 minutes before pulling data to ensure more accurate data
For AC diagnosis you only need to be concerned about codes 1 through 8

Code 1 = Inside Temp
Code 2 = Outside Temp
Code 3 = Left Core Temp
Code 4 = Right Core Temp
Code 6 = Coolant Temp
Code 7 = Refrigerant Pressure (This is the important one)
Code 8 = Refrigerant Temp

PULLING FAULT CODES

Switch ignition on
Set left AC/heater temperature control to HI
Set right AC/heater temperature to LO
Depress REST and EC switches simultaneously within 20 seconds of turning ignition on
Hold REST and EC switches for more than 5 seconds
Air recirculation lamp flashes
Depress right AUTO switch repeatedly. Note trouble codes
FF is not a code

What the codes mean:
003 B1226 In-car temperature sensor with blower
005 B1228 Heater output temperature sensor
006 B1229 " " "
007 B1230 AC evaporator temperature sensor
008 B1231 Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
009 B1232 AC refrigerant pressure sensor
010 B1233 AC refrigerant temperature sensor
011 B1234 AC sunlight sensor
012 B1235 Heater intake air purity sensor
013 B1241 AC refrig pressure sensor, AC temp pressure sensor refrigerant level
014 B1416 Engine coolant pump motor
019 B1417 Engine coolant heater regulator valve LH
020 B1418 " " RH
021 B1419 AC compressor clutch
022 B1420 Idle speed increase
023 B1421 Engine coolant blower motor control module
024 B1422 Serial interface K1
025 B1423 AC heater valve block
026 B1424 AC heater air intake filter actuator
027 B1425 " "
029 B1429 Serial interface K2

RESETTING FAULT CODES:

In fault code mode press both “AUTO” switches simultaneously for more than 5 seconds (after last trouble code is displayed)
Once codes are cleared you will see display change to "d and FF"
Switch ignition OFF – All Codes are erased
----------------------------------------------

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fabbrisd1, you are a gem. Thank you for your input. I will replace the evap temp sensor. Worst case scenario, I am out $35 but I will have gained a little experience in the DIY area. Thank you again. Happy holidays

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Mbvis,
I did exactly as you posted. Thank you for reposting the procedure. The explanation of the codes is helpful. Happy holidays

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes-Benz E430
5 Posts
FIXED

Hi everyone,
I haven't been on in a long time and no longer have access to my registered email or password so I had to make a new account.
The air conditioner was fixed down in California for the cheap diagnostic fee of $40! Something simply needed to be bent back in place (sorry, can't remember what it was but it seems I remember it being a part of a fan, or something). They said my car had been in an accident before which bent the piece preventing the AC from working. Simple fix, thankfully.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts