Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D-T (Champagne/Palomino)
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a gold '83 300D Saloon, and wow it was filthy. Upon cleaning it up, however, I was pleasantly suprised to find a really nice car under the years of dirt. The motor is strong, the tranny shifts smooth, and the interior is GREAT, minus the bad springs and a few tears in the driver's seat. The exterior is really nice, no dents, paint is pretty decent and quite shiny for its age, except it seems the trinklid was removed and spraypainted with hardware store gold spraypaint, haha. I haven't found a speck of rust anywhere on vehicle.

I got it for $1500, and it has a nonfunctioning odometer with 302,444. The seller figured it had about 315,000. he was a second owner and had it as his daily driver for 10 years. I'll post pics if anybody's interested, in the meantime, just think OLD and GOLD.

It has a few small issues, a nonfunctioning sunroof- "It used to work great, then one morning, nothing", the seller claimed. The power antenna and rear driver window also do not work. Since the car hadn't been cleaned in awhile, I'm going to clean the switches before I beg for help from this forum.

One question I have out the gate, is there a hidden instrument cluster dimmer switch somewhere in these cars? the two little lights at the top of the cluster function, but they are VERY dim, I can't for the life of me figure it out.

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
dreadpirateross said:
One question I have out the gate, is there a hidden instrument cluster dimmer switch somewhere in these cars? the two little lights at the top of the cluster function, but they are VERY dim, I can't for the life of me figure it out.

There are 2 small black knobs at the lower part of the instrument panel, the one on the right pushes in to reset the trip odometer and the one on the left turns to control the brightness. I might have those confused but I believe that's correct, and the one on the right also pulls out to set the clock I think...... experiment around with them, you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
dude, about the lights. cyber is right about the dimmer. however, i put bulb #168 in mine and its alot better. yeah, i have heard that it will melt the plastic and stuff with this bulb. not totally true. i do not even have a dimmer on mine and they work fine with no sign of melting.

the knob for adjusting the lights is the same one used for adj. the clock.

·
Registered
1983 300D-T (Champagne/Palomino)
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll check that out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts