Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 AWD, +127k miles
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, wanted to share this:

I did a front brake job a couple of months ago and while i had the front wheels off, i decided to remove the plastic inner fender shields. This car's history was that it was never garaged and was parked in a driveway under a big tree.

Take a look at the attached before and after pictures of the large amount of leaves etc that had built up inside of the fenders and turned into dirt. I cleaned this out and sprayed under coating on the inside of the fenders to prevent further rusting. If you look closely, you can see the watermarks on the metal body parts!

Btw, i also had to replace the cabin filter which was also full of leaves...
Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 New to me, E320 Wagon
126 Posts
Wow

Hi All, wanted to share this:

I did a front brake job a couple of months ago and while i had the front wheels off, i decided to remove the plastic inner fender shields. This car's history was that it was never garaged and was parked in a driveway under a big tree.

Take a look at the attached before and after pictures of the large amount of leaves etc that had built up inside of the fenders and turned into dirt. I cleaned this out and sprayed under coating on the inside of the fenders to prevent further rusting. If you look closely, you can see the watermarks on the metal body parts!

Btw, i also had to replace the cabin filter which was also full of leaves...
Carl
Good thing you do not have ny roddent damage. Mice and even squirrels would be right at home in a mess like that. GOOD JOB! Show us more pics please. Of course we are interested on the before-after comparo pics :D

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,706 Posts
I hope the $9 stand is only secondary?
Looks like small pine needle made it via vent slots. I park my vehicles under oaks and the leaves are easy to scoop.
Worse case I had, on used W124 purchased in Texas, whole bottom cavity at the radiator behind front bumper was filled up with dead insects. That was like 1/2 bucket of dead bodies. The engine never overheated.

·
Registered
1999 E320 AWD, +127k miles
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bucs23, you are right about the rodents, if they nest in a car and start chewing wires that would be a nightmare to fix!

Those are the only pictures i have from that job. Most of the leaves enter from the gaps/water drains that are at the bottom corners of the windshield where the fender attaches to the body. There was more dirt not visible in the picture that i was able to remove with a long nozzle attached to a shop vac.

Mother Nature can be a PITA, last year i had a spyders nest in my steering angle sensor which caused many warning lights to come on! :crybaby2:

·
Registered
98 320
440 Posts
When I installed my sideskirts I found a small pile of dirt in the same location. Not sure how it got there, my car has been garaged for the last 4 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts