1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
It's got the goodies. :thumbsup:

Not sure about the 70k mile claim though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
That seems like a ridiculously low price for a Euro AMG coupe with only 70k on the clock. It should go for a lot more money if it is what it is. Seems like a steal! I was looking at low mileage Euro coupes last year and they were all at least $10k and up in great condition. Has the market tanked that badly or is this car really a wreck in disguise and needs another 6k to make it right?

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
I thought it was low also. I did a reverse lookup of the seller's phone number...it appears he is the owner of a collection agency. He might just be trying to get his money back quickly from a bad loan. If the car was put up against the loan it might explain why he doesn't seem 100% sure about the milage. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
That seems like a ridiculously low price for a Euro AMG coupe with only 70k on the clock. It should go for a lot more money if it is what it is. Seems like a steal! I was looking at low mileage Euro coupes last year and they were all at least $10k and up in great condition. Has the market tanked that badly or is this car really a wreck in disguise and needs another 6k to make it right?
Jono has a euro SEC in his shop right now from a friend of mine in NJ. Bought it in Texas for a pretty good price (more miles than this one) but needed a TON of work. Its been there for several months now basically getting an overhaul. Didn't appear to need that much at first, but once they got into it, well...as Bruce has said many times, and others, you can quickly spend thousands getting them in shape!

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm all for doing your due diligence but for all the clamoring for vintage cars on this board, whenever somebody relays an ad it seems that paralysis by analysis sets in and some outsider swoops down and drives off with it. I remember posting about this 1982 500SEC AMG:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd-sdl-class/1262550-fs-1982-500sec-amg-euro.html
and after much ado and tire-kicking, it sold for $5700. That seller didn't know what he had in the car (it showed up on CL SF a couple of weeks later for $12700) and I have a feeling that this guy doesn't, either.
Fortunately, there have been some happy exceptions to the rule and a couple of guys lucked into some nice w126s. I'm not saying the rubberbands should fly off the checkbook, sight unseen - but if I was in SoCal right now, I'd give this a serious sniff.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
If I were closer , I would be looking at this one as well.... of course I don't need another 126 right now! Perhaps this 126 is a victim of the foreclosure economy. Lots of folks are loosing their homes or struggling to make ends meet so the toys must go.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,732 Posts
I saw the ad on CL some time ago, but I have my eyes on a rare (for CA) Gen II SEC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts