Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
the stock brakes on all 3 of my w124's work great, I've never experienced fade or pulsing like I did on my volvos until I put Akebono rotors on them.

fyi, actually warped rotors are very uncommon... instead, you get uneven deposits on the rotors, and that causes pulsing when things get a little warmed up. properly heat cycling new brakes will forestall this.
Right now I don't think I have any issues with my brakes other than the rear pads looking like it's about to be metal on metal contact, and the rear rotor is absolutely destroyed with grooves, the front was changed about 2 years ago by the dealership pads and rotors. All I want are drilled or slotted rotors that don't warp. I heard Zimmerman makes cross-drilled rotors for our cars.

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
so you want style over performance, ok. can't argue with that.

btw, deviate too far from the stock braking forces, and the ABS will be suboptimal as it is calibrated based on the brakes behaving in a specific way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
so you want style over performance, ok. can't argue with that.

btw, deviate too far from the stock braking forces, and the ABS will be suboptimal as it is calibrated based on the brakes behaving in a specific way.
Well no I don't want it over performance, because there is no such thing as performance rotors for our cars. You guys said semi-metallic is better and oem rotors are fine. I simply cannot afford to buy upgraded calipers or a brake booster, but a rotor with holes or slots isn't too much more than stock, and it looks cool and could help a little in wet weather.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
if your brakes are up to factory spec and you have decent tires, these cars stop hard, true, and smoothly, with no drama over and over again in all kinda weather.
I have absolutely no complaints about our factory brakes, but If I want something that performs the same and looks cooler I'll take it.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
This thread is turning into a iPhone vs. Android conversation.

You want something that looks cool, is overpriced and sucks @ss OR something that just plain works.

Make up your mind.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This thread is turning into a iPhone vs. Android conversation.

You want something that looks cool, is overpriced and sucks @ss OR something that just plain works.

Make up your mind.
Well, first of all, I have an iPhone, now you're just being biased. I have made up my mind you guys recommend Zimmerman and I replied with asking about how the Zimmerman slotted rotors are.
I would love something that doesn't "suck @ss" but I also just want something a little bit aesthetically pleasing.
Please check these out and tell me if they are worth it and are also not crappy, isn't ATE the manufacture for w124 rotors or calipers?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ate-CW09114-3447-PremiumOne-Slotted-Disc-Brake-Rotor-Single-Rotor/263247620151?fits=Year%3A1995%7CModel%3AE320&epid=79104479&hash=item3d4ac7e837:m:me0zlPdzE00uPTKYYXmkeAQ

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
As I said before, I have zero issues with the ATE PowerDisc rotors since it is only a very small groove with less than 2mm depth. I have used them before on several vehicles and they all worked fine.

The problem with SLOTTED rotors is that you are paying premium for a compromised (weakened) rotor. The stock rotors, especially on the mark1 W124s is that the rotors are already marginally undersized. You start cutting slots into the rotor, you are left with a compromised braking system.

Let's hope that finally gets the point across.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As I said before, I have zero issues with the ATE PowerDisc rotors since it is only a very small groove with less than 2mm depth. I have used them before on several vehicles and they all worked fine.

The problem with SLOTTED rotors is that you are paying premium for a compromised (weakened) rotor. The stock rotors, especially on the mark1 W124s is that the rotors are already marginally undersized. You start cutting slots into the rotor, you are left with a compromised braking system.

Let's hope that finally gets the point across.
Yes point has been made, I will probably get this ATE Power Disc:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ate-CW09114-3447-PremiumOne-Slotted-Disc-Brake-Rotor-Single-Rotor/263247620151
Cause it looks cool, is really cheap and it is oe. So I guess I am going to get Front and Rear ATE Power Disc rotors, and Semi-Metallic Pagid pads. Unless there is anything better recommended from one of you guys. Or I could turn this into a full project and paint my calipers silver with the G2 caliper paint system, get braided hoses, do the brake fluid, and all rotors and pads.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Just make sure those discs are compatible with your model year and engine.

MB specs their brake system based on body and engine type. Check the ATE website if in doubt.

You need to do the brake fluid flush regardless. MB recommends, at a minimum, every 2 years preferably in the springtime.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just make sure those discs are compatible with your model year and engine.

MB specs their brake system based on body and engine type. Check the ATE website if in doubt.

You need to do the brake fluid flush regardless. MB recommends, at a minimum, every 2 years preferably in the springtime.
Ok will do, I think that these are compatible with my car. I just can't find the front powerdisc ate brakes where do you guys buy yours from?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
It is vital that you order by vin#. There were lots of production breaks on brake components during the W124 production run, especially on the rears.

However, generally speaking, the rear discs for a W124 sedan should use MB p/n#210 423 09 12

Here is the equivalent part in ATE PowerDisc form.

https://www.autodoc.pl/ate/958139

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
The OP has ample information to make his decision. I'll call this thread done.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Drill-Slot-Brake-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-Mercedes-Benz-S430-S500-W220-/391964075844?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

I just put these on my car Great Price and check the specs good quality rotors and they shipped em in 2 days to my door
I was looking at those too, they look a little sketchy, how long have you had them for?
Also, that companu can make up whatever they want and after reading what the users on this forum said about ceramic brakes, I don't want to take any chances

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It is vital that you order by vin#. There were lots of production breaks on brake components during the W124 production run, especially on the rears.

However, generally speaking, the rear discs for a W124 E320 sedan should use MB p/n#210 423 09 12

Here is the equivalent part in ATE PowerDisc form.

https://www.autodoc.pl/ate/958139
Yes those are the rear ones, but when I check the ATE website I can't find the front power discs?! I have looked everywhere is there even such a thing?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Reputable online vendors will list the vin# breaks, such as Autohausaz.com (see example linked)

MB dealers look up parts based on your vin#. You should too to avoid getting incompatible parts.

Example: the w124 wagons have at least 2 different rotor styles (vented or solid) depending on vin#.

https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c/mercedes/1995/1195578-e320/14-brake_wheel_hub/1896-disc_brake_rotor?s=d&page=1
Thank you very much for your knowledge, from now on I will use my vin for parts.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
9 Participants
E3201995USA
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing