Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say thank you to everyone on this forum that has provided great insight and assistance with respect to my first (and probably last) Mercedes.

Long story short: bought it new in July......19 days in the shop in the first 6 months of ownership (I baby my cars....never abused). Awful dealer with awful service. Drove 4 hours round trip for day 20 in the shop on Saturday at a larger, and presumably more reputable dealer..... Tried to hit me with $400 in repairs for parts and an alignment despite only 22K on the car. I can see the alignment, but not parts to correct a fundamental flaw. If I buy the car, and the wheels are toed in slightly, I expect a dealer to fix it to where the car is not toed in without sticking me with a bill for additional parts.

Result: Drove straight to the Lexus dealer, purchased a new IS250. Traded the C230. Pick up up later this week.

If only my benz was as good to me as the people that post on this forum!

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon
1,023 Posts
You didnt pursue the Lemon Law? Thats what i did with the first C320 i bought, the dealership just took it back 2 months down the road, cause they simply couldnt fix the problems. But i got another 320 on their lot and it has been somewhat problem-less.

·
Registered
C320 4matic
1,743 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Benz. Mine has treated me very well for the 1.5 yrs of ownership. You'll enjoy the Lexus a lot as well. I'll be driving a Yellow IS300 all Memorial Day weekend. Good Luck with your new car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ah! So it WAS the alignment. Toe was out every 10k on my 202. I knew it. FYI, by the traditional measure, 10k a year is acceptable mileage on a luxury car. You've been 22k since July? I'd say $400 in repairs in 22k is pretty damned reasonable. You don't buy a Benz if you can't stomach $1000 in maintenence and wear repairs every 10-20k.

This is not a lemon-law issue; OP has posted about roaring tires (now obviously caused by neglected alignment) and is throwing in the towel. Car dealers love people like this. Take $10k in depreciation, don't realize they were at fault for not doing the maintenance, and then go piss away $30k on another new car less than a year later. You can't just drive it like you stole it and expect it to be a like driving a Sonata or a Camry. Benz alignment is very complex, and I dare say if you had done an alignment at 10k, your tires would never have started roaring, the car suddenly wouldn't be a "lemon."

The only "fundamental flaw" is in not realizing how picky Benzes are about maintenance (incl alignment). In sum:

1) your tires roared because of alignment
2) you drove it excessively in a 9 month span and didn't do alignments
3) your dealer is totally incompetent

That's the Car's (MB's) fault?

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Just wanted to thank the group, and get trashed. I assumed I might. I've never "driven it like it was stolen". I drive 31 miles up the highway and drive 31 miles home. The rest of the time it sits at the airport. I looked at a BMW before I decided on the lexus. I got my first car from this same sales person 9 years ago when I was 16. He asked me at 21K if those were the original tires. I said yes. He said they aren't supposed to have that much tread and that it proves I have "babied that car".

It's interesting I'm young buy savvy enough to get enough off on the front side to be able to retain every penny of my equity and then some, not once, but twice in a row now as i traded cars. I don't work hard just on the trade, but on the buy so I retain my equity, which I did in addition to some extra. That's why I am 25, work in strategy at a fortune 500, and can "throw away" as you say $30K on a car. By the way, I save a larger percentage of my income that would make the savings rate of the average affluent Asian and some Europeans blush so I'm not just some young guy with a nice car and that's it. I take offense to the thought that I am an idiot not savvy enough to do business, trash my car, and throw away my money. Do you work for that dealership or something? It sounds like how they treat their customers.

PS....I got another $1K out of Mercedes to say "I'm sorry for the trouble you had" a while back....I put it in Wal-Mart stock when I received it back in October and made a 42% return when I sold a few weeks ago. Hardly someone that throws $$ away.

I'll enjoy my lexus.

Seriously though, thanks to everyone that provided meaningful and helpful feedback during the ownership of my C230.

·
Registered
13 Posts
22k is 22k, and the car needed an alignment. If it's all highway, of course you will have tread. I got 35k out of a set of Pilot Sport A/S because of highway driving - and alignment every 10k. The premise is still that the car is a piece or trash because it needed tires and an alignment. Roaring tires while still showing good tread is a classic symptom of toe problems. And, toe is what tends to go out on these cars at those mileage intervals. The fact remains that you sold your car because of toe being out and a bad dealer experience. It's your decision, but don't trash MB or your car because you are looking for justifcation to cure your boredom and get a new car :) I'm sure the Lexus will be fine; our 203 C-classes aren't really true MBs IMO. though properly-optioned they can be pleasurable and fun (3.5!) You're probably going to find that any Lexus beats it. Drive a 204 Sport car or any V8 Benz, and I doubt you could deal with any Lexus after that.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Depends on how you drive. My cars go years between aligments, my kid goes through an aligned every year and all she drives is "highway miles". I have not noticed any flaw in the car that requires more alignment than any other car I own. I know MB will do a free alignment in the first year under warranty, after that it's a maintenance item like oil, brakes, battery, tires, etc.

But I too know about imcompetent MB dealers, my local MB dealer has the least competent mechanics in the area, frankly, Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube has far better mechanics. My MB dealer is so bad that 3 times they messed up oil changes. Once they didn't do it but charged me for it, once they forgot to tighten the oil filter and sprayed oil everywhere, once the overfilled it. But they do have the best car wash in town.

Good luck with the Lexus, they are well built.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
I think my car spent a total of several months in the shop, the 1st couple years, but they always provided a loaner for me to drive, so WTF?
If they didn't provide loaners, I can see how that might be a problem.
But if they're footing the bill, and getting things fixed, it's their dime!
I'm not going to eat 10-15 grand in losses without 1st working to get things resolved.

I learned early on, no problem was too small to get the dealer involved with,
and especially early in the ownership.
2007 you'd think they'd have the bugs worked out.

For me, I think, being picky with them was good, it forced them to
bring the car up to snuff, got all the bugs out, and now I'm running just fine.

I wonder if a Lexus would be any different?
Good luck.

You did have alignment warranty, and those parts would've been free
(I got it done) I'm assuming you're talking about the adjustment bolts.
You just waited too long.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry to hear this.

My C240 had oodles of issues until the 4yr/50k mark.

I've heard that used benzes are the best deal because the first owner dealt with all the issues. I believe it. Got mine at 48k and the only real issue was a power door lock and ignition switch. Now at about 63k miles and doing fine.

She longs for her B Service though... I'm probably going to reset the service light and sell it back to CarMax for an 08 Accord though. More my style cost wise. :)

Been a fun little car though. Safest feel I've ever felt!

IS is hot, enjoy it!

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
I put 44,000Km/27,340 miles on mine in less than a year and a half, never needed an alignment. And I drive the car like I stole it! If your car has nothing wrong as far as suspension goes, you should never need an alignment. If it does, than there is something wrong with your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts