Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the kid called me tonight and said the ML was totaled. Another driver ran a traffic light and t-boned her hard enough to roll the ML onto its passenger side. She's not badly injured, just some bruises and a few contusions from the glass (each and every window broke). The side airbags deployed. Of course it will be totaled.

Now, the strange thing is that TeleAid/mBrace was activated and someone from MBZ came on the line and checked on her and called the police! We have never had a subscription, so I find it odd that this happened. It has been in the local MBZ dealership for service (airbag recall, new key) over the last few months, so it is covered under roadside assist. I assumed that if you don't subscribe, you don't get help at all.

I guess I'll start the search for a replacement. Maybe a GLK?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Glad she’s OK!
It sounds like TeleAid was worth it. You may be able to turn that into a (slightly dramatized) ad for it.

·
18,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you find yourself driving in Cherokee County, GA, my advice is to get out as quickly as possible! The police (sheriffs) there are idiots. We got the accident report and the top section listing the demographic details is correct and indicates the other driver (#1) at fault. It even lists the citations issued to him for running a red light and driving without a license. It appears that he's an illegal alien, but at least he bought some car insurance so he could get plates. The problem is, the cop used the wrong vehicle numbers in the diagram and the narrative confuses the car numbers several times. It's obvious enough that a 5th grader could see that it's wrong, but the at-fault driver's insurance is saying they won't pay since the narrative sort of states that driver #2 (Katie) ran the light. On top of that, there were two witnesses there who helped her after the crash, and waited around to give their statement, but the cop said he "did not have time" to deal with them and that it was obvious what happened so their statements would not be needed. Ugh! She has an attorney, so hopefully they will get it worked out. If not, we'll file a negligence suit against the cop personally.

She had an accident in the same county last year (to the day!), almost the same scenario and another unlicensed (likely illegal alien) driver. Except that time, "suddenly" four witnesses, all with the same last name as the other driver , came out of a gas station and claimed they saw Katie run the light. The problem is, the lights are not visible from that gas station unless you are standing on the curb (which they were not). We just let Katie's insurance handle that one and chocked it up to a "learning experience" that "life is not fair".

·
Registered
350 Posts
Rudeney

Keep us posted to how this plays out. Her lawyer should advise her as to how the report can be change most states seem to leave it up to the officer. You can submit a corrected report or write a letter pointing out the errors and why they are wrong.
If they won't change it guess you discredit it in court.

"Officer you stated car 2 was traveling North then in the next paragraph it was traveling East how is that? Did car 2 travel around the block? Was that before or after car 2 was hit?"

I once was in a minor fender bender no damage to my car I put a small dent in her fender. I was pulling into a parking lot that at roadside had overgrow shrubs. She came at a diagonal across the entrance/exit to the main road, I was perpendicular. My left bumper touched front corner of her driver side fender.

Damage under our state limit for reporting $500. She wanted police, cop comes talks to her first for over 20 minutes. I hear her say "I work or use to work for county dispatch", the conversation goes on do you know this person and that person, what about so n so. Officer walks over to me and says " I got this you pulled in and hit her", no other questions at all for me. Nothing about my approach, speed, did I brake, where I though she was. Oh we did not even move the cars. Way before cell phones, so no photos.

Damage was so minor I just let insurance deal with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, ML held up pretty well - glad your daughter is OK considering. I had the same call last year from my daughter who's Suberator Outback got t-boned on the passenger side - that car held up too !

·
18,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, this is the one I repaired. In that accident (exatly one year ago to the date of this one!), the damage was all on the front right, absorbed by the fender and suspension and no airbags deployed. This time, the driver and passenger side and curtain airbags deployed. Presumably, the impact of the other car on the driver's side set off those bags, then when it rolled over onto the passenger side, those deployed.

We did get some good news today from her attorney. The sheriff has agreed to amend the accident report to correct the erroneous narrative and diagram.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
rudeney
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing