Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercede Benz 300D Turbo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, my son gave me a black 1985 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo with leather seats, sunroof etc. as a gift. He was the second owner, the original owner was the classic tale of a little old lady living in Pittsburg babied the care and rarely drove it. When my son got it it had 70,000 miles on it and paid $5,000. He drove it cross country to Los Angeles, where he barely drove it because he travels 10 months out of the year. When I received it as a gift, it had 75,000 miles. But there were some electrical problems which I think affected the oil indicator light and it ran out of oil. It no longer runs (without making a terrible noise). I have it at a repair shop (supposedly reputable) and the mechanic said he needs to pull the engine, that if it is minimally damaged it would cost $2600-2850 to repair, if more major he recommended a rebuilt engine costing $3500. I am torn as to what to do, invest money to repair the engine (and the oil indicator light!) or sell it to someone who can nurse it back to health. Advice is welcome.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts