Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake pads are starting to squeal and I can tell that they need to be replaced very soon, rotors have grooves in them. I keep looking and all I find are drilled, don't get me wrong they look awesome, but I don't want to deal with stress cracks, and it's just cosmetic. Slotted is the real deal, what are some good ones? Also, I want pads that don't create to much brake dust. Ceramic or Metallic as long as they work.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Zimmermann or Balo discs and Pagid pads for the win.

Slotted and especially drilled rotors are a complete waste of money on these cars. The only grooved discs I like are the ATE with the star shaped groove that promotes even pad wear. Once the groove is gone, rotors are done and need replacing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zimmermann or Balo discs and Pagid pads for the win.

Slotted and especially drilled rotors are a complete waste of money on these cars. The only grooved discs I like are the ATE with the star shaped groove that promotes even pad wear. Once the groove is gone, rotors are done and need replacing.
Thanks for the quick response:
So these Pagid pads are Semi-Metallic: PAGID
but a set of Brembo rear brakes that are Ceramic are cheaper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercedes-Benz-W202-C124-W124-R129-Rear-Ceramic-Brake-Pads-Set-Brembo-P50009N/352520113243

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
You said you wanted good pads. Nothing mentioned about being cheap.

On MB's, the preferred pads are Pagid, Ferodo, and Textar. Nothing wrong in principle with Brembo (a great brand), but they are not a main MB supplier or parts producer except for the higher end stuff like AMG. Again, total overkill for a street driven grandpa car like a W124.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm not necessarily trying to be cheap I'm just tryna be smart, because of ceramic pads from Brembo(amg's brake supplier) and many other performance cars are newer more efficient technology than semi-metallic and the fact that it's cheaper surprises me a lot. I am probably going to go with the brembos because I want ceramic pads very little brake dust and very quit, the only drawback is they need to be heated up, but they will also last way longer. But I am more concerned with pads, I do not want to spend more than $300 on brakes. I also don't want really cheap brakes, So, for now, I will go with the brembos unless there is anything way better and I just want some rotors that are slotted, definitely not drilled. Even if the slotted isn't for the track it would do just fine on the streets. So can any of you recommend any companies to go with I don't mind if it's oem or not, I just want something that has a good rep.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Well I'm not necessarily trying to be cheap I'm just tryna be smart, because of ceramic pads from Brembo(amg's brake supplier) and many other performance cars are newer more efficient technology than semi-metallic and the fact that it's cheaper surprises me a lot. I am probably going to go with the brembos because I want ceramic pads very little brake dust and very quit, the only drawback is they need to be heated up, but they will also last way longer. But I am more concerned with pads, I do not want to spend more than $300 on brakes. I also don't want really cheap brakes, So, for now, I will go with the brembos unless there is anything way better and I just want some rotors that are slotted, definitely not drilled. Even if the slotted isn't for the track it would do just fine on the streets. So can any of you recommend any companies to go with I don't mind if it's oem or not, I just want something that has a good rep.
Brembo one piece rotors warp way too easily. Centric rotors handle a lot more heat without warping. Also prefer metallic over ceramic pads and so do OEMs. In real world driving intial bite in an emergency situation is far more important than dust.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brembo one piece rotors warp way too easily. Centric rotors handle a lot more heat without warping. Also prefer metallic over ceramic pads and so do OEMs. In real world driving intial bite in an emergency situation is far more important than dust.
I heard the difference between ceramic and semi-metallic is marginal, I doubt it would be a safety risk going from semi-metallic to ceramic. But I guess if you are all saying semi-metallic is better on our cars I guess I'll just use it, I am so sick and tired of trying to get brake dust off my rims though. So i like the look of the ATE Power Disc but I can't find any for sale!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do you ask for advice then argue with whats offered ?
Well, I am not arguing I just said that I read that the difference isn't much but since you guys have more experience than me ill just take your word on it. I wanted this thread to have multiple people with experience, just cause one guy says something is the best doesn't mean it's the best. This is an important and expensive task for me and I want to make sure I get everything perfect. I don't want something I'll regret. There were like 2 million w124's produced and I know there are more people out there who know what's best for these cars. I brake pretty aggressively, and I "leadfoot" it at some lights. All I want are brakes that function good that generate less brake dust and that aren't noisy, right now my rims are like dirty three days after washing my car. I barely drive. My rear brakes are nearly gone and need replacing soon. Front is OK. If the trade of is a little less initial bite for the less brake dust and longer-lasting pads, then IMO so worth it. I don't come to this forum to argue, I ask about my discoveries like Brembo ceramic brake pads to see if anyone has used them and if they are any good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And again this car has so much potential, maybe a beemer is easier to do, but that doesn't make it as fun. I would love to slowly transition my stock car, to a more modern streetcar. Like I understand all of you have your own products and going OEM, but I don't care at all. If a product is good I'll take it. I just despise how I get flamed for not using 23-year-old development research Mercedes did in 1995. Like in 23 years the technology for designing car parts has got much better. If they rebuilt all w124s from the frame with today's tech they would last at 50 years by being properly maintained. Now I'm arguing a little because I am trying to get this point across.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Semi metallic is what works best for street driven cars, and is still what is used by the manufacturers of brand new cars. End of conversation.

A hydraulic brake system works by dissipating heat. Ceramic pads (despite containing copper) do not disperse heat nearly as well as metallic pads, resulting in heat transfer into the rest of the braking system which can then result in reduced initial brake bite, less pedal feel among others.

Ask all of the Porsche 911 and BMW M heads who "had to have" carbon brakes only to swap them over to metal come disc & pad time.

You want to the best year round brakes for street use? Besides the obligatory pads & rotors, spend the coins on brand new flex lines (such as Stoptech), a brand new master cylinder, new calipers and a top spec fluid like ATE Typ200

If you want to reduce brake dust, change your driving style and learn to read the road ahead of you. In other words, the brake pedal is your enemy and when you must use it do so as little as possible. No reason to jam on the brakes at every light.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Any pads for these cars are realitvley cheap. I'd say go for what you want, and report back honestly. If you don't like em, swap out for something else.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
In other words, the brake pedal is your enemy and when you must use it do so as little as possible. No reason to jam on the brakes at every light.
Except when you're in an emergency and you actually need those cold brakes to stop you as quickly as possible. But you used ceramic brake pads so your cold stopping distance is 15 feet longer than with the metallic pads the car was designed to use. Oh well, at least you won't have to worry about cleaning the brake dust off your wrecked car's wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
I tried ceramic pads a few years ago to reduce/eliminate brake dust on the wheels. I hated them. Kept thinking they'd break in and get better but they didn't after maybe a thousand miles I pulled them and installed Pagid or Textar. Until I tried the ceramics those were the only brands I used and since I tried the ceramics those are the only brands I use. Just bought Ate and Zimmerman front/rotors for 2 of my 124s and Textar pads.

OP If you want the ceramic pads I'll send them to you for the shipping cost. I think I bought 2 sets for a 1988 300TE. Rear ceramic pads weren't available for an 88 sedan at that time. If you want to pursue this I'll dig out the pads and snap some pics.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, this is what I wanted multiple proper opinions. DEFINITELY going with Semi-Metallic now, I understand I keep saying this but what is the BEST Semi-Metallic Pad that bites well, is quiet, and has less brake dust than the Mercedes Benz ones. The brakes on my car were installed by the dealership. I'm noticing PAGID or Textar is mentioned a lot so it must be really good. For the rotors I just want slotted badly, I understand that it doesn't do much, but just for the aesthetics it would go well with my rims. I even think the ATE Power Disc looks cool, but If there is anything else slotted that doesn't suck I'll take it!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Semi metallic is what works best for street driven cars, and is still what is used by the manufacturers of brand new cars. End of conversation.

A hydraulic brake system works by dissipating heat. Ceramic pads (despite containing copper) do not disperse heat nearly as well as metallic pads, resulting in heat transfer into the rest of the braking system which can then result in reduced initial brake bite, less pedal feel among others.

Ask all of the Porsche 911 and BMW M heads who "had to have" carbon brakes only to swap them over to metal come disc & pad time.

You want to the best year round brakes for street use? Besides the obligatory pads & rotors, spend the coins on brand new flex lines (such as Stoptech), a brand new master cylinder, new calipers and a top spec fluid like ATE Typ200

If you want to reduce brake dust, change your driving style and learn to read the road ahead of you. In other words, the brake pedal is your enemy and when you must use it do so as little as possible. No reason to jam on the brakes at every light.
Will changing the brake lines to steel ones do anything noticeable, cause I think mine are in amazing condition also, the calipers, and master cylinder, I have a feeling I need to change my brake fluid as I don't know the last time it was changed.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Installing the steel braid lines reduces/minimizes flex in the lines and improves pedal feel.

Re. said lines, just because they are stainless steel does not mean they are exempt from regular inspections and replacement like their rubber brethren.

Re. Pad choices. Semi metallics are dusty, that's just the nature of the beast but if I had to pick I'd go with the Pagids. The Textars seem the dustiest.

MB OE pads are Textar.

Forget the slotted rotor thing, instead focus on rotors that do not warp easily such as the Zimmermann ones.

You can't determine the health of a master cylinder or calipers just because it looks shiny from the outside. It's the internal rubber seals that perish with age. A brand new master cylinder can do miracles for having great pedal feel.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installing the steel braid lines reduces/minimizes flex in the lines and improves pedal feel.

Re. said lines, just because they are stainless steel does not mean they are exempt from regular inspections and replacement like their rubber brethren.

Re. Pad choices. Semi metallics are dusty, that's just the nature of the beast but if I had to pick I'd go with the Pagids. The Textars seem the dustiest.

MB OE pads are Textar.

Forget the slotted rotor thing, instead focus on rotors that do not warp easily such as the Zimmermann ones.

You can't determine the health of a master cylinder or calipers just because it looks shiny from the outside. It's the internal rubber seals that perish with age. A brand new master cylinder can do miracles for having great pedal feel.
I guess I can go with Pagids, if the have a little less dust then texture that awesome. I know you guys are the experts, but rotors can only warp if the are really hot and go through cycles of heat and cold, someone said only if they are red hot? Zimmerman sounds like awesome rotors, and I also kinda love the look of the cross-drilled even if it has absolutely no performance gains whatsoever, just for the looks on my car. Here you said yourself Jayare that "I have been very, very pleased the stopping ability of the ceramic pads and Zimmerman's." So is there anything that happened that changed your opinion. https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1281520-going-zimmerman-rotors-pagid-pads.html. I am fine right now doing the brake lines, but I really don't want to touch the master cylinder unless I upgrade it.

·
Premium Member
6,718 Posts
the stock brakes on all 3 of my w124's work great, I've never experienced fade or pulsing like I did on my volvos until I put Akebono rotors on them.

fyi, actually warped rotors are very uncommon... instead, you get uneven deposits on the rotors, and that causes pulsing when things get a little warmed up. properly heat cycling new brakes will forestall this.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
9 Participants
E3201995USA
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing