1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://forums.*.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105028

replace * with m b w o r l d.

This is a good modification for people with a pulley kit. The pulley adds good power but things get pretty hot. I'd previously discussed this with Kleemann and they said that this was a good change.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
SteveL when are you heading their way for fitting on the headers?

I was interested in the cooling kit until I saw the price. Seems a bit steepfor what you get.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
430 - 4/16/2005 2:54 PM
SteveL when are you heading their way for fitting on the headers?
I met a local fabricator who can make headers. I'm hoping to bring the car in this week for him to have a look. It will be interesting to here his comments on how tight it is.

I was interested in the cooling kit until I saw the price. Seems a bit steepfor what you get.
Yeah the price is a little steep. I've seen the pump for $185 so the parts total is probably $250-$300. Plus they need to make some money and the installation should be quite clean with the parts provided. That has to be worth something. However, if I consider the time it would take me to come up with the parts myself. Still, I was hoping for something in the $750 price range.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I've seen the pump for $185 so the parts total is probably $250-$300.
Who's pump did you see for $185.00? This looks like an easy upgrade with no obvious negatives.... [;)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
SteveL, where are you located? Also this guy who can make headers. Is it that he can make them because we are just talking about welding some pipes together? Or does this guy have exerpience making headers? If not made properly you can lose HP instead of gaining it. Last time I talked with a place about making them they told me they needed the car for 2 weeks. This was after a couple hour session to determine if it would even be worth while. After the first session they would be able to qoute prices.

So you know there are 2 manufacturers supposedly working on headers for our cars (well the Crossfire). The first is Hotshot they are pretty well known in the Japanese import crowd and have made some very good products. The other is Hooker a well known muscle car performance manufacturer.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruce, here you go, it is a Johnson marine pump, Type: C090P5-1 No: 10-24190-1.

Just seach for the part number on this page. I've inquired at other places but this was the least expensive I've found.

http://www.mesamarine.com/JOHNSON.htm

Bruce, since you track your car, I think this would be a great change for you.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
430 - 4/19/2005 8:10 AM
SteveL, where are you located? Also this guy who can make headers. Is it that he can make them because we are just talking about welding some pipes together? Or does this guy have exerpience making headers? If not made properly you can lose HP instead of gaining it. Last time I talked with a place about making them they told me they needed the car for 2 weeks. This was after a couple hour session to determine if it would even be worth while. After the first session they would be able to qoute prices.
This guy is a fabricator and has made many headers in the past. He does a lot of work on race Porsches so I'm not worried his ability to make a good header. The real issue is expense as he works by the hour.

So you know there are 2 manufacturers supposedly working on headers for our cars (well the Crossfire). The first is Hotshot they are pretty well known in the Japanese import crowd and have made some very good products. The other is Hooker a well known muscle car performance manufacturer.
This is the other option, just wait until someone has something.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
SteveL thought I would bring this old subject up. First wondering how sure you are the pump will fit. I am tempted to give it a try.

Second any more thoughts on headers? I was offered to have a custom set made today. Quote was ~$4k. Altough that would probably end up including downpipes, replacement of primary cats with highflow cats mover further downstream and removal of secondary cats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts