Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading in Mercedes Momentum magazine last night about cars equipped with ESP (which I believe is EPC in my 1996 SL500), a feature that "regulates braking and engine output to help avoid swerving off the road". To me, this sounds like if I take a turn too fast that the car will slow itself down to avoid me drifting off the road. Anyone had any experience with this?

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
essentially that is correct.

esp = electronic stability programme

my 01 sl 500 has i...

essentially that is correct.

esp = electronic stability programme

my 01 sl 500 has it ... it can be disabled by throwing the rocker panel switch on the dashboard (and an idiot light shaped like a yellow exclamation point ("!") comes on right in the centre of the speedo ... as a reminder that the esp has been disengaged).

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...on my 1996, the switch is for ASR (Automatic Slip Reduction)/traction control, an...

Hmmm...on my 1996, the switch is for ASR (Automatic Slip Reduction)/traction control, and has a corresponding yellow triangle for the ASR being disabled, (which aso lights up if the back end looses traction while the system is engaged), but not for the stability program. You sure your switch and light if for ESP and not slip reduction/traction control? My next thought is that they incorporated both systems into one your newer SL.

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
positive it's esp. in fact ,,, i went on to ebay (just for yucks!) to find a picture of t...

positive it's esp. in fact ,,, i went on to ebay (just for yucks!) to find a picture of the dashboard from 2001 sl500 so you can see the esp switch itself and where it is positioned - then you can compare to your car and see where the similarities are?

here is the link ... the esp rocker panel switch picture is about number ten or so down in the inventory of pictures supplied. please note well - that this car is NOT my car for sale ,,, just an example of a 01 sl500 for purposes of demonstrating the esp!

cheers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2423556535&category=6338

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
(US Spec cars)

On the 1996 SL500, ASR was standard, and ETS was an option. On the 1997...

(US Spec cars)

On the 1996 SL500, ASR was standard, and ETS was an option. On the 1997 SL500, ASR was standard, ESP was an option. I am not sure what year, but I think 1999, ESP became standard equipment.

Check MBUSA.com for more information.

-s-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts