Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post some pics later, but here's the sweet deal I got:
I bought this from my uncle for $500 (way undervalue) because my dad in the past has sold him vehicles for less than they were worth...

Navy interior, 2.6 engine, 268,000 miles, white exterior...

This car is in near mint condition, as the uncle who owned the car before the uncle I bought it from was very meticulous in it's care. There's not a spot of rust anywhere on the car, and it needs a little touch up in a few tiny places like on the edges of a door or two.

The windshield has some pits, and I think that's fixable without replacement...

I have to install a new blower motor at some point, the bearings in it are bad...it still works though...

I am in the process of putting in a new driver's seat, as I found one for sale without a rip - all the others are pristine.

I may eventually have the carpeting redone, and I need to find some nice Mercedes branded floor mats (tips on finding those, anyone?) ... I also need the carpeting for the middle console as it's faded, and I need a new veneer for the lower console that contains the shifter...

The upholstery does need some work on the door panels too, one has a few screw sized holes in it, and the other has vinyl that has receeded away from the inner door handle a bit. They seem to also be missing the clips that hold them onto the doors in a couple of places.

The rear windows - one has either a bad motor or a bad relay, and the other has a bad regulator. I could use new seals on doors and windows all around.

Mechanically, I really just need to do the standard lube, oil, filter(s) - (it has a place for a filter element, and a screw on oil filter - any advice on that?), plugs and wires, cap and rotor, perhaps an ignition switch (it's a little iffy), and I need to also take off the transmission pan and replace it's filter and gasket - that's the only leak on the car.

Otherwise, I've already had a new muffler put on (it came with the old one in the trunk, lol), and I've removed the 1990's era car phone that was added at some point. There is still a wire for it under the headliner, which I haven't figured out how to remove quite yet. I just capped off the old power lines that went to the phone assembly, which was hidden beneath the back seat...

I also replaced the clip on one of the visors, only to find that the swiveling plastic part was also a little broken. I superglued it a bit, and managed to get the thing to stay in whatever position I put it in, and I'll replace it later...just not now.

I may get some euro styled light assemblies for the front and back sometime, too, as well as a new hood pad...oh...and I need to join the high mileage club.

I'm really looking for suggestions on other improvements/mods I can/should do, and also whether or not I should use both a filter element and screw on oil filter, as there are places for both on the car.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
Welcome , Is it going to be your money pit ??
Just keep driving it for awhile 2 see how much patient you are before any improvement, for now keep it drivable condition in safe manner is 1st priority then play it along...
Have fun.

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
The other filter cartrige thingy might be the power steering canister. It also has a filter down inside.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
Welcome , Is it going to be your money pit ??
Just keep driving it for awhile 2 see how much patient you are before any improvement, for now keep it drivable condition in safe manner is 1st priority then play it along...
Have fun.
+1

i also recommend driving it for 6 months or so to see if you want to stick with the car before making lots of changes and upgrades that will cost you time and alot more money then you originally thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts